Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mat Su pike

Default Mat Su pike

OK, I think I got the bruiser that straightened my swivel the other day.
    Many thanks go to Travis, who had a camera to take this pic after I realized I had forgotten mine. 45" long, 23lbs, 19" girth.
    also thanks to LungShot and dirtofak for their posts as to what this lake has to offer. lets clear 'em out!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hmmm, I forgot, which lake did you fish and can you give me directions? Nice fish. I would eat pike over salmon/trout anyday.

Default couple more pics after getting back home

couple more pics after getting home before the fillet knife got a good workout.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Man thats a HOG, I think your my new hero. So is there a good story that goes with her?

I yet to be out this year for ice pike, but man ya got me pacing the office floor for sure. Nice Job.

Default Water Wolf - good name for a pike fisherman

your user name definitely implies that you like pike. I have taken it personally that they invade and conquer great trout lakes and some of the slower rivers. They aren't the best to eat, but if you remember "never cry wolf" where he eats the lemmings and it starts to intimidate the overbearing pests? I know its a stretch, but i like to think about that as I crunch their pikey bones between my teeth.

biggg unnn!!! wow!!! so, between you and me what's your secret/spot?you know pike are an invasive spceies and need to be irradicated, right. cummon i wanna help.

good job man!

Nice fish! Very close to the size that I saw last ummm errrrr year.

Did you put a tape on it? Or a scale?

We can't clear them out. We can harvest them though. Pike are now a resource of this area. Without a huge poisoning program (that may cause more problems than it fixes) they are here until something kills them off.

Do you have a wheeler or snowmachine? If so I might have a suggestion.

Mike

Default location

tcman and n8r - read my previous posts and you'll get the info. it's no secret spot, but locals on snow machines keep coming up to me and said they had no idea there were pike there.?!? ADFG has had this info out there for a long time.

Water Wolf - caught with polar ice tipup, ice line and 20lb steel leader. hand lining her in was not easy. about a dozen runs of 30-60+' had me worried about breaking off again. getting her to the hole and lined up to come out was chore #2. very glad I switched to 10" auger a couple years ago. had to cram both hands into the hole and got her by the gills. my hands are feeling it now, but not then. she was still shaking pretty hard coming out and man, I kept lifting and she kept growing! my biggest so far was 34" 11lbs, so thats my new best by a bunch.

dirtofak - measurements in top of thread. I been harvesting them as much as I can for 4-5 years now, but you're right. it useless to think we can catch up. we can't hope to stop, only to contain. mostly I 4-wheeler or snowmachine (got both) out to Flathorn and Redshirt, but this is nice for afternoon hunts. any other places? sign me up!
    Last edited by onthefrinj; 01-07-2008 at 21:05. Reason: add reply

Well I'm darn sure excited for ya, and congrats on the new best. I bet she was fun to tug with.

Yeah, I think I like pike fishing, like most like fly fishing for trout. Maybe more so, LOL, and man I think they taste good. Lucky for me the wife loves pike and hates salmon so any chance I get she's all for it.

Thanks again for sharing.

Just a sweet pike hog. Great pics and thanks for sharing
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

onthefrinj,

Do a google search for filleting pike. Several methods to remove all the bones. I find the only thing worse than pike slime is Y bones so I get rid of both.

Default Pike

We usually get some ice fishing and just fillet them. When I get about 8-10 pounds of fillets I process them. They get run through the meat grinder 2 times. On the third pass I mix in Italian flavored bread crumbs. Them you take the mixture and make fish patties. Freeze the patties and you have an pretty good fish meal that is different and easy to fix. Just thaw and brown on both sides in a little oil.

Odd fish, that may not be big enough for a meal can be added. Like once in a while we got a crappie or a bass. Not enough for a meal, so they went into the grind bag for pattie mix.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default Blind taste test...

I was unable to distinguish between pike and walleye when they were cut the same size and cooked the same way.

It was the blindfold test; otherwise I could distinguish by the more yellow flesh of the pike.

I consider walleye the most superior tasting lake fish out there.
    Now there are two species that rank number one...

http://www.alaskanauthor.com

Default another vote

I find northerns (pike to you guys) to be top notch table fare. The way to get the bones out is located on the ADFG site under the invasive species stuff.

I've been doing it for years and was told by my grandfather it was an "old indian trick". Who knows though...
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

Default bones and stuff

sorry guys, I didn't mean I actually eat the bones. just a figure of speech. I do fight to get a boneless fillet though. I follow the patterns laid out on the different sites. mostly works. sometimes they just don't cooperate. I will be trying the pickle method this time as I got about 10+lbs of bone free fillets of this one. My brother swears its delicious and you don't have to even bone them well if you cure them this way. makes doing the smaller ones easy. we'll see in about 2 weeks...

Dave I'll have to try that pattie thing, sounds like super idea. Thanks for sharing it.

Hey Frinj, what did that big trout eater have in its stomach?

Quote Originally Posted by WaterWolf View Post
    Dave I'll have to try that pattie thing, sounds like super idea. Thanks for sharing it.

Hey Frinj, what did that big trout eater have in its stomach?
    Ditto, sounds like a great idea.

Default empty

Water Wolf - I'm sure you would think as I did that she would be full of everything from trout to missing boat buoys, but she was dry as a bone. I even traced her gullet from throat to rear exit 'cause I couldn't believe it. not even an old stickleback. weird eh? maybe she was entering the spawn? She did have 2 very large skeins of eggs. I thought that was 1-2 months from now. maybe a biologist can shed some light.

Yeah, I'm thinking May or Early June for the spawn but would have to look that up.

While a little suprised, not to much. Me and a buddy pulled a 41" and 40"er, from a lake in June one year and neither had anything in them. Which then was even a suprise.

We kept a few fish that trip and we found one mid 20's with about a 6 in pike in it, and a few other mid 20's with bugs, beetles leaches, and a snail in the pipes, but the rest of them were empty.

Quote Originally Posted by MNViking View Post
    I find northerns (pike to you guys) to be top notch table fare. The way to get the bones out is located on the ADFG site under the invasive species stuff.

I've been doing it for years and was told by my grandfather it was an "old indian trick". Who knows though...

I found this video on youtube, really helped me learn how to remove the Y-Bones.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=bcWyGrV0qao

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast