Thread: Winter Moose Hunting

Default Winter Moose Hunting

What is the best way to hunt moose in the winter? I would imaging calling doesn't work. Is it best to just go up to a high spot and glass?

Thanks

Wink Winter Moose

I spend a lot of time on my Sno-Go all winter long and I run into moose in the willow bottoms eating away. It takes time and getting to know your country but I can find moose almost anytime because I know where those beast hang out and my Ski-Doo gets me into the backcountry with ease. Its no mystry where they hang out it just takes time covering the country.

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Backcountry Rentals
    Your best bet in Rafts and camp rentals
    www.northwestalaska.com
    Kotzebue, Alaska
    33 miles north of the Arctic Circle

Hop on a snowmachine and go riding until you spot one or ride up to a vantage point and glass until you spot one.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

Quote Originally Posted by MARV1 View Post
    Hop on a snowmachine and go riding until you spot one or ride up to a vantage point and glass until you spot one.
    Then shoot the one that is closest to the trail pull up next to it butcher it, load it and go home. At least that is how it is supposed to work...

Default that and tracking

Quote Originally Posted by jim mcleary View Post
    What is the best way to hunt moose in the winter? I would imaging calling doesn't work. Is it best to just go up to a high spot and glass?

Thanks
    getting up high and glassing is always a good idea,with winter and snow, tracking is a big player in harvesting,learn how to tell a bull from a cow track and try not to chase the game down with machines but stalk by foot and you will tell the diff. in the meat.

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

Also 'try' not to take the animal by 'chasing' it down with machines because it is illegal, which raises the question of how someone knows how the meat will taste after it has been run down...?

Default after 20yrs of eating it

Quote Originally Posted by sockeye1 View Post
    Also 'try' not to take the animal by 'chasing' it down with machines because it is illegal, which raises the question of how someone knows how the meat will taste after it has been run down...?
    you tend to tell the diff, after 20 yrs of hunting and not being able to harvest at times and taking donations, just like the guys out fishing the bay grabing as much as they can with little thought as to how a fish will sour with the rough handleing

Quote Originally Posted by sockeye1 View Post
    Wow. Can't we all just get along? Not many of us have had the luck of shooting animals while they were blissfully sleeping. I assume this is what you do since you don't know what meat tastes like from an animal that was spooked and has that certain "adrenaline rush" taste in the meat. It doesn't take much to taint the meat.

As far as winter moose hunting goes, I really enjoy it. I cover a lot of ground and glass from good, high visibility areas. As mentioned they will like to stay around good grazing areas. Also areas they may have better chances of avoiding predators.

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

I have killed and eaten animals pumped up from being spooked on foot, although I admittedly try and kill them while they 'blissfully' sleep. But you clearly indicated that meat tastes poor when they are pumped with adrenaline from being chased down with machines- I was merely clarifying that it is in fact illegal to chase moose with machines. Sorry if I assumed too much- I was merely reading exactly what you wrote.