Thread: 180 point ram ds123 sheep hunting question

Default 180 point ram ds123 sheep hunting question

When you draw ds123 and do your research and find a super ram to hunt and assuming the the winner of the Governor's permit want's to hunt the same ram. What would be fair if you both were after the same sheep? How far would you be willing to go if the guy who paid the big bucks would not budge/play fair? This scenario will probally happen to someone if it had not already.

Default Should be a non issue BUT....

First thing that comes to mind is that it'd sure suck to spend 100k and only kill the second biggest ram in the area.

i say hunt the sheep, he bought a tag not a sheep you beat him to it oh well for him, he beats you to it, oh well for you, but you've gotta have some guidlines, don't run past them, camp next to them yell at them, or try to scare the sheep at all. or if its to close to call maybe get together and see whats up, if they don't budge, give them a time frame then your back in the game? play it by ear i guess.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default First things first.....

one has to locate a trophy sheep first. Once you have found a "big 'un" there is no for certain way to know if indeed you have located "the biggest one" and that is assuming both hunters are hunting at the same time. Two sheep hunters zeroed in on the same sheep at the same time in 75 square miles of sheep country, tho possible, is on the less likely side, but if that should happen then common sense hopefully would prevail and the hunter who 1st spotted the ram it seems to me should be allowed to pursue his stalk without interference from anyone else.

Default Pre season scouting

I don't think it would be all that hard to locate the biggest sheep in the area. I would do it the same way that the guide would. Who spotted the ram 1st? Are you talking pre-season or opening day? Would a packer set up in a tent be concidered first one there? Would a race up the mountain be a option that would be fair? I truley think that hunt 123 would be a once in a lifetime chance given the odds.

The number of "what if's" is potentially infinite and hence without a definative finite answer.

The 14c Gov's Tag is for all of 14c while DS 123 is only for a specific area within 14c. Its Possible that the biggest ram in all of 14c might exist outside of the 123 boundary.

But who care's really.

If I drew the 123 tag and the guy that spent the bigs buck to get there called and asked me how much for me to NOT hunt becuase "The Big One" exists in 123....I suspect that the amount i would say is probably equal to what he already paid for his hunt (that is after all "the market rate" for a tag of this nature), or my mortgage balance - whichever is greater.

Seriously - at the end of the day the guy with cash doesn't get the right to bust a big sheep over the guy that drew it - just a tag to hunt - thats all. Everything else is no different that the guys already competing in the rest of 14c

I think we should have a contest for most useless questions/threads. This one will get some consideration.

Seriously, there have to be better things to discuss.

good idea oakman, are draw results out yet?
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default I would bet you dont hunt sheep

Quote Originally Posted by oakman View Post
    I think we should have a contest for most useless questions/threads. This one will get some consideration.

Seriously, there have to be better things to discuss.
    I have been fortunate to have hunted the 14C permit area 7 times. Only drawing once myself others being family. The time i drew i found a shooter and several days before start of the season a guide had a packer camped on him. I knew the guide and had been talking to him preseason. I opted to go after a different ram. The client took a 42x14.7 and I blew a sneak on a 40"thin horn.
    Another time after some head butting with a Guide we decided it was in our best interest to hunt together as the bigger sheep were in one location. Drew straws to see who got the first pick, we lost client 40x14.9 us 38.5x14.2.
    Back when the 1st gov's permit was sold we had a 2nd season hunt. I spotted the biggest ram that i had ever seen, he was hanging with two bros that were hogs too. The governors permit holder went after that ram,ran into some problems and did'nt get a sheep. We talked to 2 party hunters and they wanted to go back to were the big rams were and perfered to hunt alone.We respected that and decided to take a 41x13.5. they did not get a sheep.They even tried to go into the same small valley that we told them we would be in but the alders choked them out. The big rams were not ever taken. My question was what would you do if you knew where the biggest ram that you ever laid eyes on and knew that there was only two permits and you can be sure that he will be going after the same sheep? It might be something to think about.

Default Biggest Ram in 14C

2 things, Gov tags have been going for around $10k or less these days I thought. Wish they drew more for the funding of sheep management.

Second The Gov tag winner hunts all of 14C and before the regular season 10 Aug from what I remember, so the big ram would be gone before your DS 123 hunt anyway. If non res, he's guided and will pursue the biggest he and his guide can find. Likely hunting the deepest rams others never go far enough into to find...

I don't think that info is correct about the Gov tag winner being able to hunt before everyone else. Might want to check on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45 View Post
    I don't think that info is correct about the Gov tag winner being able to hunt before everyone else. Might want to check on that one.
    Yeah, was thinking the same.

BigRam$, I'm not sure where you're getting your info, but I'm pretty certain that you're wrong on both counts. They do not get to hunt early, and the governor's tags have been going for considerably more than $10k.

Default Gov's tag

in '06 Gov's tag high bid was $100,00
    in '07 high bid was $65,000