Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pics of Moose

Default Pics of Moose

Mods if this is in the wrong forum please move it. I just didn't think it fit in the Gen discussion.

I got these in an email. I don't have any details. I can only guess that this is somewhere in Canada. Nice bull, this should generate some good discussion.

Enjoy,

so do those count as brow tines? Seems like theres no split between the main palm and the brow palm

More importantly how on earth did he get that in his pickup like that? The animal is impressive, getting it in the truck is even moreso
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    so do those count as brow tines? Seems like there's no split between the main palm and the brow palm

More importantly how on earth did he get that in his pickup like that? The animal is impressive, getting it in the truck is even moreso
    Good question. I count 8 brow tines on each side. The bull has a mid antler point in the middle of the bay on both sides. there is definitely a brow palm though.

Bottom line you wouldn't need to count tines on this one.

I got a forked horn moose in a pickup whole with 4 of us but I could not imagine getting a full sized moose like this in a pickup WOW!!!

My guess is Canada also. I've never seen anyone but Canadians and hunters from Maine put a whole moose in a pickup. Had to be close to good driving. Here's a photo of a friend's moose from 2 years ago. 76" spread, shot across the inlet from Kenai.

Default wow

How on earth did they get it in the back of that truck? Must have used a come along or a winch. That things probably 1700lbs or more! Any details about it? Like spread?

Default Wow

That looks like alot of work. Lucky guy. I bet he paid good money to take that Bull.
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Don't let pictures fool you...Thats a mid-size Dodge dakota pick-up, with a small bed...unlike what we drive up in AK.

Default Done that....

I've brought cows home that way. But I was fairly close to home so I could hang them up and get the hide off quick, then take 'em apart in a clean enviroment.

I gut them there, drag them to the truck whole with the four-wheeler with a rope around the neck.

Position the truck in the ditch with the tail gate down like a loading ramp. Tie a heavy rope around the frame between the cab and the bed with enough rope to come over the top of the bed. Hook up the chainsaw winch and pull. Five minutes later and after you put the wheeler back on the trailer and trailer on the truck you on your way home.
    Combat Vet by choice! Defender of this great nation and people (Which unfortunately also includes the stupid and the ignorant.)

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:_R_ZqAiK-e_U0M:<a href=http://hometeamsonline.com/photos/hockey/ARCTICLIONS/Ice_Puppies_Logo_Light_with_shading.jpg target=_blank rel=nofollow>http://hometeamsonline.com/photos/ho...th_shading.jpg</a>

Support Youth Hockey!
    http://www.hometeamsonline.com/teams...Y&s=hockey&t=c

Look at the driver in the black truck, he's wearing hunter orange which is required while hunting in Maine, I bet thats where they took it. Nice bull for a Canadian moose, I'd say he's between 55" and 60"s.

i'd go with the 50-55 spread, probably 30 inches at the ear tips, look at that compared to the 75 incher in the picture mid post, pretty moose rack, tight and pretty. would like to see that in a 65-75" bull though.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Lightbulb My guess...

Is a front end loader. My father shot an elk that ran down a hill in to an area that was accessible by the land owners loader. They just hoisted him up and laid him in the truck. Here is the pic.
    When all else fails...ask your old-man.

AKArcher

I'm not sure if they have Game-Ranch moose in Canada, I guess its possible, I do know however, they have farm raised moose in Finland, I saw pictures how they grow some big monsters. They also raise moose for dairy products. Regardless, that is a monster, If I got one like that by fair chase, the pictures be coming down and he'd be going on the wall!!!...hehehe..............CK

Default Fence Post

Anyone notice the fence post sticking out of it's chest? What's that about? Why is there no blood on his nose or anything? I'll bet he still has his guts in him. It's just plain wierd; nice rack though.

If it was fair-chase, I can only imagine getting something like that loaded into a truck whole. Helio? endloader, 18 of your closest friend that happen to be in the bush with you?

Nice moose.

I saw one up here that would blow that one away! I thought it was 2 caribou standing next to each other. Then it moved and I realized that it was a moose holding those two "bou" on its head! Rack extended to its butt when it looked over at me. The really sad thing is that it will die of old age cause I saw it on a tour of Denali Park!

Theres huge bulls in Tonsina Walk in Area too, but who's gonna walk in and walk out with one?......Not me!

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

I'd wager him close to 60-62"- he lays out pretty well. Super heavy!! Here is mine from this fall- I put him about 60" until I saw the extra fold in his left antler. He actually taped out at 67"
    Last edited by sockeye1; 01-20-2009 at 07:49.

Holy redneck haulout.

That's an impressive bull though.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

Default hmmm

There is a maple tree or some kind of tree we dont have up here in the background (the red one) Ive got one in my yard here in Juneau but it barely clings to life so Im pretty sure that moose came from some place south of here. Also the spread isn't as impressive as I thought - I think it's just the huge brow palms, and tines that make it so enormus looking. Also someone said earlier "I bet someone paid good money to take that bull". Based on the fact they are hauling it out with a small personal truck I highly doubt they paid more than what it cost for gas, and a tag. Actually Ive got a weird feeling that thing is just road kill.... as in "hit by a truck". Still a big friggin bull though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast