Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rabbit Creek Shooting Range

Default Rabbit Creek Shooting Range

It looks like the peoples rebulic of California have infiltrated the Rabbit Creek Shooting Park. They have a new rule that only allows 10 rounds in the magazine of semiautomatic firearms. Why would they create a rule like that?

They also restrict the type targets you can shoot at...no targets that resemble a human shape. I think it's because of the local residents near the reange.

Default well it starts somewhere!

Last time I went there I was upset with the way it was run.
    I have been to a range alot in the last 5 years. I had to go every other month for 4 years while in the military. The guy who ran the one on rabbitt creek was insane and treated me like a kid who has never held a gun. I hope that the people making these silly rules don't start to ruin other things in Alaska. It's to bad there's not another range near by run by true alaskan's then they could make it hard for these crazy people with there "rules".
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Yep,

I was there this weekin shooting my 10/22 and i got yelled at and told that if i do it again that i would be kick out for good. I was useing my 25 and 50 round mags for the 10/22. So i stuck a 25 rounder in and shot as fast as i could .. i am a member at birch wood i will just go there.

I also joined as a member at Birchwood on Saturday and I will not be returning to Rabbit Creek Shooting Range because of my multiple negative experiences there. I think that it is time to file a formal complaint with Alaska Division of Fish and Game about how the rifle range is managed.

Become an EPM member at Birchwood and you receive your own gate "key" card.
    You can shoot when you want. Best $150 I spend every year.
    Most people do not realize how good of a range this is. Size wise, it is I believe the 7th largest public range in the USA.
    Tennessee

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Well, I cant really argue with any of the comments about Rabbit Creek……….. the rules, although I know they are for the safety and protection of everyone, seem to be executed with……….. well shall we say an extremely zealous militaristic style. Not my kind of thing, but hey. For me it boils down to distance and time. And even with all the BS associated with bunny creak, it is still only a 15 minute drive from my house. I much prefer the Birchwood range, but it adds at least an hour or more to my total travel time. And for a guy like me, with a pregnant wife, two kids and two jobs, I got allot of stuff, but time aint one of them, and is in fact, definitely my most precious commodity. So for me at least Rabbit creek works ok. I get in, I shoot, I keep my pie hole shut, and I get out. Done and done.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Beginning of the end.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

Is it always the same guy there running it? I stopped in for a few minutes and saw some of what was said on here. I have shot at many ranges across the country, and some overseas. I have never seen such arrogance at any of them. That guy I saw is a jerk, and has no place on a live-fire range. His actions and behavior was totally uncalled for.

I sent a complaint to the Deputy Director of Wildlife, Kenton Taylor, and let him know my surprise and concern that they allow such a jerk to be in charge of and treating PAYING customers the way he did at that range.
    Now just why in the hell do I have to press "1" for English???

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Snowwolfe:
    You shoulda said, $175.00 .
    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I haven't been the the RC range in ages, but I heard that the Gestapo Guy retired. It sounds like either he didn't, or he trained his replacement.

As to the stewpit rules mentioned, I wonder if enough people complained they would change them. Probably, they are used to complaints, but there is always the legislature, and the Governor's Office.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Been searching the net for info on the RC range. It is apparently owned and operated by the state. I found a list of rules posted and no where does it say anything about magazine capacity limits. Granted, new rules could have been created that haven't been posted online yet. As it is a state range, if there are problems with the RO running the range, everyone should be making extra effort to report such problems to the state. Enough complaints and they'll have to address it. It is a taxpayer-funded facility after all.

A couple of the rules I found interesting (some text snipped for clarity)...

No target may bear the distinguishable likeness of any person or persons.
    It says "distinguishable likeness"... does a cardboard IPSC target look "distinguishable" to any person you've seen? You know a rectangular chunk of cardboard can be used as a "politically correct" humanoid target or you can slice the head boxes off the IPSC targets.

No holster draw shooting is permitted.
    So much for doing any police or self-defense practice.

Rapid or full automatic fire must be done in short bursts and in a safe manner with permission from range operator and if not objectionable to other shooters.
    So they do have a provision for full auto... but I guess that would be limited to 10 round magazines? LOL

No containers of blackpowder or a blackpowder substitute are allowed on shooting benches.
    'Cause we all know just how dangerous a container of pyrodex on a bench can be. LMAO

Sorry, but yall can keep RC. I wouldn't last 5 minutes on a recreational range where some schmuck RO has control of my shooting activities. And I do all of my handgun shooting from the holster, so this place has no room for my shooting style anyway.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Default Thats some funny truth!!

After my last post and some that cama after. I was waiting to get warned for negitive talk. I guess it's such a place that needs to be changed the small talk will go under the radar. I'm just glad it wasn't only me that noticed the " soup Nazi" running the range. Well if that dosn't get me a strike then I will know that real people to run this place. Plus who hasn't seen the seinfeld episode?????? Who wants in running thr RB range??? I will help when I'm off if thats what it takes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NO SEMI FIRE FOR YOU !!!!!!!!!!!!
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Default I lived in Anchortown for 3 months...

And in those 3 months I went to Rabbit Creek once and that was enough.

That's what I hated about living there in Anchortown it's not to gun friendly for being Alaska. Quite a few gunshops but no where worth a d*** to use them.

That's one thing about Fairbanks is we have a huge public range here. Sure there are idiot there every now and then...But usually a firm word makes them realize what they was doing was wrong and they self correct themselves.

I have seen the most amazing things at Cushman range (For a public range):

A. Bowling Ball Cannon (That sent 16lbs balls over the 400 yard burm with ease. AWESOME.
    B. Full auto's to include a old school gatlin gun
    C. Full auto handguns
    D. Silencers

Too bad for you guys there.....I'll send a 100 rounds through my dual drum on my AR for you guys here.
    Combat Vet by choice! Defender of this great nation and people (Which unfortunately also includes the stupid and the ignorant.)

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:_R_ZqAiK-e_U0M:<a href=http://hometeamsonline.com/photos/hockey/ARCTICLIONS/Ice_Puppies_Logo_Light_with_shading.jpg target=_blank rel=nofollow>http://hometeamsonline.com/photos/ho...th_shading.jpg</a>

Support Youth Hockey!
    http://www.hometeamsonline.com/teams...Y&s=hockey&t=c

Quote Originally Posted by motorboatn View Post
    After my last post and some that cama after. I was waiting to get warned for negitive talk. I guess it's such a place that needs to be changed the small talk will go under the radar. I'm just glad it wasn't only me that noticed the " soup Nazi" running the range. Well if that dosn't get me a strike then I will know that real people to run this place. Plus who hasn't seen the seinfeld episode?????? Who wants in running thr RB range??? I will help when I'm off if thats what it takes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NO SEMI FIRE FOR YOU !!!!!!!!!!!!

Be careful with the Nazi word, there's someone running around here trying to control free speech and get you banned...hehehe. I like Gestapo myself.
    I refuse to tiptoe through life, only to arrive safely at death.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

Thomas Jefferson

If you want to practive 300-400yd shots, where can you do it in the greater Anchorage area? How far out does Birchwood go?

birch wood gose at least 500yd on one of there ranges i think they might have 2 that are 400 yd +

Default It's interesting that lots of people are unhappy with the RC range.

I was goin down there, and pretty regularly, several years ago, mainly because I would not have been able to afford going to Birchwood, nor did I have the time.

Anyway; the Range guy would, at times, (when the spirit moved him I guess) actually take over the operation.

He would announce over the speakers, from his office, and call the cease fires, clear to fires, etc.

I can see where this could be a problem when someone is shooting a group, because he would have to stop firing and take it up again whenever, and in the meantime he would no doubt have changed his firing position.

When the shooters do it themselves, they are usually willing to wait for a guy to finish his string. This makes for a more enjoyable experience.

I realize that the "General Public" who may not be used to shooting, and shooting ranges, are likely to make some mistakes, as far as safety is concerned. Maybe, this is why they RC people feel the need to be hardnosed, but to treat people like they're all idiots, serves no purpose, other than to discourage and frustrate.

I'm sure that the SOA, has some liability with any State owned facility, and they want to cover their arses, but they should be able to manage things for the benefit of shooters, rather than just to convenience themselves.

Does the ADF&G run the RC Range? That might explain the antagonism.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Lightbulb WOW!!

Wow.

I didn't realize how restrictive RC was. (This is 100% because I've never had a chance to shoot anywhere else) I did notice, and was peeved at, the new 10 round magazine limit, and the guy running the range always struck me as kinda obsessive about this, that, and the other thing, not to mention more than a lil' rude.

From what you all are saying I take it that Birchwood allows holster draw firing and silhouette targets??

I'm going to have to head on down to Birchwood here soon, maybe even fork over the cash for a yearlong membership, as I really am wanting to put in some practice with the pistols this summer, and it's only about 5 more miles to go to Birchwood instead.

Thanks for the heads up guys, it's much appreciated, and nice to know not every range is that...restrictive

Jon

akhunter3:
    Here's some more info if you can use it. If it is incorrect, or out of date, someone will say so, and I'll SIT corrected.

On the days when the Birchwood Range is open to the public, and especially during the time of the year, when people come to sight in their rifles for the hunting season, you might encounter someone who wants to ignore the rules to some degree. IME that’s pretty unusual, but it can happen.

Also, sometimes various ranges are reserved for Police and other groups, and you will have to use one that is open.

EPM is expensive, but it allows you to use the range, both before, and after, the regular hours, and on days when it isn’t open to the public. You need to buy or build, your own target frame for those times.

Non-members are charged $10.00 a day. At $175.00 a year for the EPM, you will need to go 17.5 times to make that up. There aren’t any guest privileges, excepting your immediate family.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast