Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I got the levergun bug...

Default I got the levergun bug...

and after handling Marc Taylors SS GG I decided I have to have one. So.......who has the best price on a Marlin SS guide gun in Alaska?

Default Me Too

I've got the same bug. Must be going around just like the head cold I just got over. I'm going to look for a guide gun in 45/70 this week. First, I'll check out some used ones and if that doesn't work, I'll get a new one in blue. The stainless GG is nice, but nothing like a classic hand-worn blued and wood combo. Then I'll want the stainless one. I Just as well get a Marlin Marlin before they become Remington Marlins.

I'll keep you posted if I find any deals.........

Careful now........

When you start messing with levers, the course is lined with traps and swamps. No matter which way you turn, there's going to be another lever to tempt you.

While I have big and small, old and new, the ones that really turn my crank these days are the smaller calibers. A 22 is fine, but get your hands on a 25/20, 32/20, 218 Bee, 38/40, 44/40 or even a 357, and let the fun begin. They aren't the most powerful rounds in the world, but they're sure fun to shoot and hunt with.

Like I said, you better be on your best behavior in the presence of your first lever gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Coaldust View Post
    I've got the same bug. Must be going around just like the head cold I just got over. I'm going to look for a guide gun in 45/70 this week. First, I'll check out some used ones and if that doesn't work, I'll get a new one in blue. The stainless GG is nice, but nothing like a classic hand-worn blued and wood combo. Then I'll want the stainless one. I Just as well get a Marlin Marlin before they become Remington Marlins.

I'll keep you posted if I find any deals.........
    You keep that head cold to yourself now....
    Thanks and if I find some good deals i'll let you know.

I hear ya, my sons bought me the ss marlin 1895 .450 last year, I then turned around and bought the ss 1895 guide gun in 45/70, then the got me a Puma .480 this Christmas. I'm hooked!

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Careful now........

When you start messing with levers, the course is lined with traps and swamps. No matter which way you turn, there's going to be another lever to tempt you.

While I have big and small, old and new, the ones that really turn my crank these days are the smaller calibers. A 22 is fine, but get your hands on a 25/20, 32/20, 218 Bee, 38/40, 44/40 or even a 357, and let the fun begin. They aren't the most powerful rounds in the world, but they're sure fun to shoot and hunt with.

Like I said, you better be on your best behavior in the presence of your first lever gun.

Talking Down the Slipper Slope!

Let me add to your woes....

They aren't made anymore, but a few years back Marlin brought out their 1894 in 25-20. It's worth searching one of these out, and if you can't find that, at least a 32/20 version. Back "in the day" the 25/20 was regarded as quite the dish for small game and varmints. Once you shoot one, and especially start reloading for it, it's easy to understand why. 22 rimfire ammo is lots cheaper, but with reloading the 25/20 isn't so bad. Push the Speer 75 grain FP or the Remington 86 grain FP to about 1200-1250 (compared to the factory load of around 1800 for the 86), and it will cut seriously into your consumption of those cheap 22 shells.

That slow load is my main snowshoe hare round, and slow as it may be, it really whaps their heads. It's kinda nice too that the round works so well on any foxes you run into on bunny hunts. It whacks a fox much better than any 22 I've ever tried without the concerns for pelt damage using faster modern rounds.

And don't even get me started on cast bullets for the 25/20!

Check with Boondocks in Eagle River. I have bought quite a few guns there and they have always done me right.
    Now just why in the hell do I have to press "1" for English???

BTW, once you get that excellent Guide Gun (mine is a .45-70), you have to look at that Marlin Cowboy model in .45-70. Won't be able to resist it. I couldn't.

One more thing, the muzzle brake on the Guide Gun definitely tames it, but the blast of gas out the sides will make anyone standing beside you move very quickly to the rear when you touch it off.......
    Now just why in the hell do I have to press "1" for English???

Default 45-70

Walmart has the stainles Marlin 45-70 for around $530. I'm not too sure if that is a great deal, but another shop in town wants a little over $600 for the same one.

I've also been considering getting on. They sure are nice...

Mine would primarily be for bear protection, but it's nice to know you could hunt with it also.

Thumbs up

I have used 45/70 GG for moose for years. I haven't taken the 300 Win out in a loooooong time except for caribou.

I have have a strait 6x scope mounted on it....I love that gun for AK.

Even makes a good bear bait gun and a good protection gun.
    Combat Vet by choice! Defender of this great nation and people (Which unfortunately also includes the stupid and the ignorant.)

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:_R_ZqAiK-e_U0M:<a href=http://hometeamsonline.com/photos/hockey/ARCTICLIONS/Ice_Puppies_Logo_Light_with_shading.jpg target=_blank rel=nofollow>http://hometeamsonline.com/photos/ho...th_shading.jpg</a>

Support Youth Hockey!
    http://www.hometeamsonline.com/teams...Y&s=hockey&t=c

I want a GG in 500 S&W, what is taking so long?

Default The disease is chronic, though the symptoms are variable...

I was bit a few years back and started buying winchesters...and I haven't regretted it since. There are many cool commemorative editions from Winchester, Browning and Marlin that will always keep you looking for "just one more"--this is a fact!

While I haven't acquired any of the pea-shooter levers they are ALL fun to carry. There's just nothing like 'em. The only bolt actions I'll own are a couple of long-reachers for varmints and pronghorns...and those are very specific rifles.

Yup, the symptoms can be controlled, but only by purchasing another rifle. Even then you might find that disease rebounds and becomes even more virulent, requiring greater diligence to find the rifles that round out a particular collection...

GOOD LUCK!!!

IceKing02

Default Looky here!

If you're interested in the stainless version check this out:

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=89537795

Default feeling feverish too...

I just put together my Browning 81 BLR in .308 with and decided to top it off with a Zeiss Conquest 4x32 scope and the redfield see-thru mounts to peek at the iron sights once in awhile. I'm looking at putting a leather or nylon cheek-pad to hold some extra ammunition on the rifle-stock. Also I may consider having sling-swivels installed or make up something like a shotgun sling as I won't have to drill the wood. There I'm feeling almost well already!

I think reading this post just gave me the levergun bug. I've already got an 1895G and a Marlin .30-30. I'm thinking the next one would have to be an 1894 in .45LC to go with my Ruger Bisley in the same.
    NRA Life Member, Prior F-16 crew chief.

I've check 3 different sources here in town for the Marlin GG in SS and the cheapest i've found is at Wal-Mart for $589. The search continues.....

Default Check out the Jan. issue of Guns & Ammo

There is an amazing article about the Marlin and 45/70 penatration with hard cast broad face bullets like Buffalo Bore and Garret ammo...a real eye opener...

Do yourself a favor and try shooting a standard pistol grip stock as well as the guide gun straight stock. I really liked the guide gun package, but eventually bought a standard rifle to have the barrel shortened due to the added controlability/ confort of the standard grip. You can pick up an 1895 SS (standard sporter, not stainless steel) model cheap sometimes. Eventually had a cash fluctuation and sold both, but will be buying an XTR to shorten soon.

Default 500 lever

Quote Originally Posted by hntr View Post
    I want a GG in 500 S&W, what is taking so long?
    Look here

http://www.wildwestguns.com/EStore/M...G04/wwg04.html

Default 88

It would be kind of fun to have a Winchester M 88 in a 308 or something along that line. I wonder if these were made in a larger bore? Sounds like fun anyway you look at it!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast