Thread: The 2008 committment...

Default The 2008 committment...

It's the same old thing. If you've been speculating an Alaskan trip for this summer, now is the time to make up your mind.

Once you make it up, you must immediately reserve.

This is especially true if you plan on using frequent flyer miles for airfare. It's just as true if you plan to book acommodations at popular locations during high season.

The worms are out.
    The early birds will get them.
    Trust me on that one and best of luck.

I'm right in the thick of my plans and I'll secure my reservations in less than seven days.

Alaska beckons.
    Time to committ...

http://www.alaskanauthor.com

Default Things fill fast

Great reminder! I have already made my reservations for '08. Made them before Christmas and even then it wasn't easy finding a way to use frequent flyer tickets to get to Ketchikan. Same with Charters out of Craig. Quite a few of the lodges/charter outfits were booked or almost booked.

It is getting tougher to put things together each and every year. More demand for limited facilities, higher fuel costs, and tighter regulations (SE halibut). If it wasn't such an awesome experience, it would be hard to justify. If a person wants to go they need to do their home work, decide what, when, and where, and make reservations as soon as possible.

Anybody know of some good alternatives to the standard car rental companies for securing a minivan or full size SUV for the first 10 days of August?
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Default Bring it on...

Thanks for the reminder. This is such an awesome place to live. It doesnít need to be said but Iíll mention it anyways; I have the clarity and commitment needed for summertime in Alaska. Iím also willing, able and ready. No rentals or reservations needed. Nevertheless, I may need a new rifle, a new spool of line and a few widgets for the wheelers, but Iím ready to go.

Default Cheaper rentals...

They are tough to find.
    I scored my best deal at one of the smaller lots on Spenard (a few blocks toward town on the same side of the street as the Best Western Barret Inn)
    The dealer name is unremembered, but we did negotiate for a good deal.

If you are local, search him out.
    If not, I would run the Anchorage yellow pages and start phoning the smaller companies.

Don't forget the cooperate discount if you are using the big guys! It costs nothing to register as a business to secure greater savings. Anyone who is not doing this, should...

Default AA...

That's what I like about you; always looking out for the guys! I have your Kodiak fishing book and see there's lots of tips from you on saving $$$.
    What are your Alaska plans this year? Kodiak? Kenai?
    Jim

Default AK summer...

I'm on assignment.

My current plans call for outfitter experiences that run all from Seward, to the Kenai, to the Gulkana, and to Raspberry Island. I will be experiencing what they have to offer, and then contributing to thier websites.

As well, these experiences will be compiled in my third work, which is ongoing.

I will also offer the articles up to our webmaster, should he decide to collate them for your use.

Though it seems like I'm chasing fish, in actuality I'm chasing down information that should prove to be very useful for those in interest.

I retire from teaching this June. Thirty seven years is enough. My calendar then becomes wide open.

Oh yeah, I'm also riding the Inside Passage mid-September with my wife on a perk that will come as a reward to her due to her business achievements. I get the trip for free. That gives me an opportunity to hop to Kodiak for the pure fun of it to chase silvers before I reconnect and return home.

Yippie-Yo-Ki-Yay!
    Thanks for your compliment...