Thread: Overnight Halibut trips

Default Overnight Halibut trips

Hi guys, who would you recommend for an overnight halibut trip with? I'd like to get away from the operations that are just out for a ride and chickens; I want to find an outfit that truly loves to fish; we're not novices and I'm not into being pandered to (I think that's the word I want to use?!). We're just 3 guys who love to fish and don't require calm water or someone to bait up for us.
    Thanks,
    Jim
    PS----I'm all for day trips; just seems like we might have better success on a longer trip; yes I fish for meat.

try Cracker Jack or Salwater Safari out of Seward they both offer exclusive overnight trips. They can take you out to the sound at Jumping Salmon Lodge overnight. This also always you to taylor you trip to your needs and wants. Some of the biggest catches I've ever seen are from the overnight trips. I think they put a limit on numbers of people though, so I don't know if that has any bearing on your trip good luck.
    Boatless

go hang out at bars in homer
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Overnighter...

BigJim
    Try these guys alaskacoastalmarine.com good serive, good equipment, and fair price. Good luck, I am ready for some halibut fishin too!

zeke

Hi Jim!

Remember, in SE, all boats are limited to 6 anglers, so the cost of an overnight or extended trip will almost always be higher than in areas where they can run 12+ on a larger boat. When we're 6-packing our livelihood here in SE, it's harder to justify a huge boat when you can only put 6 on board to fish.

If you're really after lower-cost MEAT, Homer, Kenai, Soldotna, etc. would probably all be better choices than something here in SE with me.

Do be sure to let us know what you end up doing... and please POST PICTURES! ;-)

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by zekeski View Post
    BigJim
    Try these guys alaskacoastalmarine.com good serive, good equipment, and fair price. Good luck, I am ready for some halibut fishin too!

zeke

Second that one, great fleet and great guys. Tim the owner is a great guy and they have a lot of larger repeat groups as well as single customers. For me homer is a 12 hour drive but for an overnighter it would be worth it.

Default Also try...

Whittier Marine Charters in Whittier. Matt has been taking me out for 7 years without fail

Quote Originally Posted by zekeski View Post
    BigJim

zeke
    That looks like a very good suggestion. In fact, so good that I too may have do that one in 2009...being I already have a date set for Ketchikan this 2008. Besides, I've done good in the past in Homer and Deep Creek around the corner.

Dang, this site's going to get me in trouble with the wify....

Luckily she likes Halibut just as much as I do....

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer Hog View Post

Dang, this site's going to get me in trouble with the wify....

Luckily she likes Halibut just as much as I do....
    Just hide the link to this site in your folder called "work"...
    When all else fails...ask your old-man.

AKArcher

Default Very appreciated...

Thanks guys; I've heard great things about Crackerjack. I've never fished 'buts out of Homer before; if we want to get into some rockfish as well, does one location do better than the other (Homer/Seward); also, any big difference in scenery?
    Case, you brought up a good suggestion with pics; I'm pretty computer ignorant, so how can I post a bunch of pics on?? I've got some good ones from past seasons. I do have quite a few pics stored on my hard drive.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim View Post
    ...Case, you brought up a good suggestion with pics; I'm pretty computer ignorant, so how can I post a bunch of pics on?? I've got some good ones from past seasons. I do have quite a few pics stored on my hard drive.
    Jim
    Hi Jim-

When you're posting in the forum, there should be a blue banner below your posting box that says, "Additional Options"... the second option down is "Attach Files" and there's a button that says "Manage Attachments" - this brings up a window where you can upload a file (or several) from your computer...

It works almost the same way on my forums, since we're running the same software. Shoot me a PM if you need more help.

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Default Thanks Case

I'll give it a try; don't hold your breath though. When I say I'm computer ignorant, I mean it. The guy we typically fish with for 'buts out of Deep Creek tells me yearly, "even a blind squirrel gets a nut now and then", when I catch a halibut.
    Jim