Thread: XD or Glock??

Question XD or Glock??

I know I'm opening a can of worms here, but I'd rather not drop the cash on a XD and then find out I'd rather have another glock.

I'll be looking to pick up a 4" .40 sometime during the next month for range and carry use, and I've narrowed it down to XD or Glock...

So....my question is..which do you prefer?? Does one seem to shoot better than the other?? Ease of maintenance?? Which seems to 'point' more naturally??

Thanks guys, any input is VERY appreciated!!!

Jon

Default No Chance

The handguns you have choosen are both high quality and reliable. The best way to find out which is the best gun IS. Find a friend who has one and shoot it. Some ranges rent handguns, rent one and shoot a couple of boxes of ammo.
    Check out the difference in felt recoil, sight picture, ergonomics.
    How does it feel in YOUR hand, can you function all the controls (without changing your grip)?
    Will it fit where you want to carry it ?
    THEN choose the gun, YOU like.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Default XD or Glock?

What Brav01 says,

How does it feel in YOUR hand,...Will it fit where you want to carry it ?
    THEN choose the gun, YOU like.

is absolutely correct.

I will illuminate with my own thoughts;

Without revealing what my personal preference is (because it does not matter) my experience is that I did not appreciate the M-16 until I lived with one for a time. I got used to it and learned what it took to make it reliable. I learned to like it and respect its strengths while compensating for its weaknesses. A Smith & Wesson revolver did not reveal its strengths and weaknesses until I lived with one for long enough.

The tool (gun, car, software program, sailboat, whatever) with which you can do the best job is best for you, only you. Do what it takes to find the tool with which you can perform best. Other people's experiences can illuminate those factors for you OK, but only dimly.

In a perfect world, you would buy both, carry each for a couple of weeks, shoot them, clean them, try various holsters with them. Then decide which fits YOU best. This world is not perfect, though, so do the best you can to try out your choices.

Good luck.

(Lost Sheep) Larry

One caveat: If you carry two guns (simultaneously or at different times), having the same procedures for loading, clearing jams, etc means there will never be confusion in a stress situation or in a court situation if it ever comes to that.

I'll "third" the above opinions.... With two good quality guns it's all about what fits you well; I've used both brands, and I like either. The one issue I have with the XD is the finish... Springfield's XD finish is crap; it wears off and the metal will rust. If Springfield would fix this problem I would use their XD again. Until then I will stick with Glock....
    Hunting, camping & shooting goodies. http://www.laksupply.com

Quote Originally Posted by LAK Supply View Post
    Until then I will stick with Glock....
    My studies have proved that the Glock has the history of reliability and accuracies required for what it is designed for. My hands are approx. medium and I have no problems with shooting mine I believe at all. I marvel at how easy it is for me to hit my target at 25 yds. with my Glock 20-newly accquired.

I'd say Glock for sure.
    just my .02

regards,

Quote Originally Posted by grizz106 View Post
    My studies have proved that the Glock has the history of reliability and accuracies required for what it is designed for. My hands are approx. medium and I have no problems with shooting mine I believe at all. I marvel at how easy it is for me to hit my target at 25 yds. with my Glock 20-newly accquired.

I'd say Glock for sure.
    just my .02

regards,
    Try these loads for your new G20 - http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/cat...x.php?cPath=25
    Hunting, camping & shooting goodies. http://www.laksupply.com

LAK,

thanks for the post. I have followed Mike McNetts studies for the last 3 yrs. to some extent. His munitions is max'd out as full powerhouse loads go. I have contacted him on occasion to make certain I understood him clearly in my reloading venture. The studies I have followed was in the 10 ring and 10 mm reloading specifically.

I have as well picked up a KKM 6" hunting barrel for the G20 some 3 yrs. back and now await from LoneWolf the long slide that should be available in the near weeks for the 6"bbl. Clearly a fine firearm as autos go.

best regards,

Thumbs up Vote for the XD line

I've got a XD40 Subcompact (3" model) and like how it feels/points more like a 1911 style pistol. SA has improved the finish with a new process and the xdtalk folks seem to be generally satisfied with the new finish. Folks have done torture tests on the XD line - similar to Glock's and they perform well. SA offers lifetime warranty.

Go to a store and fondle both side by side. See which one feels better in your hand, points better for you, etc. Both are great guns, so either choice will be a good one.

Another line that is showing great promise and has similar ergonomics is the new S&W M&P line. A while back they had good deals on these, with $50 factory rebates and 2 free mags (but that offer may be over). These are getting pretty good reviews and are competitively priced.

If you're not set on the .40 caliber, take a glance at the XD45 Compact. 4" barrel, but offers two magazine options, a shorter one (10+1) for some concealability, or the hi-cap (13+1 I think) mag with a grip sleeve - which essentially creates a fullsize 4" 45 ACP that is not much different in overall dimensions as the 4" XD40.

Just my $0.02

Ive shot both. I have not shot a glock recently though.

Whenever I shoot the new plastic guns I never can feel much of anything with them. They all seem comfortable (at least manageable) and plain.

The XD shoots good, seems reliable, recoil is managable. Trigger is actually not that bad.

I wouldnt think you could go wrong with either one. The glock certainly has a better aftermarket parts selection to fine tune one though.

When I bought my xd 45acp service it put the g22 on the bottom shelve in the safe.

I shoot IDPA with it as well as daily carry, it has hit everything I pointed it at and has never FTF or FTE. I just put a springer precision trigger kit in and it make a world of difference.

Default I like XD and Glock both

I shoot an XD9 5" Tactical in competition and carry a Glock 26 everywhere I go. I like the XD for competition and target use, and I like the Glock for decent capacity (10+1) and SUPER compact size (I have small hands and I am considering looking for an extended mag because even my little finger hangs off the Glock). Both have been very accurate for me. The Glock compact and sub-compact models are certainly popular as personal defense tools. The XD is a bit heavy for regular carry, in my opinion.

I carry a Glock22. I even harvested a whitetail with it this winter. It feels good, points naturally and shoots where I'm looking.

I've got a son in law that swears by his XD. So once again its a matter of what you get used to as quality is top notch with both!

I did some extensive shooting of my XD. I fired about 200 rounds or so. It was all HSM reloads.

My only complaint was that the gun was really starting to pinch my skin between my thumb and trigger finger. Recoil also seemed pretty stout.

I had this problem with my compact 10mm GLock also.

Maybe my hand is just permanently molded to fit a 1911. I can shoot my 1911 10mm all day with no discomfort. Also more heft to a 1911 is a good recoil reducer.

No malfunctions of any kind. And HSM is about as rough of ammo as you can get. Its dinged, all kinds of different makes of brass, Its probably not even trimmed.

Accuracy was not super great with the HSM stuff. If I make up a couple of batches of loads that I know are uniform and top quality I report back accuracy findings.

The next polymer pistol I want to try out is the S&W M&P with the changeable grip inserts.

Default tough choice....

Both are great guns and I can't add much more to what has already been said. I've shot both, and liked both. The XD is a bit heavier and the barrel is higher above your hand than with the Glock. The latter issue could give the Glock the edge with follow up shots. Both handguns are quite accurate. Yeah, the finish on the XD sucks. At least it did... it seems they may have fixed that problem?

You asked about pointability. Well, that's all muscle memory. I used to hate Glocks for that very reason. I was used to my 1911 and I naturally pointed the Glock above the target. That problem really doesn't take much time to disappear. The thing is, if you buy Glock, stay with Glock instead of switching back and forth between firearm styles. If you like to switch back and forth, get something that has a more traditional (think 1911) grip angle.

I carry a Glock 22 and 27. I have the mag extender for the 27 which gives a resting place for my pinkie finger. My extra mag for the 27 is actually a Glock22 mag!

I'll second the comment about checking out the S&W M&P to further complicate your decision making. That thing fits my hand perfectly! It approximates a 1911 grip angle too. If I had the ability to choose what I carried every day, I'd give that a very close look. I think Smith may have got it right this time with their auto. Happy shopping!

Edit: Matt mentioned the XD pinching him. I didn't experience this, but I can say that if you put a lot of rounds through a Glock, your middle finger will develop a large callous on the knuckle from the trigger guard. After a couple days at the range, most folks are wearing tape around their middle fingers! Seriously, it's not really a factor unless you're shooting LOTS of ammo, but it's worth mentioning.