Thread: Bethel Hunts

Default Bethel Hunts

Has anyone hunted out of Bethel for caribou and bear lately? Looking to book a hunt in fall 08.

Default go with

Papa bear adventures. They have raised there prices a bit but they really do a good job. You will see alot of caribou.

Default 2nd that for papa bear

sometimes you see bear and sometimes you don't. plenty of caribou, but timing and weather and who knows what else dictates how many good shooters there will be. good hunting.

Default Bethel

I used Wade Renfro for my 10 day float hunt And it was great!I would use him again.Great Guy and he know's the area well..www.renfrosalaskanadventures.com Good luck!

+1 for papa bear
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Isn't caribou out of Bethel part of hte Mulchatna herd?

Default Papa Bear

Good people, great customer service and they will put you where the animals are. Remember, it is DIY not guided.

Default caribou

They are mulchatna herd bou'. I've heard good things about papa bear but Wade Renfro was my neighbor out there in 04' and is also very good, I think you'd do well with him. That aside, it seemed the number of nice shooters was waaay down when I was out there, plenty of bou' but the fall 04' season I don't think I saw or heard of 1 really good bull being taken. Course that was then...and I was just out there working so by no means saw a lot of the animals, just no trophy's from the ones I heard about or saw. Luck.

Default I have used both

Both do an excellent job. Wade gives you the opportunity to land on floats OR on wheels. I think that makes Wade a better option to get you where the animals are.

Default Bethel

I wouldn't go there planning on a trophy Bou,But chances of a nice bear are very good...We seen alot of nice bears but had to take the bear I got cuz he walked right into our camp..It was a hard 50ft shot! Im thinking about doing a float around the same area just for Bear. And the fishing is great!

Default Another Vote for Papa Bear

I would call Papa Bear and talk to Steve Powers at (907) 543-6427. I have gone with them for caribou and moose and they were completely honest and up front about everything they provided. Wade Renfro used to be one of their pilots.