Thread: Browning X-Bolt

Default Browning X-Bolt

Has anyone had a chance to see this new rifle? If so, what did you think? How does it compare to the A-Bolt?

Default Only photos in the catalog and online...

and the thing is FUGLY! You'd think that with people staying away in droves over the "Long Track" and "Short Track" semi autos, FN would rethink their styling just a bit.
    Having said that, the things will probably shoot ragged one-hole groups blindfolded, give several hundred feet per second more velocity than anything else in the same chambering, have reverse recoil, and appreciate in value 300% per year........I never get these things right. Guess that I'll just have to stick to those old FN and Husqvarna 98's........

Default X-bolt

I've just had the opportunity to test fire a new Browning X-Bolt and came away extremely impressed with its accuracy and crisp trigger.... broke at around 3 pounds. Using cheap factory ammo (stuff I'd never be seen leaving the store with!), I was able to shoot a five shot group measuring .725".

I'm actually quite a traditionalist, and so the looks of the rifle first set me back a step or two; but once handled and shot... I liked it. The gun feels slim and trim in your hands and comes to the shoulder quickly.

In short, the rifle itself kinda reminds me of a Tikka or Sako and certainly shot as well. I'd buy one and probably will.

I am not impressed and the jury is still out and I would really like to see some targets posted from some of you who own one. I am not impressed with the only one I saw. Could have been the shooter so let's see some targets.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

40 years ago the Browing "brand" was magic to me. The A5 and Superposed shotguns were the finest pointing guns I ever put to my shoulder. And they were just out of my price range. Fortunately, I had some buddies that let me shoot theirs. Alas, I was was only able to afford 870's and 1100's that, once I practiced enough shot just as good as the more expensive Brownings. One buddy had a .243 Browning rifle and it was almost too pretty to shoot. To me, Brownings were the epitome of the high end production guns. I just don't get that feeling about Browning products now. The Gold and Citori shotguns don't seem to have the same fit. The X-Bolt is just another product that seems more marketing hype than substance. I wish FN would just slap their own name on their products and stop pretending to be something they aren't. I had to read a lot of positive posts before I bought a Savage. I had a good experience. I considered the A-Bolt in .338 WM LH but couldn't find enough positive posts about them compared to Savage, so I bought a Savage even though I could have afforded the A-Bolt. Just my $.02 and change. I'm with Beartooth. Wait and see.

WOW I handled both the savage and the A-bolt. I bought the A-bolt and several of my friends are now in the market for one after shooting mine. I havn't had a chance to handle the x-bolt so the jury is out on that one for me. As far as an a-bolt vs savage I can only guess that there has been no comparisons between the two because there is simply no comparison I like sloppy savages as much as the next guy but the a-bolt IMHO is in a totally different league!

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    WOW I handled both the savage and the A-bolt. I bought the A-bolt and several of my friends are now in the market for one after shooting mine. I havn't had a chance to handle the x-bolt so the jury is out on that one for me. As far as an a-bolt vs savage I can only guess that there has been no comparisons between the two because there is simply no comparison I like sloppy savages as much as the next guy but the a-bolt IMHO is in a totally different league!
    I own a stainless A-Bolt in 300WSM with my name engraved on the bolt and I thought that was a fine touch except now I can't sell it and wish I could. My A-Bolt can not and will not shoot with my Savage 116FSS 7mmSTW. The design of the A-bolt and receiver is weak and was the first to fail in a test to see which rifle out of the Browning, Remington, Howa and some other major manufactures would hold together when they tried to blow up the receiver. The A-bolt went first. You can find the test link on Weatherby Nations. I am not an A-bolt fan nor an FN fan and and I hope they do a better job on the Mod 70 since they are the ones bring it back. The A-bolt is surely not the smoothest action I ever worked. I could not wait to get an A-bolt after listening to a few guys I knew and now I wonder what it was they saw. I let my son-in-law use it until he can afford to buy himself a rifle and he wants a Mark V in 300Wby after shooting mine but will more than likely buy a Savage since he has a young family to support.

In fact none of my custom rifles over the years has ever out shot my out of the box Savage 116Fss 7mmSTW

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Interesting thread...I always thought Bowning's were high quality production rifles. Never had one, and don't actually know mnay that do own own except one guy who seems to like them. Also find it interesting that I don't hear much about them like Rem's, Win's, Ruger's. Tikka's Sako's, etc.

It'll be interesting to see the reviews on the X-Bolt.

I have had an A-Bolt for a number of years in .338 WM. I had to cut 4" off the barrel to make it usable in any kind of brush. After that it's groups even tightened up. It is now a good handling rifle that is fairly accurate and has accounted for a bit of game. That said, it is not the Browning of old. I grew up with Browning on a pedestal but have not really found them deserving for a good number or years.

Default Browning

I bought a Browning A-bolt about 3 months ago in 300 WSM. I loaded up a batch of Barnes 180 gr MRX's and test fired them not too long ago. I was amazed that I got a 5 shot 1 inch group at 100 yrds with my first set of reloads. I am very pleased with my A-bolt. No complaints here. But I will have to say that the most accurate, out of the box, rifle I ever owned was a Savage 300 win mag. Remingtons are decent also for out of box accuracy. Winchesters IMO are/were neck and neck with remington and none of the kimbers that I have owned have shot good enoughe to brag about. Rugers are hit and miss but usualy shoot decent more often than not. These are just some of the experiences that I have had.

It's all about personal preferences and hands-on experiences, which vary across each of us. I think it is an error to summarily dismiss a particular brand because one prefers another or had a bad experience with that brand. I've had bad experiences with Kimber and T/C, but I'm trying hard not to summarily dismiss them because they can and have turned out fine products for others.

I have had excellent experiences with the A-Bolts that I own. I don't regret buying them, and I won't sell them. I prefer them. They are my go to rifles every hunting season, and they get used quite a bit each year without ever failing me in the field. They all shot extremely well out of the box. I did customize a couple of them...not because I felt that they needed it, but because I could afford to do it and I wanted to. I own other brand name bolt action rifles as well, but the Browning A-Bolts are my favorites...my preference. They are not perfect, nor are any of the other rifles that I own. However, it has been my experience that the Brownings that I own are superior out of the box, feel better in my hands, and well worth the extra money I paid compared to other production rifles.

It's great we have choices and preferences...I even prefer certain beers over the others.

Browning Bolt rifles are superb quality and have an extremely low service rate

im sorry but you cannot compare a 7mm and a 300 it just doesnt work they are two totaly different guns. and why would it matter if it blew up first... its not like somone is strappin dinomite to their guns and lighting it.

[QUOTE=Darreld Walton;192356]and the thing is FUGLY! You'd think that with people staying away in droves over the "Long Track" and "Short Track" semi autos, FN would rethink their styling just a bit.
    Having said that, the things will probably shoot ragged one-hole groups blindfolded, give several hundred feet per second more velocity than anything else in the same chambering, have reverse recoil, and appreciate in value 300% per year........I never get these things right. Guess that I'll just have to stick to those old FN and Husqvarna 98's........[i dont know what you are talking about that is a beautiful gun]

I bought one a few weeks ago in 308, SS Stalker. I was looking for a
    1. 308 ck
    2. SS / Poly stock ck
    3. Good trigger ck mine breaks nicely at 3.2lbs factory
    4. 7 lb or less - these are 6.5lbs ck
    I had looked at several brands and pretty much made my mind up on a win 70 Extreme Weather. Now, I waited a few weeks and the child in me got impatient as my suppliers ( I am a dealer ) seemed to not have any in stock. I also looked at many other brands - I did handle an XBolt in a store and it felt good right from the start and being an old shotgunner I liked the tang safety over the win 70 safety even though the winny is better simply from a build point of view. I also really liked the drop box magazine - it is poly but sure feels and works well. If I rememebr correctly it also grabs the shoulder of the rounds differently which may/should help reduce/eliminate tip deformation from recoil..?
    I wanted a 30mm scope and this gun has a unique mounting system as they partned with Tally and have a one piece ring/base combo that has 4 holes drilled into it instead of the typical two - seems an improvement and the one piece system allows for a bit lower scope mount then a std two piece system...
    So, in a nutshell I like what I have so far - have not fired any rounds due to health issues and hopefully will get that done down the road - also gotta get that scope ( Leupy 2x7x33 R ). I will say I cleaned it good and the magazine will allow you to really run a bullet OAL to the max - so I should have no problem finding a "sweet spot" for a reload once I get to that time.
    Guns are a lot like Prom dates - there are several "beauties' out there, they all have the ability to make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside when you can handle them, and they all can give you fits no matter how good they look! I am sure for a hunting gun they will work well and hopefully I can give you chaps an update on how it shoots later....
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....