Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bowtech or Mathews?

Default Bowtech or Mathews?

I am looking to buy a new bow but just cant decide on what make... just looking for opinions on what you like best?

Whatever feels best to you. Seriously, that's about the best advice I've gotten through asking the same questions. Both are quality bows, but some prefer one over the other based on personal "feel".

I also wouldn't count out Kodiak bows. The owner of The Archer's Den in Eagle River speaks very highly of them, and it is on the top of my list for my upcoming bow purchase.

Go shoot a lot of bows at a few different shops. Buy that which feels best.

Bow tech you can get pretty cheap compared to Mathews. Go shoot a couple of bows then this will help you in making a choice. I have 3 Mathews bows but if I saw another bow that fit me good I would shoot it.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

You may want to look in to Hoyt as well

i have shot MATHEWS FOR YEARS AND WAS GOING TO GET A DRENALIN BUT WENT AND SHOT THE BOWTECH GENERAL. oops, ended up taking the general home. so i would go shot the general or other bowtech models. the Bowtech Airborne series is getting great reveiws also. if in anchorage / eagle river area i would go by Archers' Den in Eagle River , they are a sponser on this site and they have taken good care of me.
    bottom line is take a day and travel to various a shops and test fire some of the bows. Parker and Kodiak are also very nice bows.
    huntingnet.com had a good write up on a few Bowtech bows.

good luck always exciting to get a new toy.
    not so sure about Gary's comment about saving money by getting bowtech.....i sure did not save any. general and drenalin were about same price.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

I used to shoot a Mathews for about 5 years and really thought about buying another one. I shot bowtech's guardian last year and bought it that day. Both are great companies but you can get your bowtech for cheaper. You pay a lot extra just to have the name Mathews on your limbs. Bowtech is on the cutting edge of technology and I've never heard someone say a bad thing about their bows.

My Dad always said, if your going to go down, go down big and buy the best...MATHEWS, MATHEWS, MATHEWS!!!!...........you won't be happy unless you own one, used to own a Hoyt, but wasn't happy until I owned and held a Mathews..............CK

Just like owning a Chevy...your really not happy until you buy a GMC!

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    Just like owning a Chevy...your really not happy until you buy a GMC!
    Except they're made by the same company and are pretty much the same rig...

both are quality bows with good warranties.shoot them both and pick the one that feels the best.and if youre concerned with speed ,chronograph them instead of trusting the manufacturers specs.hope you have fun shooting your new bow.good luck

Default chevy vs GMC

True, AK, but most GM owners I've known prefer the GMC over Chevy...I got that bug too, don't know why...I just like GMC better, for some reason they are a little bit more too. ( I guess it that proffesional grade thing) ...but, I'd drive either one, than Dodge.....hehehe

Thumbs up I own bowtech

Do what brian said, go and try them out, see which one works best for you. The guy at archers den is very honest, and will steer you in the right direction, he carries the bowtech line. Fletchers in Wasilla is a good place to go too, he sells mathews. I would stay away from sportsmans warehouse. It is true you will spend less money buying a bowtech, and personally I think they are equal bows. My bowtech is a 2001 model and shoots flawlessly, with 320+ fps. I do try to stay in practice though, thats a big part of it!
    have fun, you can't go wrong with either one!

I saw some deals in sportsman a 2 weeks ago in fairbanks. i paid $570 for a tomkat bow tech last year. Now i'ts for $399 I shoulda waited i gues its because newer bows are coming. I still love the bow tho shoots awsome

Default bowtech guardian

There is a bowtech guardian on craigslist. It is setup fully and looks like a pretty good deal.

Smile 6 of one..............

I own ( I mean the bank is letting me drive) a GMC and I am not fond of the truck, I also own a Mathews Outback. I do not even want to shoot anything else. Find what you like to shoot (makes you feel good) and enjoy.

Joe

Hoyt!!!lol, j/k. My advice is shoot as many different bows as you can and get the one that feels the best no matter what the brand.

I've been shooting a Matthews for the last 6 years, I've taken 6 Whitetails bucks in the last 6 years, got an itch for a new bow last fall. Shot the Switch Back XT, Adrenelin and the Bow Tech Guardian. Never shot a smoother bow than the Guardian, now I own one. Its what ever makes YOU happy, shoot them all and then make your decision

Default Bow Choice

Bowtech? Do they make bows? MATHEWS!!! Seriously though, everyone is different and you can't buy a high end bow until you've shot all of them. I am a dedicated Mathews guy as you can see, but I really like the net Ross bows.

Default Archerytalk

Check out archery talk on the web. They have a very active classifieds section. Sometimes you can get screaming deals on last years models. Lots of quality used stuff on the market too. Seems like a lot of guys there have to get the new model every year. I bought a used Bowtech from there and was happy with the transaction. A lot like ebay, if someone does you wrong they get hammered, so I'd say the majority of the folks there are very legit.

Default Both....

I currently own both. Bowtech Allegiance and Mathews Switchback XT. Both are excellent bows but I prefer the Mathews, maybe because I've been shooting one for 10 years now. The have different feels to them such as the draw cycles and the valley and wall. As mentioned before you'll really need to shoot them both to see which feels better to you. You really can't go wrong with either one.

Talking Bowtech or Mathews.

I've shot Mathews for 8 years, owned the Ultralight, Conquest Pro, and the SQ2. All killed critters. Then I tried the Bowtech Allegiance back in 05', and recently purchased the 08' General. As everyone has said each to their own, but as your feel for bows change in time along with hunting experience/type, will dedicate which is right for you. For me, the General is by far the best shooting bow I've owned to date. Absolutely no hand shock, 8 1/4" brace height making it easy on form mistakes, super quite and pretty fast when set-up by Crackers. Now shooting Maximas 350's 415g @ 290fps 29"@70#. That is plenty fast enough with enough KE to take care of anything I want to hunt with. Plus the grip IMO is much nicer than any previuos bow I've owned. No doubt I'll have this one arround for along time.
    Kodial 08' or bust
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast