Thread: Haines fishing

Morro Bay,Calif

Default Haines fishing

Does anyone have any info about kayak fishing out of Haines for halibut or rockfish? I'm planning on stopping by there on my way to Soldotna in summer of '08. Thanks, Tom

Bandon, OR

Haines and Skagway aren't exactly my favorite bottom-fishing destinations... both towns are so far up Lynn Canal that they don't get many big fish... I've been told it's too silty, but I'm not sure about that explanation... they're just as far away as you can get from the open ocean. I have seen a few ping-pong paddles and small chicken brought in to Haines, so I know the locals have found a few workable spots.

(I would, however, suggest Haines for some great sockeye fishing... during the right season.)

M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR

Eagle River/ Juneau

last time I was in haines I saw a couple cleaning a 200+ pound butt they caught on a subsistence skate, I beleive thats for from the norm though
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Haines fishing

I would have to agree with the previous posts. It can be tough to dig up a halibut in Haines at certain times of the year. August until early September would be the only time I would bother trying around Haines for halibut.