Thread: Overnight out of Homer?

Default Overnight out of Homer?

Have cruised and overnighted out of Seward and Whittier many times. Have never stayed overnight out of Homer. Are there suitable anchorages to overnight out around Elizabeth and Perl Islands? I have found many good anchorages by using the "Cruising Guide to Prince William Sound" and "Exploring Alaska's Kenai Fjords" but haven't found any detailed cruising guide to Kachemak Bay and out around Pogibshi to Port Dick. Any information about anchorage in those areas would be appreciated.
    P.S. Need to stay out to save on fuel from running out and back. Whew!!!

I hear you on saving fuel. I just go out and do an overnighter. Leave in the evening and stay out tell we get our limit for both days. Seldovia is a place where you can go.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Just thought I'd try again. Does anybody know if there is safe anchorage in either Port Graham, Koyoktolik Bay, Port Chatham, or Chugach Bay. The overnight trip sounds like fun with the boys but my wife likes the quiet down times between fishing. Any info would be appreciated.

Default overnight

we always have good luck up seldovia bay very calm up there.
    Tuka is another of our favorites but you have to play the tides to get in and out of the lagoon.

Default Good anchorage.

To answer your question, yes there are some good anchorages to be had down the coast.

Are there suitable anchorages to overnight out around Elizabeth and Perl Islands?
    No, there are not any good overnight anchorages around the islands but there is in Port Chatham and Chrome Bay. A Coast Guard mooring bouy is in Port Chatham and can be used.

Does anybody know if there is safe anchorage in either Port Graham, Koyoktolik Bay, Port Chatham, or Chugach Bay.
    Port Graham has good anchorage up at the head of the bay and the villagers don't mind a visitor. They would like to get a tourism market going. Koyoktolik bay (dog fish bay by locals) does not provide the best of protected anchorages. Chugach bay does not provide a very protected anchorage either unless the wind is dead calm or coming out of the West. The next best anchorage is Picnic harbor and you can sit through the worst in there. Windy bay has a decent anchorage as long as the wind is Westerly. Beware of the funnel affect however coming through Port Chatham. The same for Easterlies coming through windy bay and funneling through to Port Chatham.

The tide rips from Pt. Pogibshi all the way past Rocky bay are something to be watched closely. I would recommend your trips on the smallest of tides to keep the rips to a minimum. On larger tides the rips will form in a matter of minutes.

Hope this helps.

This is great information, Thank You. I did experience the tide rips last year out around flat island. Actually could see it coming from about a half mile away. In my 24' Bayliner I scrambled back around the corner. Thanks again for the information. Now I can go out and do some educated exploring.

Default See Coast Pilot 9

For information in anchorages out of Homer (or anywhere else in Alaska) you could check out Coast Pilot 9. Just go to this site: http://nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/nsd/coastpilot9.htm

You'll only need to download the general section of AK you're looking for since you probably don't need the western Aleutians or Chukchi Sea. You won't find the personalized details and sketches like you would in Lethcoe's Cruising Guide to PWS, but it will provide a lot of help. Remember that this book is used on large ships and they will sometimes call a place an anchorage but you'd have to anchor in 25 fathoms which is not always ideal for a recreational boat.

It will also be helpful to download "Chart No. 1" on the same page under the Nautical Charts and Related Publications tab since it gives all the codes you find on charts. If you couple the Coast Pilot 9 (free) with the NOAA online chart viewer (free) you can check out a lot of areas on your computer in the off season. The chart viewer is here: http://ocsdata.ncd.noaa.gov/OnLineVi...iewerTable.htm

Hope this helps. At least it's something tangible for your tax dollars. It should be enough reading to keep you busy for hours.

Chris

I put the Coast Pilot 9 and the Chart viewer on my favorites. Have already spent a couple hours exploring the charts. You guys are the best. My boat is a 2452 Bayliner named JJR. Will spend most of July and August out of Whittier, Seward and Homer. Just can't pick a fovorite, and being mobil I just have to try them all. If you notice my boat please introduce yourself so I can thank you personally.