Thread: Fishing north of Sitka

Default Fishing north of Sitka

I was planning a trip to Sitka, departing Skagway with stops at Tenakee springs,Baranof springs then back tracking a little bit to Peril straights on to Sitka. Plan to spend a few days there and head north towards Klag bay. From there on to White sulphur springs and Elfin cove then back to Skagway. I have fished around Elfin but I'm looking for info both fishing and sightseeing info from Sitka to Lisianski straight.
    Any info is appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Salt Chukar View Post
    I was planning a trip to Sitka, departing Skagway with stops at Tenakee springs,Baranof springs then back tracking a little bit to Peril straights on to Sitka. Plan to spend a few days there and head north towards Klag bay. From there on to White sulphur springs and Elfin cove then back to Skagway. I have fished around Elfin but I'm looking for info both fishing and sightseeing info from Sitka to Lisianski straight.
    Any info is appreciated.
    I run trips out that way all the time...
    What time of year are you coming?
    Guided or on your own?
    Size/style of boat?
    Specific variety of fish you're targeting?

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Default North of Sitka

I was planning to go the last ten days in June. I have my own boat a 26 welded aluminum, we were planning to target springs and halibut. I was interested about info around klag bay, the old mine site, the power plant,and info on where to anchor for White sulphur springs (mirror harbor). Going into lake anna and sister lake.I have seen you and your boat at Elfin a few times my boat is very similar but only 26. I have a D4 260 and hold about 120 gallons of fuel. I was meaning to come over and have a look at your boat when you were at Elfin but it looked like you were busy cooking supper for your guests.
    Any info you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Salt Chukar View Post
    I was planning to go the last ten days in June. I have my own boat a 26 welded aluminum, we were planning to target springs and halibut. I was interested about info around klag bay, the old mine site, the power plant,and info on where to anchor for White sulphur springs (mirror harbor). Going into lake anna and sister lake.I have seen you and your boat at Elfin a few times my boat is very similar but only 26. I have a D4 260 and hold about 120 gallons of fuel. I was meaning to come over and have a look at your boat when you were at Elfin but it looked like you were busy cooking supper for your guests.
    Any info you can offer would be greatly appreciated.
    I may not be much help... The last time I was at White Sulphur, we took a skiff from Pelican, and the last time I spent the night on the outside of Yakobi I was driving an 88 footer... I tend to keep my smaller boat on the inside, although we do day-runs to Deer Harbor all the time.

You saw me cooking in Elfin Cove? Wow... that's a rare sighting indeed! I almost always buy myself out of cooking duty by picking up the first round at Coho's!

Please don't EVER hesitate to step up to the Can Can and say hi... I've always got time to chat and share with fellow sportsmen (but no sports-women... my wife gets jealous!) ;-)

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Default North of Sitka

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I will definately come over and introduce myself the next time I see the Can Can,probably in Elfin. The fishing around deer harbor is great I was hoping to find some places like that on my way up from Sitka. Salisbury Sound looks like a good place to try. How is the crabbing on the outside? I never had much luck for them around Elfin.

Default The Crabbing Sucks

Hi SC,
    Unless things have changed dramatically - the crabbing has been pretty sparse on the outside from Salisbury to Yakobi Island. The sea otter populations have pretty much cleaned up the available dungies, abalone, rock oysters, and etc. You may have some luck in Peril Str., but I understand the sea otter move in and out of there as far as Deadman Reach.

On your way north I would certainly try strip mooching along the length of Fortuna Channel behind Klokachef Is.north side of Salisbury, also Khaz Breakers and the breakers just to the south of Rough and Smooth Channels. You can have a lot of fun and will keep yourself busy working the ever-present schools of feed.

Sounds like a fun "jaunt" - best of luck!