Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Backpack Hunters What do you Use for a Pack?

Default Backpack Hunters What do you Use for a Pack?

I thought it would be interesting to see the different packs that guys use for backpack hunts (Bou,Sheep,Goats). Would kinda like to leave the quarter packing packs out of the discussion, but more of the packs that carry your gear and your meat across several miles of mountains over several days. It seems as though there are a lot of good packs out there and many transitions have been made in the pack industry when the big change from externals to internals happened. Some are real light and some are real havey. So the question is what do you use, and what do you like and dislike about it?

I have used a couple different Dana Design Externals, Terraframe and Longbed and now use a Dana Design Terraplane (internal).

It's a Barney's pack for me. I haven't tried everything out there, but I have never been disappointed in my Barney's packs (this is my 2nd). When 100% of the feedback that I've read is good, particularly from guides and other hunters who are hard on their gear, I could never see a reason to try anything else. They just work. (And I like supporting the local guy, who I might add stands behind his product and is very helpful.)

i'll go...barney's pinnicle aka the caddy pack this is what it ends up doing with clients packs sometimes. this is a goat hunt and the third year on this barney bag, dumped the gun boot and top bar, added a hook for my rifle.
    It'll be a long time before i "try" another pack on a hunt that my body depends on me getting from point A to point B, this pack is unreal and the weight it can carry will blow your mind!

Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

HA! That is a fantastic picture, Jake!

On a side note, what do you mean you added a "hook" for your rifle? I thought of dumping the gun boot, but when I've got a full pack I'd rather keep my hands free from carrying the gun. I'm up for other options, though.

I appologize to anyone who picks up the Alaska Range Sheep Hunter pack at Mountain View sports for the copius amounts of DROOL I may have inadvertantly left on it...$410

I will add the freighter bag $80

and the removable rifle holster and spotting scope mount available @ http://www.akrange.com/Images/Freighter_sm.jpg
    Dang I gotta go bug the boss for some OT!

Default One more..

Barneys pack. All types of hunting. Sheep hunting to packing moose quarters. He definitely stands behind his products, too. Haven't found anything comparable.

What do those Barneys packs weigh?

Default Barneys

I got my first Barneys 20 or more yrs ago when a fellow named Monty was putting them together. I still use it on the peninsula for bears and I have a newer pinnacle for backpack hunting in the mountains. The old one has seen about 6 freighters and most of the pockets are gone but it will still hold a pretty good sized brown bear.
    I tend to use more than enough gun

I've used barney's packs for 20 plus years,but i'm making the move to the enternal frame made by mystery ranch,called the kodiak.i also have the long hunter guide model,which is also a enternal....there all good....

Question

Here in the east i"ll use an Agway feed sack, with some 550 cord, similar to what Santa uses! Have to confess that I do have trouble, fittin in them wild sheep. Does anyone know where to get a sack big enough for a good sized bou?? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vUi94QNZSw
    ; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed. 1 SAMUEL 2;30

another happy barneys frame pack guy. I have an older bag and another older frame. Took the bag off the old frame and put it on the newer frame. Good stuff!

Default Barneys

Barneys pack all the way!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thumbs up

Barney's Kevlar pinnacle pack, been all over hill and dale, still going strong.

Default Barneys

Barneys Pinnacle. Weighs 8lb 4oz without the useless top bar.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

Im another Barney Packer. They are great packs. Ive always used the cheapest packs, or hand me downs or borrowed. Thankfully a few years ago my Dad got me a barneys pack. It makes a world of difference now. Especially now that im getting older and my body needs some comfort.

It will hold more weight than I want to carry.

Impressive picture Brwnbr!

Barney's ever since my first Yukon Pack in '86....tried lots of others but have always come back....for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by shphtr View Post
    Barney's ever since my first Yukon Pack in '86....tried lots of others but have always come back....for a reason.
    Man, that picture captures so much of what I love about sheep hunting. Thanks, shphtr!

Default What's special about Barney's?

I've been into their store once, but it was to get a rain cover for my backpack. I didn't look at their packs. Sure seems like a lot of folks who do some serious hunting really like the Barney's, but why? What is it about their packs that outshine others? I believe everyone's convinced. I'd just like to know why.

Clue me in please.

I guess I'm different; I use an Eberlestock J105. I had a Barney's and was satisfied with it, but felt an internal pack hugged closer to my body which made it feel more stable when climbing. I like that the Spike Camp Duffle zips to the outside of the pack and I can dump it off when I reach the camp site. I don't often spend nights up on the mountain so leaving the Spike Camp with extra clothes, food, and camp gear works well for me. I also like that when it's empty I can zip the sides together to give it a smaller profile; a smaller profile for me means less getting caught on the alder branches. The J105 weighs less than my Barney's pack and frame did so that was a plus as well. I've hauled caribou quarters with it and it was fine, but haven't had a chance to test it on moose yet. I like that the gun boot doesn't extend very high because on my Barney's the gun would often catch on low hanging branches. The draw back to the low gun boot is that I can't sit down with the pack on.

Packs are like guns and boots; you have to find the one that works best for you and the same one doesn't work well for everybody.

Default Cabelas backpack

I have used the Cabelas guide pack for four seasons without issues.
    Mike

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast