Thread: 338-06 vs 338 Scovill

Default 338-06 vs 338 Scovill

I need a little advice!

I have a minty bruno 98 action that I have been saving for a while. Since it is one of the nicer bruno's I've had I wanted to save it for a project that would be a keeper.

The hype that the 338 Federal is getting has helped me decide. Since it is a well known fact that anything the 308 can do the 06 can do a little better. Then the same has to ring true concerning the 338 Federal and the 338-06. I have also been giving strong concideration to the 338 Scovill. The big drawback with the Scovill has to do with the feed rails. Will they have to be altered? I once did a simple rechamber job going from 30-06 to the Ackley version of the 06. That gun simply would not feed right and my over zealous refining of the rails rendered it a junker or single shot at best.

Also what are your opinions concerning doing this gun in a 20 inch barrel? Since I plan to shoot only heavy for caliber bullets (220 and up) should I quicken the twist to say 1 in 8?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

well the only Scovill I was interested at one time was the .375 but Ruger now has it beat plus brass for the new Ruger would be handier. For your options I do not know anything of the .338 Scovill but own 2 .338-06 A Sq., one is a CRF Winchester and the other is a Remington Model 30. Both are easy to reload for whether it is Weatherby brass or .30-06 brass with a neck bushing(Redding).

Rails do not need any tweaking either.

But being different is something I can relate to. Let us know on what is up.

regards,

The 338-06 works through any action the 30-06 does without any changes to feed rails, etc. I'm not too familiar with the 338 Scovill but I do think it is a modified case and for that reason I would shy away from it in a Mauser M98. Also I don't think there is measurable differences in the performance of the two.

The 338-06 is well supported with brass with no modification needed for the '06 case except neck and bullets are every where. In a 20" it will lose a little but will loose less than the 30-06 in the same length. I would prefer closer to the 23". Either way I would stay with the 10" twist, there's no need for faster.

I have owned a 338-06 in various guns for over 25 years and own two of them now one AI on a Sako A-V action and one in a model M97 Dakota, standard 338-06.

Let me sum up my views on this great caliber. It is the only improvement ever made on the 30-06 case. It is a primary hunting gun for anything on this continent as well as many others. Bullet weights from 200-225 are easily loaded and the 250's can be used. There is factory ammo for it in Weatherby (Norma) with the 210 partition bullet. This bullets seems to be made for the 338-06. It will match the velocity of 180 grain bullets in the 30-06 (2750-2800 fps) and hit with a visable advantage over the 30-06.

Recoil in a good rifle is comparable to the '06 in the same weight rifle. It is a dream come true for all those elements we compromise with in a hunting rifle. Adequate ballistics, tolerable recoil, accuracy, portability and effectiveness in the game fields. I'll never be without one.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Thumbs up .338-06

I built a .338-06 for my adult son (with the help of my gunsmith) from a new CZ 550 that was originally chambered in .30-06. We rebarreled it with a 10 twist Lilja, which we cut at 24"...and that was it. It is a very comfortable shooting rifle, and it is VERY accurate. We've only worked up loads for 210's so far...haven't developed loads for 225's or 250's yet, but we will...and I'm confident the 10 twist is going to be fine.

I would build a .338-06 for myself, but I'm partial to my .375H&H.

I am also a fan of the standard .338/06. I plan to hunt on PWS in May with mine, which is a custom rifle on a Remington 700 action. I am getting 1 MOA and 2587 fps with the 225 Barnes TSX bullet and IMR 4350 powder. FWIW, I have a 23.5" barrel.

I agree with Murphy and others about the .338-06. For .30-06 shooters and hunters, the .338-06 gives them a perfect power/recoil ratio, there is head-stamped brass for it, plus plenty of .30-06 brass reloades can use. The .338 Federal, is perfect in the same way, but to .308 shooters and hunters.

I have been thinking of building a .338-06 for my oldest son for a few years now. I just haven't had the time to get started. It should be a perfect cartridge for moose hunting in the interior. Although it won't push a heavy bullet as fast as a .338WM would, any relatively soft 250-grain bullet pushed out the barrel around 2400-2450 fps would provide quite a lot of penetration at closer ranges.

Default 338-06

Bought one of the Wby Ultra light's for one of my sons. Nice feel, good balance, recoil about like an 06. Had some challenges achieving loads with acceptable vel and accuracy. I was finally successful with TSX 210 gr. and maximal loads of Varget.

Default Go with .338-'06

For the reasons others have suggested I'd go with the .338-06 over the Scovill. Balistically you'll never know the difference. And it will be easier to get brass for the .338-06, you can even go with factory loads in a pinch, and you'll have certainty that the action will accommodate the .338-06 with no modifications. As others have said the .338-06 is a great cartridge.

I have a .338-06 built on a Mauser action with a 21" Hart barrel. I think you'd be fine with a 20" barrel if you like it for better handling. You'd lose a bit in velocity but not enough that you or the game will ever notice. Twenty one inches was my compromise but 20" would probably work equally as well. It's stocked with a fiberglass Brown Precision stock with Pachmayr Decelerator recoil pad and recoil is no worse than a .30-06.

I've had good luck with 61 grains of Reloader 19 behind 225 grain Nosler Partitions. Not particularly fast - @2350 but quite accurate - .6 inch 5 shot groups @ 100 yards and deadly on game. One shot kills on everything - everything shot has, literally dropped in its tracks (but good shot placement still matters, of course.) When working up this load I tried but gave up on Barnes X bullets because I just couldn't get good accuracy out of them. Will try the TSX in 225 as the accuracy in the TSX seems improved over the X bullets. The 140 grain TSX work fine in my .280 Ackley Improved.

The best accuracy I've obtained with 250 grain bullets is with 250 Speer Game King boat tails powered by 51 grains of Reloader 15. Shoots .4 inch five shot 100 yard groups at @ 2400 fps.

Good luck in building your new rifle. I hope you are as pleased with yours as I am with mine when it's all done.

Thanks for the input!

338-06 it is, with 22" barrel. I'm gonna have Montana Rifleman do it for me. They have left me all smiles in the past. I will do the lightest contour available. They will also get the honors of squaring and lapping.

I picked up a 1 3/4 x 5 Redfield several years ago (its new and in the original box). I think this would be a good place to initiate it! I've also got a Fajen laminated stock that still needs the barrel channel inleted. The action part of the stock has already been roughed in and this Bruno should drop right in once I do a little inletting for the Timmney trigger that it's already wearing!

I will let you know how this turns out!