Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: shed antlers

Default shed antlers

Now that I'm seeing more and more bull moose that have dropped their antlers, I was wondering what the regulations are in Alaska on picking up shed antlers? I'm talking about antlers dropped naturally by the animal, not antlers attached to the skull of a dead animal. I couldn't seem to find anyone on this topic in the hunting regs book. I know you can not pick up natural features from National Parks, but I was wondering about on State lands, private lands, other federal lands (BLM, NWRs, etc). Thanks.

Default finders keepers

you find it you get it as long as it isn't in a national park even if you find a whole animal or most of an animal...you can keep it....just take a bunch of pictures first....if you find a bear or bear skull you have to get it sealed but if you take a bunch of pictures and tell them what was going on it doens't even count for your bag limit.....good luck shed hunting....my boss found a little moose shed in a snowmachine trail the other day
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

Default what luck!

My wife and I decided to take a short walk today in an area where we've been seeing several moose hanging out. Not ten minutes into our walk and my wife points and says "Look"! There was an antler laying, dusted over with snow. Not 40 yards away I found the other half. We were pretty excited to say the least. We saw two other smaller bulls in the area carrying both sides, might have to go back next week to have another look.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That is awesome! What a great set of antlers. You're making me itch to go out. If we don't get ample snow to ski by next weekend, perhaps I'll hit the high alpine valleys around here looking for some sheds. Congrats!

I realize you didn't ask this question but you can legally sell all the shed antlers that you find if you so desire. The only rule about selling antlers is that they cannot be attached to the skull plate. There are buyers advertising in the Fairbanks Daily Newsminer on a regular basis. I believe they are paying $6 per pound for good solid antlers.

Quote Originally Posted by shearej View Post
    My wife and I decided to take a short walk today in an area where we've been seeing several moose hanging out. Not ten minutes into our walk and my wife points and says "Look"! There was an antler laying, dusted over with snow. Not 40 yards away I found the other half. We were pretty excited to say the least. We saw two other smaller bulls in the area carrying both sides, might have to go back next week to have another look.
    Great find. I found a small shed last year one day. Sure would like to find one like yours!!:)
    EricL

Thanks for the tip Contender, but this find is far too precious to sell ;) I have my eye on two other smaller bulls in the area, both were still carrying their antlers as of yesterday. Maybe I'll give a look this weekend if I see one of them turn up minus some antlers.

Thumbs up found these near the house..

was out checking the dogsled trail on the machine last night, as this little bull had been hanging out on it. he jumped across the trail with both horns, then jumped back with just one! i found the left one just off my trail, and went back this morning and found the mate about 200 yds from the last place i saw him.
    i guess them about 45-48" , sure hope he comes back next fall!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

shearej,
    That's awesome, I love hiking (hunting ) for antlers here in NM. While on Kodiak this past November a good friend of mine found a blacktail shed on the beach while we were walking to a place to climb up and glass. Lucky for me he gave it to me for christmas and it is so unique, it must have been in the ocean for quite awhile. It is faded but not cracked and has barnacles[sp] on it. If you or anyone else would like to trade moose or caribou antler for some NM elk let me know (gorman@cybermesa.com) I'm not looking for a bunch, just a few for my collection. I'll never be able to afford the"Grand Slam" of sheep so I'm trying to get an antler slam (antlers of each of the deer that shed antlers).

Take care,
    --Bill

Hi i am looking for antlers sheds of all kinds deer, moose, elk ,if any one out there can help me pm me and let me know thankyou

Default Pairs

For people looking for shed antlers, something I once read that might be of interest: most deer, elk, moose, etc., drop both within 100 yards of each other. So if you find one, don't give up too easy on the other.

in addition to this post, i read in the alaska magazine that a team of researchers discovered that one of the things that help a mooses antlers to grow large is that they chew on the sheds for the minerals and calcium. makes some sense....

Release Lake Trout

Thumbs up sheds

DSC03918.jpg found these on mchugh creek trail on 12-12-2010

Default Buying antlers

I will pay fair market price 5-6 dollars a pound for moose antlers depending on size and condition of antler. Iam working in soldotna will be here for a couple of weeks before i head back to texas E-MAIL luisrangelsr@yahoo.com thank you and god bless

Quote Originally Posted by cabinfields View Post
    DSC03918.jpg found these on mchugh creek trail on 12-12-2010
    Awesome find! With the snow starting to melt away lately, I'm hoping to get out and do some searching. I'm found a shed in the same small area right by my house two years in a row, hoping to go for three.

Are they for sell? Iam intrested in buying them!

Awesome find! With the snow starting to melt away lately, I'm hoping to get out and do some searching. I'm found a shed in the same small area right by my house two years in a row, hoping to go for three.
    Are the sheds in pic for sell iam intrested in buying them$$$$$$$.

Are they for sale iam intrested in buying the pair in the pic $$$$$$.

Sorry, not for sale.

Default Location

I have been doing some hiking this past few months, trying to get in shape for spring bear, but have not found any sheds. What type of country should I focus my search? From the posts, it seems that people are finding them all over. Just curious to see if higher elevation is better then low, or should I concentrate on water holes?

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast