Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 76

Thread: 30-06 for brown bear

  1. #1

    Default 30-06 for brown bear

    ...looking for opinions on the best brown bear round for a 30-06 springfield, i know its on the small side but i dont want to buy another rifle
    ...Jackie Bushman is a TOOL

  2. #2
    Member alaska bush man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    905

    Thumbs up 3006

    The Barnes 180gr TSX or Fail Safe. The Nosler Part 200 gr but prefer a TSX or Failsafe.

    Love my 30-06 but suggest a 338 win or 375 if your going after the big boys!

  3. #3
    Member Matt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    3,410

    Default

    180-grain Barnes TSX or Swift A-Frame bullets would be my choice.

  4. #4

    Default 30-06 For Brown Bears!!!

    Winchester 180 grain silver tips worked on this guy for us.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4HfhF4Rv5Q

  5. #5

    Default Read Elmer Keith

    You can take your 06 but make sure you read Hell I Was There by Elmer Keith. You might see why Keith pushed the 333OKH which became the 338 Win.
    Just my view but a 338 is not that expensive. Kimber makes a nice one.

    Sincerely,

    Thomas

  6. #6
    Member akprideinvegas's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Anchorage, Ak
    Posts
    579

    Default

    kobuko i went on amazon to look at that book and at 115 dollars for the cheapest copy i waont be reading that anytime soon. vance

  7. #7
    Member Alangaq's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!
    Posts
    1,232

    Default

    I have no first had experience with any of the Barnes bullets, but don’t doubt their effectiveness. That being said, I have always had really good luck and results with the plain old Hornady interlock bullets. The 220 gr round nose at 2500 fps should work nicely on a large critter like that, and they have always been very accurate out of my 30-06. I think they are about a third of the price of the partition, a-frame and Barnes, so you can actually shoot a bunch of them for practice without having your wallet catch on fire………………
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

  8. #8
    New member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    650

    Default

    If you handload, a 200 or 220 gr. N.P..

  9. #9
    New member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    419

    Default 30-06

    Another vote for the 200 grain partition or 220 Hornady.

  10. #10

    Default

    [quote=kaboku68;191828]..... You might see why Keith pushed the 333OKH which became the 338 Win.....

    I believe the .333 OKH actually became the .338/06. The main difference in the two rounds the bullet diameter. Both are based on the .30/06 case. The .338 bullets became available because of the .338 WM and at the same time the .333 bullets which were mainly used in the .318 Wesley Richards became very difficult to find, particularly in the U.S.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Former Palmer Resident, currently back in Northern NH
    Posts
    51

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by akprideinvegas View Post
    kobuko i went on amazon to look at that book and at 115 dollars for the cheapest copy i waont be reading that anytime soon. vance

    MidwayUSA has it in softcover for much less. I read it in fifth grade in 1981. Now I have 7- 44 magnums!

    Mike

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    2,083

    Default

    Agree with others about a heavy-per-caliber bullet: 200-220 grainers.

  13. #13
    Member stevelyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Fairbanksan in Aleutian Hell
    Posts
    1,316

    Default

    Stoke it with Federal Vital Shok High Energy stuffed with either the 180 gr Nosler Partition or the Trophy Bonded Bear Claw. That should boot your '06 up to into .300 H&H territory. You should be okay as long as you are particular about your shot placement.

    Oh yeah, don't shoot wet bears.
    Now what ?

  14. #14

    Default 30-06

    All of the mentioned bullets and loads will work fine,but you'll want to pay close attention to shot placement and be up close and personal. A shot where you can get both lungs at 50 yds would kill any bear on earth. A little more stealth and patience goes a long way in the field.
    I tend to use more than enough gun

  15. #15

    Default

    I killed a 9.5 -10ft B&C 27 Brown Bear last spring with a 30-06 180 gr. hornady interlock bullets, he dropped with one shot to the shoulder.

    Forget the bigger gun comments just put the bullet in the right place and you’ll be fine, and also forget the barnes bullets they are crap with all penetration and not expansion.

  16. #16

    Default

    180g Noslar Partition would be a good choice also.

  17. #17

    Default

    I understand where you are coming from about not wanting to buy a new gun because of money. However, after shooting 2 brownies and seeing one other shot all with a 300 win mag I am going to step up in gun this year. The .300 did fine but it did not kill any of them dead. Maybe it is just me but I hate watching a beautiful creature struggle to survive while it gets pummeled with lead. Brownies just don't like to die and I am not one to sit there and wait it out while they expire. Its not like a deer or bou where you can just walk up to it and dispatch it. I am sure you will do fine with a 30-06 but practice and practice with that gun.

  18. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bernie1 View Post
    I killed a 9.5 -10ft B&C 27 Brown Bear last spring with a 30-06 180 gr. hornady interlock bullets, he dropped with one shot to the shoulder.

    Forget the bigger gun comments just put the bullet in the right place and you’ll be fine, and also forget the barnes bullets they are crap with all penetration and not expansion.
    Nice shot on the bear, you hit him just right, good shot placement? Have you ever used the TSX on game? Have you ever faced a charging bear or other dangerous game with your 06? If you have done so, where would you place the shot with your 06 on a bear or lion (african) that was charging you? Can the 06 kill a bear? Yes!!! Is it enough? In most controlled circumstances!! In all circumstances? NO!!! Should one choose another cartridge to specifically hunt brown bear, YES!!!! I hope you don't ever have to find out what up close and angery is with only your 06 in your hand and if it is a single shot let us all know where you plan on being buried so we can attend your funeral and pay our final respects to your family, because if you continue to do so, one day you will pay. It is a different world when a dangerouse animal charges you. It becomes a different world when you are to close and you shoot it and it has time to make you pay for that little bullet you are using. Frankly I think you are taking a big chance. Now you might not care but to post on the forum the idea that it is all one needs and then someone who has not hunted bear is convinced by you it is ok and gets hurt or someone with him does, is in my opinion immoral.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Spokane, Washington
    Posts
    134

    Default 200 Grain Nosler

    I worked up some 200 gr. Nosler Partitions loads in a friends 30-06 for bear and moose. I ended up with a maximun charge of H4831 using a drop tube to get it all in. In fact, I had to back off on the charge because the bullet was backing back out of the case. I ended up right at 2600 fps and no signs of pressure and a very accurate load to boot. I feel this is where the Nosler Partition shines; 2600-2800 fps and a heavy for caliber bullet. If loading for a 300 magnum I would have gone with a bonded bullet such as a Swift or Trophy Bonded, with Swift being my favorite. Accuracy wise I seem to have better luck with the Swift A-Frames.

    Woody

  20. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by beartooth View Post
    Nice shot on the bear, you hit him just right, good shot placement? Have you ever used the TSX on game? Have you ever faced a charging bear or other dangerous game with your 06? If you have done so, where would you place the shot with your 06 on a bear or lion (african) that was charging you? Can the 06 kill a bear? Yes!!! Is it enough? In most controlled circumstances!! In all circumstances? NO!!! Should one choose another cartridge to specifically hunt brown bear, YES!!!! I hope you don't ever have to find out what up close and angery is with only your 06 in your hand and if it is a single shot let us all know where you plan on being buried so we can attend your funeral and pay our final respects to your family, because if you continue to do so, one day you will pay. It is a different world when a dangerouse animal charges you. It becomes a different world when you are to close and you shoot it and it has time to make you pay for that little bullet you are using. Frankly I think you are taking a big chance. Now you might not care but to post on the forum the idea that it is all one needs and then someone who has not hunted bear is convinced by you it is ok and gets hurt or someone with him does, is in my opinion immoral.
    AHH! Beartooth how your tune has changed!

    I remember when we first started talking you were considering using a bolt 30-06 or single shot 300 wby mag. for a Brown Bear hunt two things you just bashed me for. I actually saw you defend the stopping power of the 30-06 on African Game (Lion?) ever since you bought the 416 the little 30-06 has fallen very far from grace.

    If a big bear charges you in close quarters and the bear really wants you there is not shoulder fired rifle that will stop him before he can do some devastating things to you, unless the shot is placed in the brain or central nervous system. Breaking a large bone may help but three legged bear can still kill you fast. There is some statistic out there that says most charges like this take place in close quarters and brush thus you will only be able to take one shot. So yes I carry a Ruger #1 30-06 and it fits me perfectly I not saying it right for everyone but it s right for me and it works well. In open terrain have no problem saying I can dump plenty of lead in the right places to stop a bear.

    The best thing to do is never to hunt alone in AK and places that have dangerous animals so there is always backup and at minimum of two chances to stop a charging bear. Also use your head and don’t put yourself in dangerous situations.

    People flinching and not being able to hit the broad side of a barn because they’re scared of the gun they're shooting is foolish. A shot in the guts or superficial hit form a 416 Wby is way worse than a well placed 30 -06 bullet.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •