Thread: Griz/Caribou combo questions

Default Griz/Caribou combo questions

Hi,
    My friend and I are in the very beginning stages of planning a fall '08 hunt in AK. Neither of us have been there before so we are starting this research from scratch. I have read on this forum that non residents are limited to one caribou and was wondering if a griz/caribou combo hunt would be feasible. And if it is... where in AK should we start? And finally if anyone has any ideas for outfitters for 2 women from Montana.

Thanks for your help.

As non-residents you must be guided for griz.

The hunt is feasable but as Casper states, nonresidents are required to have a guide or be with a Alaska resident relative within the second degree There are a number of guies that offer the hunt but its expensive. Now black bear and caribou would be legal and there are a few places you can do it but the two species usually do not inhabit the same habitat.

Well, I think we would like a guide. However, now that I've really had some time to look into I don't think we could afford the combo trip. Are there any guides that people recommend for a caribou hunt?

Caribou are one of those hunts where you do not need a guide, its a very good do it yourself type hunt. It all really depends on your budget, a fly out, a outfitted drop camp or a fully guided camp. There are also a few hunt planners that can set everything up for you at a cost, Larry Bartlett and Mike Strahan are two of them. Regardless, if you have hunting experience aas well as camping in remote areas, then yu can certainly do it all yourself.

Default Caribou

You should look into Happy Valley up north for a drop camp for Caribou wich you wouldn't need a guide & shouldn't have any problem getting Caribou..I know a few people that have used the guy that flys out of there,But I'll have ask them for info. Goodluck