Thread: Camera Repair??

Default Camera Repair??

I bought my wife a Canon S2 IS camera last year and its not working so well now (dangit, I always liked Canon too!). When you turn it on, the lens comes out but the aperture (I guess) doesn't open and the screen is just black and when you take pictures it also shows up black, of course. You can cycle it off and on a few times or between reivew and picture take mode a few times and generally get it to work but it is definitely sub-par. Anyone have any experience with these cameras and might know a problem or can anyone recommend a good camera repair shop (I'm in Wasilla)? Or is it even worth it to repair it (dont know the going rates of camera repair)?

This is the biggest problem with newer cameras (even newer film cameras). When they break, you almost always have to toss them. I suspect, that some tech out there knows the solution, but finding the tech is the hard part. Usually he's working for (or owns) a repair shop, and is not interested in side jobs.

Canon has two repair facilities in NJ and CA, and their going rate for minimal repairs on camera stuff is about $150 last I asked. But they also generally have a list of different standard repair prices for most items. Still, it's not likely to be less than $150. You can also use any of the (Canon authorized or not) independent repair joints, and you might have better luck with them. But the usual reply is, "Not worth repair."

Replacing the S2 IS with the new S5 IS is about $350-400, but I bet you can pick up a used S2 IS on eBay for less than the repair.

Once needed to have a Canon 300 F2.8 repaired because the focusing motor fried. I found out from talking to several shops that it would have to go back to Canon for the repairs. So even if I took it to a repair facility they would just be a middle man and forward it to Canon. So it went to the warranty center in California
    Suggest you send it one of Canons warranty service centers asking for a repair quote. If the quote is to high then time to move on to a newer camera.
    Tennessee