Thread: Size new brass?

Default Size new brass?

Probably a stupid question but do you need to size new brass? I have only used fired brass before. For Christmas I got a bunch of new Winchester brass. Happy reloading. Thanks for the help.

It won't hurt anything and you'll ensure that it is properly sized.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Default Size new brass

I usually give new brass a run through the sizing die (don't forget the case lube, don't ask me how I know) as it seems like a large proportion of the new stuff I buy has dents in the case neck.

What Tom said.
    But if it is revolver brass then you will have to expand the necks as well to be able to seat the bullets.
    Tennessee

You are probably going to hear varying opinions as to whether it is necessary to resize virgin brass. First off what are you reloading rifle or handgun and for what purpose? Not knowing, my short answer is resize it. If you don't, you'll wreck a case trying to seat a bullet or have one that won't chamber, sooner or later. Been there, done that. Is it necessary no, generally speaking, new cases require no resizing prior to loading. For a dangerous game rifle total reliability is critical, therefore, I believe every case should be run through a full-length resizer.

"AND YE SHALL KNOW THE TRUTH AND THE TRUTH SHALL MAKE YOU FREE."

JOHN VIII - XXXII

Thumbs up Do it

I always full-length size new brass. I also measure it after I run it through the die...you'll be surprised how much variation in case length you'll find...even though it's brand new from the factory.