Thread: Powering 220 Hewescraft

Default Powering 220 Hewescraft

This discussion got started on another post I had asking about vehicle towing needs for a 22 ft Hewescraft Searunner, but I'm interested in following up on the other question in that thread. That question is below...

I'm rethinking buying a 220 Searunner with the F115. I'd rather have more power than less. When it's needed (as in the case of a heavy following sea) it's nice to have the power in reserve.

I'd like to hear from Hewescraft 220 owners and their experiences with a F115 hp compared to a F150 hp...Thanks.

Default Power?

" I'd rather have more power than less. " You just said it!! I have the 220 soft top and the 115 does just fine. I have often thought the 150hp or more woudl be great, faster and more power, BUT after last years and now this years gas prices, I am glad to have the 115hp. It does just fine and can handle 6-7 people, just a little slower getting on step. 3-4 people does better. If gas wasn't a big factor I would go bigger. Here is what I get:

Stats on Flow MeterMPHRPMGPH19.540004.12545004.92950005.93355007.4
    2003 220 Hewescraft Sea Runner 115 Yam'y, Soft Top "Schmidt Happens"

Default 115hp Hewes

I have the 22' hardtop with the 115hp Yama. I can run 33-35 mph wot . But on a nice day your lucky to run 28 mph, and most of the time its maybe 24 mph. Two of my friends have the 150hp and can get right at 40 mph wot. I do get a little better mileage, 3.5 to 3.7 mpg at the best, for me. And they don't beat me to the fishing holes, the boats ride the same , and you never run wide open anyways. I've found you have to play with some props to get the best performance for your boat.

Default Op 220

I have an Ocean Pro ET Hard Top with a 150 yamaha and it does great. I usually cruise around 28-30 mph burning around 9 GPH. I can push up to 38-40 mph wide open but fuel consumption just about doubles. As far as a 115 vs a 150 the 150 was deffinetly the better choice. Most of the people that I go with have boats that are slower than mine anyway, so the extra power is really not needed. Like Tomfishhunter said most of the time going fast isn't an option due to weather.

Go with a single 150
    or twin 115.
    I would not go with a single 115 if you can.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Anchorage only because that's where the work is

Default Go with bigger motor

I have been told by mechanics that running a four stroke at around 4000 rpm will add to the hours you get out of it.

I'm assuming a single 115 can get a hewes 22 on plane? I know that it won't with my 26. Like most everyone here go bigger or go twins.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default 22' Hewes

If I was ordering a new one I would get the 150, but having owned a 22 with a 115hp for 6 years and having taken it more places than most people go , I would'nt be afraid of it being dangerously underpowered. One thing I do once a year is to use a concentrated dose of Sea Foam or Yamaha's de- carbon solution. It really brings back the performance

Default 115 on a 22 soft top

My stats got garbled up last time when I copied and pasted. Here they are again. After 8 recorded trips in Seward with various seas, and running RPM (not trying to conserve) I averaged 4.69 GPH
    MPH RPM GPH
    19.5 4000 4.1
    25 4500 4.9
    29 5000 5.9
    33 5500 7.4

All my calculations show my best economy is 25 MPH as I will travel further with less gass.

Again my power was never lacking and gas was the best, but MORE power is always better, you just pay for it in $$$$
    2003 220 Hewescraft Sea Runner 115 Yam'y, Soft Top "Schmidt Happens"

Default Bigger

I say go bigger. You can always throttle it back.

When I bought my 220 OP I was too impatient to wait for a 225 or 200. The dealer had a 250 in stock. They called Hewescraft to see if it was Ok to go 25 horse over the data plate limit and within a week I had a new data plate from Hewescraft stating the max HP as 250.

@ 3500 rpm: 27 mph, 7.1 GPH, and 3.8 MPG.

@ WOT: 5800 rpm 49 mph, 22.4 GPH, and 2.18 MPG.

I know you're probably not looking at a motor that big but, a little extra info can't hurt.

Good luck

D
    2007 220 OP ET HT
    Yamaha F250txr
    Yamaha 8 kicker
    Garmin 498

I have a 22-foot hard top with an F115. It works, but it's not ideal. More power is better, IMO.

Here is a thread on the stats of my 150. If I had to do it again I would go 225 myself.... What I've learned is that having a bigger motor doesn't mean you are burning more fuel at eh same speeds, just that you have more top end and speed when you want/need it. Look at DEH's stats compared to mine for example.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ighlight=Stats
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Default I have the 150, wish I had the 200 or more

I have a 220 Pacific Cruiser with the Yamaha 150. It does good, no way I think the 115 is a sufficent motor for this boat. I wish I had spent the extra $$$ and gone with something a little bigger. It is nice to be able to get to the fishing grounds quicker and spend more time fishig and less time in transit. Although my wife just sleeps in the v-berth so she doesn't care. I had a 220 sea runner h/t with a johnson 140 and I think it was a bit under powered. I have never heard of anyone who said I wish I hadn't bought the bigger motor, but you will often here people say I wish I had bought the bigger motor.

Steve