Thread: September Martin Lake Silvers??

Default September Martin Lake Silvers??

Planning a trip to the FS cabin on Martin Lake out of Cordova this September and wondering if anyone has info about the run timing, size, etc for Silvers? How big do the silvers typically get? What about dollies? Are the silvers still pretty fresh at the lake outlet, or do you need to hike downstream for bright fish? Also, anyone run into any of the cutt/bow hybrids that I hear are available for catch and release? Any info would be much appreciated. Pretty excited to flyfish the Cordova area, as I've spent most time in SE and Western PWS.

Quote Originally Posted by jjac View Post
    Planning a trip to the FS cabin on Martin Lake out of Cordova this September and wondering if anyone has info about the run timing, size, etc for Silvers? How big do the silvers typically get? What about dollies? Are the silvers still pretty fresh at the lake outlet, or do you need to hike downstream for bright fish? Also, anyone run into any of the cutt/bow hybrids that I hear are available for catch and release? Any info would be much appreciated. Pretty excited to flyfish the Cordova area, as I've spent most time in SE and Western PWS.
    When I went there (~3 or 4 yrs ago), the silvers didn't start until beginning of september; there weren't any before then that year. They were mainly adult grade, medium size ~10# fish, some larger, some smaller. The dollies in the lake looked like sea-run migrants, very abundant (100's swarming around the inlet creek mouths) and pretty much all large (1-2# and up). You can catch 20" dollies on anything orange until your arms fall off. There are smaller dollies in the stream. It rained 6 inches one day and all the dollies disappeared and this big run of silvers came in.

But the silvers were not altogether that fresh; on average a little pink - and I saw fish pairing up and digging redds on Martin creek so they were ready to spawn. There were a small proportion of fresh fish, and a fair number of darker fish. As far as hiking downstream to where they might be fresh, that would be a heluva long hike (~10 miles is my guess), and I dunno what you would find. If you were gonna do that, it would be a better idea to raft down to the mouth and get a helicopter pickup there.

No cutthroats or cutt hybrids, but there were some pure rainbows. I fished mainly in the river. I was kinda limited in the lake cuz the motor I brought didn't work; the boat is big and heavy and hard to row. Definitely bring a motor, a long-shaft, and at least 15 hp, if you want to do the lake.

As far as "planning a trip to the FS cabin on Martin Lake....this september"; good luck on that - there are alot of people trying for this cabin at that time. I ended up getting the cabin just that one time on a cancellation, tried for years before that without success even 6 months out to the second.

Thanks for the info stevesch. That's helpful to get a better idea of the silver run - sounds like they're pretty adbundant. The lake is a ways up and so I was wondering about how fresh the silvers might be, they're a lot more exciting fresh, but it's hard to find a cabin around Cordova that has all the features (lake and stream fishing right out the door, plus what sounds like a scenic area) that Martin Lake has. Thanks for the heads up on the difficulty in reserving the cabin, the good ones always are! I'll give it a try. If that doesn't work out also considering Beach River, San Juan Bay, or Double Bay. I'm worried Beach might be a bit windy for flyfishing, as it sounds like it is pretty exposed to the Gulf. San Juan sounds promising , but the flight would probably be quite expensive from Cordova. I'm not sure about the size of the Silver run in Double Bay, plus it sounds like an inflatible would be advisable there. We'll see how it all works out, any more info on Martin Lake or advice on the other locations would be great if anyone has it.

I can't help you on beach, san juan, or double, never been there - dunno anyone who has fished them. So post a report if you go.

I did go to the nellie martin once, which had alot of pinks, as well as a good number of bright silvers. It's no secret either; the FS cabin there is also hard to reserve; and the area gets some tent campers and day-trippers during the silver peak.