Thread: Which 1?

Default Which 1?

I was wondering which one you like best. I have never been a real fan of black and white, but kind of like this one. With not much sun here lately, been playing with the longer exposures of nighttime.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    EricL

Like you, I'm usually a fan of color. However, every once in a while I see a B&W image that is better than color. This is one of them. The color image is quite good, but it is also predictable. It's like you've seen it all before. But the B&W version really stands out.

I would also crop the right side a bit to get rid of the close branches, and then I would crop a little of the bottom off to decenter the horizon line. This is an image where a centered horizon line can work in color, but not so much in B&W. Just a personal opinion of course.

Either way, it's a very nice shot.

Default Nice!

Amazing Shot!!! Ditto on the black and white image. They both work for me, but the B/W is really good. What camera did you use? This almost looks like a painting. Well done EricL.
    http://www.pbase.com/tull777

http://www.eddiefisherphoto.com/

"If you're too open-minded, your brains will fall out. ....."Tight Lines & Best Fishes"

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Strutz View Post
    Like you, I'm usually a fan of color. However, every once in a while I see a B&W image that is better than color. This is one of them. The color image is quite good, but it is also predictable. It's like you've seen it all before. But the B&W version really stands out.

I would also crop the right side a bit to get rid of the close branches, and then I would crop a little of the bottom off to decenter the horizon line. This is an image where a centered horizon line can work in color, but not so much in B&W. Just a personal opinion of course.

Either way, it's a very nice shot.
    Thanks for the input Jim! I have come to really study the feedback you give to folks on here. I will make the adjustments you mentioned tomorrow. Just installed CS3 and still playing around with it. This crazy photography is very addictive!

Quote Originally Posted by tull777 View Post
    Amazing Shot!!! Ditto on the black and white image. They both work for me, but the B/W is really good. What camera did you use? This almost looks like a painting. Well done EricL.
    Thanks Tull, hadn't thought much about this shot. Had sent a few to family and brother was wanting a large black and white for his wall. Made me go back and take another look. Someday we'll have to get together and click a few off!!
    EricL

Thats the beauty of PS. You can have BOTH!! Agree on the crop. My vote would be to crop just to the right of the comm tower with the 3 red lights. That way you keep the star and the steam also. AWESOME picture.

How is this looking?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    EricL

Yeah, I like it better. But then, I liked the first one too.

The dilemma is always how much to crop. Now, with the bottom removed, it looks wider than I prefer. Or perhaps it's not wide enough for a panorama type crop, and the bottom should be cropped more. Or maybe the top too. Or maybe with the right mat it would look balanced as is. Ooooh, the choices!

Nope, I like it. Print it.

You know, with the smoke/steam rising to the star, with the tower lights next to it, and the hillside lights on the other side, it looks like a whole lot of fireworks going off. Not knowing about the star in Arctic Valley, one would start wondering how they got the fireworks to make such a perfect shape. Let 'em wonder. It's cool.

dude the color one is killer. BTW where is that veiw of anchorage earthquake park?
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

That one came from the parking lot at the end of the airport road. Does that lot have a name?
    EricL

Default Nice shot..

Nice shot Eric. I like the second one better. I dont know enough about photography yet to tell you why. It just generates more thought/emotion. Beautiful picture. I would have never thought a b&w skyline would be so impressive. It is though. Nice photo!
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Excellent black and white!! Very nice shot..

Default Skyline

Quote Originally Posted by EricL View Post
    Tull ...Someday we'll have to get together and click a few off!!
    Yes, would like to get out and shoot some frames. I have been spending every bit of free time on Elmendorf and Fort Rich looking for wolves and no luck so far. Lots of tracks and no fur. I now have weekends off ...Are you still working the mid week work schedgule?
    http://www.pbase.com/tull777

http://www.eddiefisherphoto.com/

"If you're too open-minded, your brains will fall out. ....."Tight Lines & Best Fishes"

Default Ft Rich

I was also out on Ft. Rich and Elmendorf this weekend, didn't see any wolved or moose, but a bunch of eagles along Eagle River on Ft. Rich.

Is the image reversed? I don't see all the city growth to the north of the star.

I think it would be beautiful if you kept the color in the water (it's incredible) and the color on the mountains, but pulled in the B&W cityscape (it's to busy/distracting). In my opinion that would be the absolute best. The cropping job is a little too crowded for me too (cropped a little too much all the way around).

Beautiful photos!!! Thanks for posting them.
    Science has a rich history of proving itself wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by tull777 View Post
    Yes, would like to get out and shoot some frames. I have been spending every bit of free time on Elmendorf and Fort Rich looking for wolves and no luck so far. Lots of tracks and no fur. I now have weekends off ...Are you still working the mid week work schedgule?
    Well, normally off Thur and Sat right now. Have been sneaking in some comp time here lately. Is it too much to ask that after 20 years to get weekends off??

Quote Originally Posted by alaskamokaiman View Post
    Is the image reversed? I don't see all the city growth to the north of the star.
    Nope, not reversed. It is as seen that night.

Quote Originally Posted by RainGull View Post
    I think it would be beautiful if you kept the color in the water (it's incredible) and the color on the mountains, but pulled in the B&W cityscape (it's to busy/distracting). In my opinion that would be the absolute best. The cropping job is a little too crowded for me too (cropped a little too much all the way around).

Beautiful photos!!! Thanks for posting them.
    I am still learning this CS3. Actually taking another class starting tomorrow. All this stuff has become way to addictive!!
    EricL