Thread: Chena River Trapping

Default Chena River Trapping

Does anyone trap on the Chena River? Is it safe to travel the ice on the river if you were to run a trap line off of it? Just looking for ideas.

Default chena trapping

You'll be hard pressed to find an area on the chena or one of it's tributaries that isn't already claimed, just remember that trappers will let their lines rest a year or two so even if you don't see any activity this year doesn't mean they won't be laying steel next year. I ran into a fella who was trying to trap the Chatanika and he said every time he set his traps he would come back to find a note that he was on someone else's line, I told him he was to close to Fairbanks and if he wants to start a line he needs to get farther away from town, way outa town!! A buddy of mine traps off beaver creek and he said he constantly has military guys riding his trapline trying to find a place to put in their own line, For those from outside.........please don't ride on a trappers trail. Thanks

How does a claim to a trapline work? Is it the honor system? Just curious.
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

Default claim

Trappers generally know who traps near their area and the lines are honored, also most trappers post their trails with name and phone # or trapping license # and you can also register your line with the ATA ( Alaska trappers association ).

Default trapping

thunder chicken1. It is nice to know that only military guys ride trap lines. There are not a lot of other people starting trapping the area besides the militay. I really can't stand when people say it is military folks. I trap and I'm military and I can say that I have or never would ride a trap line that is being used. I have been out and seen a trail that hasn't been rode in weeks and then once I got a down the trail and seen some snares I turn around. Mind you it looked like these snares have not been checked in weeks or even a month that must be military folks also. I have no intention of trapping these trails. I already have a line and have had it for ten years. It is just nice to get out on the snow go and see what is out there. Please don't hate on the military. Remember you were at one time looking for a line and with the gas prices the way that they are I can't blame anyone for wanting to stay by town. Also the whole thing of little the line rest for a while. Well how is a guy to find out if it is being trapped. I'm a member of the ATA and have been to a lot of meeting. I can say no one and I mean no one has ever talked to me at a meeting. I have even introduced myself a few times to verious people and got the shoulder shrug and the look of that is nice now go away. How do you go about to finding if someone is trapping the area? Not everyone labels there trap line. It just really gets to me when someone says military guys riding there trails.

Default military guys

I say it because these guys were stopped and talked to and they said they were military, I'm not ragging on the military just stating a fact of what happened. I've talked to many trappers and I've never gotten the cold shoulder either, they know the areas well and usually know which areas are being trapped and which ones aren't. I got alot of info just by asking and talking to people. Sorry if I offended but it wasn't intentional...........

I don't see any military bashing. Just some simple facts. Nothing at all against the military folk, without them I wouldn't have the freedom to do the things I enjoy and I really mean that. But, being born and raised here I have seen it all. In the 70's & 80's it was the slopers. The guys moving up here to work on the pipeline and getting out to enjoy the state had an inpact on places that were quiet and peaceful. The impact was so great that I believe it was part of the reason of certain fish & game laws being brought forward. I see it now from the 90's to present with the military. Who could blame a guy getting to come up here and sample the best hunting,fishing and trapping in the world? I wouldn't. I run into and have several friends that are military and I do my best to try to explain to them that we all need to work together because they don't make anymore land, just more people. I run a trapline in an area where there are no less then 20 people trapping a 100 sguare miles. We all know each other and respect one another and when someone tries to move in, and it happens quite often, we take the approch of first being up front with the person letting them know of others near by. If that person still insists on setting on top of another trapper then we work together to get the message across.

Default Military guys

I'm sure no offense was meant and I really, really try to avoid any of the military discussion/ squables that go on here (whole forum). I think some of the military guys bristle up over stuff like that. Basing a "guy" on his job. No one ever mentions Mc Donald's workers ruining the hunting. Being in the military is no different than any other 9-5. At five o'clock and the day is done a guy is just a guy.
    Thank you for clarifying your point though.

we did trp the upper chena a few years mostly for mink. Found a small area where no one was at, or no one wanted to get out and hike too. Had some otters coming through, and fond a small small spot for martin. We didnt trap it for fear of trapping it out. Tried every trick I could think of for those otters though....never saw one, never caught one. They came through the same spots year after year.

There was fur to be had, being new we didnt catch much, but learned a ton. Kind of hard to boil traps living in the barracks. The regime was something to the effect of, buy a cheap small pot and burner plate, boil traps in the barracks, hang them out the window. Put them up in ziplocks after awhile. Didnt work so well but sure was a helluva lot of fun!

I've kicked the idea of running a small snare line again now that we have sleds again. Dont have much in the way of traps though and dont have the time to get to far from town.

There are places not all that far from town if you hunt and peck for them you'll find them. Don't let the FTA or ATA bullies run you out like they did to us! Instead of promoting, they'd rather run everyone out and keep it to themselves. Had a few friends also in the club that the same thing happened too. SO get out on your own and have fun. You might run down to Northway to go visit Dean Wilson. His wife makes some awesome hats, wish I would have bought one while they were here in Fairbanks. He was definatly a fun man to spend some time with!!!

Default Trap line registration

Instead of wasting time bashing each other why don't we as a group pool our collective intelligence and come up with a registration system for trap lines? If there was a single place that we as trappers could go and see where established trap lines are it would sure make things easier and avoid these conflicts. I know (because I am that way myself) would prefer to keep the locations of their trap lines secret. Keeping them secret is a double edged sword, yes you might avoid someone moving in close to you but you run the risk of other running your trails etc because they're ignorant of the fact that it's a trap line. Just my 2 cents.

Default sounds better than it would be tradbow

tradbow trapline registration sounds lik ea great idea, until you get one guy registering 4 different HUGE areas because he is "letting the other three rest". Or you get the guy who claims 10 areas because customarily he has trapped them all in different years.

it would be a NIGHTMARE.

I will be the first to admit its a flawed system, but I don't think mandatory registration is the answer.

I do believe there is a voluntary deal with the ata or fta.

TBK? cough cough.....looks like I have an evil twin haha.

Default I don't think

I don't think the ata still registers traplines, but i could be wrong, in the bush i have not had the need to do so. You could check with them, but i am fairly sure they don't do it anymore. I will find out for you tonight.

Then if you do register a line, and it turns out someone else has been using it for years and was just letting it rest, whose line is it? one guy has it registered VOLUNTARILY with the ATA and one guy has been trapping it for 30 years every other year?

This is and has been a mess for YEARS, and its why i will not move to the road system.

Default Dean Wilson??

Quote Originally Posted by TradBow View Post
    we did trp the upper chena a few years mostly for mink. Found a small area where no one was at, or no one wanted to get out and hike too. Had some otters coming through, and fond a small small spot for martin. We didnt trap it for fear of trapping it out. Tried every trick I could think of for those otters though....never saw one, never caught one. They came through the same spots year after year.

There was fur to be had, being new we didnt catch much, but learned a ton. Kind of hard to boil traps living in the barracks. The regime was something to the effect of, buy a cheap small pot and burner plate, boil traps in the barracks, hang them out the window. Put them up in ziplocks after awhile. Didnt work so well but sure was a helluva lot of fun!

I've kicked the idea of running a small snare line again now that we have sleds again. Dont have much in the way of traps though and dont have the time to get to far from town.

There are places not all that far from town if you hunt and peck for them you'll find them. Don't let the FTA or ATA bullies run you out like they did to us! Instead of promoting, they'd rather run everyone out and keep it to themselves. Had a few friends also in the club that the same thing happened too. SO get out on your own and have fun. You might run down to Northway to go visit Dean Wilson. His wife makes some awesome hats, wish I would have bought one while they were here in Fairbanks. He was definatly a fun man to spend some time with!!!

Tradebow,

Dean Wilson lives in Kenny Lake. Just wanted to make the correction! A great guy for sure!

Thanks NW...yes he is without question!!!!!

Be careful on the Chena, some ice is 4' thick and some is 1".