Thread: Charley River

Default Charley River

Has anyone floated the Charley lately? was wondering what water levels have been like with the lack of snow the past couple years?

Default I have not However

I have rented rafts to a few people who floated it last year and becuase of Lower Water to my understanding that 40 mile air is dropping people off lower and not utilizing the 3 forks strip.

Now Mind you I can only pass on what I was told there may be others out there with a better explination who have floated it in the past two years.

Best Wishes

Blue Moose

akhunter02,

Depends on what time of year you are wanting to float, and how much rain we've had. Low snows in recent years and extended spring melt times have led to low spring runoffs. River level after that is mostly dependent upon rains and can rise fast and dramatically. Not much snow here (I'm on the north side of the Yukon) so far this winter. I imagine that a call to some Yukon-Charley staff in Eagle would be fruitful after breakup or any time during summer to get river level info. Plenty of rafters (including NPS staff) have floated the Charley from the 3 Fingers strip in the past couple years, but they weren't hunters planning on taking on extra game meat weight.

Default thanks

I figured as much, we will not be hunting above Galvins strip, just wanted to float down from 3 fingers just to do it then start hunting from there