Thread: My first OB jet boat, i hope?

Default My first OB jet boat, i hope?

hi everybody!....i have been reading with great interest some of the info on jet boats etc!..thanks to all!....
    ok, before i tell you what i have in mind, here is the boat that i am interested in!..its a Quintrex from aussie land!

================================================== ============
    Length Maximum: 4.27m

Length of Hull: 4.27m

Beam: 1.87m

Depth: 1.07m

Length on Trailer: 5.40m

Height on Trailer: 1.60m

Bottomsides: 2.00mm

Topsides: 1.60mm

Transom Material: 2.00mm

Transom Shaft Length: L/S

Weight (boat only): 164kg

Rec. HP: 25hp

Rec. KW: 19 Kw

Max. HP: 40hp

Max. KW: 30 Kw

Main Motor Weight: 110kg

Number of People (Basic): 5

Max Load (Basic): 560kg

Number of People (Level): 4

Max Load (Level): 470 kg

===========================
    It is all aluminun and i want to put the new merc 4-stroke 40jet hp(based on a 60hp head) on it, which has a 15 inch leg!!
    so:
    1. Can the boat be tunneled?..is the bottom thick enough?...does it need to be tunneled?....i was reading the leg would lift up anyways if i smacked some rocks!!... i dont "plan" on jumping beaverdams, but i am worried about getting to shallow at times!!..i tend to break things, but, i am older and wiser now!1(wink)

2. What speeds would i get fully loaded/half loaded etc?

3. Would the boat go up "on step" easy, and at what loads would that happen?....i have been reading about the 25% rule( at the power headnot the jet), so i think it would "step up" quiet easily??

4. Should i consider a teflon bottom too?

5. I would like to put a smaller stearing consul on the starbaord side, but still sit on the back seat!..is that ok?...was thinking about a centre consul, but really like the room?

6. Since the boat has a 20 inch trasom, can i tunnel it(3 inches), and shave 2 iches off the transon to make it sit right and get enough water?

7. The motor is about 10 kgs over weight??????...if this is "playing with fire" , can it been upgraded with a few supports??

7. Finally, if this is not workable, i was thinking about putting this same motor on a 16 footer Lund SSV!...can a rivoted boat be tunneled, or just use as is??

As you can tell, i know crap, and would appreciate any/all advice.,,i want this for me and the mrs, salmon fishing rivers, and bigger lake fishing- will put a smaller outboard for trolliong etc(5hp)...plus, would use it for hunting the rivers in BC. Canada, more day trips(moose) in mind then anything else!..i have spent the last 12 years moose hunting and fishing the rivers in my 14 foot and a 15 hp evinrude....3 iches of freeboard left, yes--- pure folly!!..LOL!... i have banged that prop up many times, but alway litlle damage--been lucky!...but, it's time for a change and new rivers to explore!!

Any feedback?..thanks again larry

Last edited by bcriverhunter; 01-04-2008 at 01:57. Reason: photos

hi, was hopeing for some imput but oh well!!...i will keep reading and looking on the web!..maybe someone here will set me straight?.....ps..sorry for all those questions, there are quite a bit!....thanks larry

Default Crestliner Sportsman Tunnel Version

Check out the Crestliner Sportsman. It is very similar to the New Zealand model on your post, but you can buy one in Big Lake or Soldotna. It is available with a tunnel from the manufacturer. It is a welded boat that costs about $4500 for a 18ft hull with no motor or trailer. Since it has a 4-degree true-vee hull (i.e the front has a steep vee) , it will not go a shallow as a flatbottom boat or a boat with less vee at the front, but you can also push it off a sand bar more easilly because you will get stuck in 8 or 10 inches of water instead of 4 or 5 inches.............If you really want a shallow river runner, this type of boat is not the best choice, more of lake/river combination boat.

thanks tito..never heard of them!....very close to the lund, but a few changes....bow depth about 6 inches lower and heavier then the LUND(but is welded, is that thick enough to tunnel?(.100) and about 12 inchs lower than the quintrex!...but nice!!...
    also, as to my origianl post, i went down to the local marine dealer here and measured the motor, it fits a 20" transon, wonder why they call it a 15?..LOL!...
    i will look at the quintrex this week, sit in it to see if i like it, and if not ,will get the lund 16 footer ssv!....i will go a get a few pics of a lund with a 30hp and SC to show you guys, and hopefully, tell me what ya think??...life sure is about compromises!!!....thanks larry

16 footer ssv, 360 pounds dry...i would make the middle seat walk through and get better seats for fishing, lose them to the cheaper ones for hunting!..plus, stick the 4 stroke, 40hp(at the jet) on it...does the deadrise look ok?..cant seem to find a number for that??...seems like it is under 10 and above 5??...hopefully cavatation would be minimal??...thanks larry

Last edited by bcriverhunter; 01-06-2008 at 06:54. Reason: photos

My question is why would you be purchasing a semi-V boat for river running. If you want a boat in that range that will perform and run shallow your better off with a flat bottom boat imo. I know I'm not the only one that saw alot of jiberish wish all the dimensions you posted but frankly it would make me think to hard I have to agree if your looking for a lake boat it looks like it would be great for that. I'm no expert on tunneling a boat but from what I have seen a tunneled boat will have a deeper draft at the stern at rest and if your putting a motor that is heavier than designed your probably just creating more issues.

Default Crestliner Sportsman "Tunnel"

I should clarify the "tunnel" on a Sportsman is really just a short delta pad (flat spot) at the transom that is meant to provide smoother flow into a jet foot.

It is not really a true tunnel that is cut up into the bottom of the boat. A true tunnel, such as is done on G3 John Boat, Wooldridge type boats etc...., is meant elevate the jet boat above the bottom of the boat so it does not hit the river bottom as easilly.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBighorn View Post
    imo. I know I'm not the only one that saw alot of jiberish wish all the dimensions you posted .
    yes, you are right bighorn,,,to some that is alot of jibberish,,including me, but, to some it is not jibberish, and to them it is important in making an decision, thats why i included it!...much like the hunter/shooter who cares about sec,density/ ballistical co-eff etc, as apposed to the old time hunter who says.."who cares , hit'm with a 180 grainer in the boiler room and lets eat tonight!!"

also, like i said before i need something that will do both--compromise!...it is def give and take, wish i had more cash to buy 2 separate boats, but i dont!!( boy , would that be nice!!)..at this point it looks like the Lund, but i havnt written a cheque yet!!..LOL!!..thanks for the input!...larry

Quote Originally Posted by titobandito View Post
    I should clarify the "tunnel" on a Sportsman is really just a short delta pad (flat spot) at the transom that is meant to provide smoother flow into a jet foot.

yes, i read somewhere guys are doing that themselves by taking off the back foot or so of the keel, to smooth out the intake to the jet!..thanks larry

Larry,
    I like your enthusiasm, reminds me of myself when I got something I want like a boat. My Father has that exact Lund in your picture, except different brand motor. I think you can't go wrong with a vee bottom vs a flat bottom. We have had the whole spectrum of boats in our family, every boat is a compromise they say, but not necessarly for the worst. We have run rivers with vee's and flats, jets and props, flats with jets get nicely stuck on the gravel bars, props and vees get nicely dinged and scratched, depends on where you drive it. Vee's make it across places like Skilak lake in rough water, flats are great in the Little Su. We could go on and on, the discussion of Vee's vs flat bottom boats is endless, I'll stop here. The Lund is a good quality boat, good rep, been around, can't go wrong with it. You'll do good in rivers that don't require an airboat to navigate them. Good luck and enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Myers View Post
    here. The Lund is a good quality boat, good rep, been around, can't go wrong with it. You'll do good in rivers that don't require an airboat to navigate them. Good luck and enjoy!
    Myers....i agree, i think it sounds like i will have some fun this year--with those compromises in mind!.....will post a pic when i get it, and all "tricked" out!!.....thanks larry

ps.now, on to a depth sounder??....will this ever end??....LOL!!.

Default Crestliner is a welded Lund

If you are sold on the Lund, the Crestliner is almost exactly the same shape, but it is welded and thicker material............The Crestliner may have slightly more vee at the transom also which is good or bad depending on what you want to do....

Default Here's somethin like it

This is my 18 foot Lund (if the pic attaches...if not I'll fix it later) with a 60 hp powerhead/ 40 at the jet, Yammer. The lund is an older model when the transom was flat....compared to todays vee hulls stem to stern. This set up cruises at 28 mph light and 22 loaded and I have gotten on step on a swift river going down stream with an entire moose, plus camp gear and myself...it's very well powered...not wickedly fast but when you can put a 260 pound buddy, 52 gallons of gas and camping goodies and oodles of beer in it and cruise along at 4 gallons per hour....it ain't gotta be pretty for it to shine.

Not sure what that same motor would do to a 16 footer probably almost too much power (if there really is such a thing) and would definitely make you drop like a stone when you come off step.

Like you are looking for this rig is great for lakes and rivers. I am entirely comfortable taking it across the bay to go up the Nushagak and also on the large lakes north of Dillingham, but i can twist up a tight little stream nearly as well as a same sized jetsled.

I suggest the same to anyone who doesn't want to buy two boats, but the key is the older lund with the flat bottom in the back....the new v's will not perform as well in shallows...will not help that much compared to the old ones in the waves...and it will be tough to get your jet a decent amount of water without feeding it air or dragging it too low. Plus, they are rather cheap...I just looked in peoples backyards until i found one in running condition and walked up to their door and bought it off of them....

Don't sweat the rivets versus welded unless you truly plan to wack the snot out of your rig. I've pounded mine pretty well and it doesn't leak any more than any other 20 year old boat would. It does help to tighten the rivets when you first get it and a good bilge is always in order. A welded version would be so very nice but you don't lose out that much if you do the jet on a lund route. Also, the reason it fits a 20 inch transom is because the way you mount a lower unit versus a prop is completely different so the normal convention doesn't exactly work and almost any boat is gonna need some fine tuning for the proper height. On mine it's a long shaft transom and a long shaft motor...that said, i had to raise it 5ish inches with a riser plate to make it fit right. I've run this puppy all over Dillingham's waterways and it has been a great performer for hunting to fishing to just jetting. I can even backtroll with just the jet for kings...no kicker.

I went with a tiller because i like to use the fact that I have a jet and feel much more in control in tight waters with a tiller than a console but that's completely personal choice...

it's not foreveryone and you won't win any beauty pageants but it's a sound rig and I'm surprised i don't see more lunds with jets.

I've gone through all the stuff you are currently weighing in your mind and can tell you the pros and cons of each, and if I can save someone else the torment of wondering what if, I am glad to...feel free to pm me if you want more info.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I suppose I wasn't clear with what I said. By jiberish I meant that the dimensions you posted were in meters. Although I have a machinist background I don't function real well with converting everything to the metric system so what I saw was all greek without doing the math I think its great that you are thinking about your purchase before just settling for the first one that comes your way. I had never heard of "tunneling" a boat as titobandito described so I guess I learned something as well. My first aluminum boat was a 15' Klamath w/25 hp Johnson (prop). I too did some research as to what I thought would fit my needs and my budget and the one thing I would suggest as already has been is to look for an all welded boat. BTW, if you didn't already know, a boat is a hole in the water you throw money into. It won't stop with a depth finder.

wow...thanks guys..i have to run right now, but will be back with more questions!!.....i havnt heard the fat lady sing yet so??...thanks again..larry (feel like the duck gettting shot at the fair,,back and forth ..back and forth--but i love it!!....

Quote Originally Posted by Catch It View Post
    ...feel free to pm me if you want more info.
    thanks..will do that!!....how heavy is that boat of yours dry?...its nice to know a 40hp at the prop can push that baby at those speeds!!....i am used to "luggging" mine with a 15hp with a big moose at about 3-5 miles mph..to me, that is race car speeds!!......what would you guess the diff in shallow deapth running inches wise would be with the deadrise of the new lunds as compared to that older boat and flat bottom near the transom like yours?....now, you have me looking at older lunds and flatter bottoms!..thanks for making my life complicated again!!.LOLthanks larry

Quote Originally Posted by titobandito View Post
    If you are sold on the Lund, the Crestliner is almost exactly the same shape, but it is welded and thicker material............The Crestliner may have slightly more vee at the transom also which is good or bad depending on what you want to do....
    tito,,,yes, i have been looking at them again( like i said to "catch it,",,thanks for making my life complicated again!!.......the prob is, i cant find a dealer near PG BC..so, that is making my life easier!...i think the 4 deg dead rise is a great compromise and all the other benifits etc!..cant really get a number on the deadrise of the Lund?...have to keep looking.....

plus, i am still holding off on the quintrx..i phoned the guy today, i will know right away( i hope), once i sit in it!!...,if not,,looks lke the lund still!...compromise, compromise, comp...thanks larry