Thread: 325 wsm

Default 325 wsm

Tell me about this cart. I have a 338 wm that I have used for years. I am thinking of giving it to my daughter who shoots it really well, so i am thinking of replacing it with this 325. There is so much new stuff now a days ai just don't know. Comments?

Sovereign Mountain, Alaska USA

The .325WSM to me is neither fish nor fowl, really a tweener. I tried this cartridge out just for something a little different. I have loaded and shot this cartridge in a Kimber Montana for over a year. I am unable to provide any real world observations on its performance on game as I haven't done anything but punch paper with it (but I have achieved good accuracy w/ 200gr ABs, NPs, and TSX ). The .325WSM is a decent cartridge, but, I'm not sold on it. .325WSM (8mm caliber) is somewhat limited in bullet offerings, I knew this going in to it because I also shot the 8mm Rem Mag. There are very few (three) .325 WSM factory loadings available to those who don't roll their own. To my way of thinking .308 and .338 calibers are much more versatile. The .325WSM doesn't really give you much more than what you can get from a .300 Win Mag (or 300WSM for that matter), can't throw any heavier bullets, velocity difference is negligible, just a tad more frontal area and provides no where near the performance of a .338 Win Mag. There are only a few factory production rifle models available in this chambering. I don't really think the .325WSM will be around for the long haul. The only advantage I perceive in the .325WSM is that it is available in some short action lightweight powerhouses. For example my Montana weighs in at 6.0 lbs. dry. If you want to shoot something a little different, and want a bit more power than a 300 magnum go for it, there is nothing wrong with this cartridge. I'm sure some members with actual hunting experience with the .325WSM will join in and attest to its terminal effectiveness on game.

I posted this in 2006 in another thread. This year I ranged the spot where I shot the moose and it was 325yds. All 3 critters were shot with factory winchester ammo 200gr Accubonds. Last summer at the range I put 2 rounds side by side an inch apart at 300yds. I am getting into reloading and have loaded up some 220gr sierras for it but haven't shot them yet. I'll probalby work up some lighter sheep loads too for grins but realistically I could stick with the 200 gr accubonds and kill anything I want to hunt. Not too interested in a big brownie but wouldn't have a prob shooting an interior griz. A 200gr 8mm bullet launched at about 2900fps is deadly medicine for any north american big game. A guy could load up some 220 A-Frames for dangerous critters if he wanted too. Or... just get a 375 instead!

12 day, 50 mile walkin sheep hunt. Nice to carry a 7lb 2oz rifle. Lots of rain, mud, brush busting etc.

Aug 12th. I killed a Dall sheep with it at about 350+ yds. Shot up hill, hit him low. High in the lower leg up through the brisket and blowing out the far shoulder.

Aug 14th. My partner killed his Dall sheep with it also after his gun jambed. Double lunged him at 200 yds. Poked a nice hole right on through. Broke a rib going in and out.

4 Wheeler Moose hunt. The Yamaha Griz didn't mind the 7lb 2 oz rifle either
    Sept. 9th. I shot a 40 inch Moose at about 350 yds. Hit him in the hump. Shattered his spine and dropped him. Recovered the bullet under the hide. Perfect mushroom. If I can find a scale I'll wiegh it.

*I have since weighed the bullet. 140 grains. Retained 70% of it's weight just like Nosler claims the accubonds do.

A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again