Thread: Boating Skills and Seamanship course

Default Boating Skills and Seamanship course

The U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary is putting on a Boating Skills and Seamanship course that runs from January 28th to March 17th. The class is held every Monday and Wednesday from 7-9pm. Course material will include: which boat is right for you?, trailering, powering, handling, and piloting your boat. Also, the course will cover: weather and boating, equipment, lines and knots, "highway" signs, and small boat safety. This is a fantastic course and I highly recommend it to those new to boating. If you have any questions please send me a pm or check out the calendar section of this site.

Thanks,

Dave

I took the class a few years ago and highly recommend it. Especially if you're just starting out. Oh, and most insurance companies will reduce your boat insurance rate if you show that you've taken the class.

Default other locations

Do you know who to contact for scheduling a class another location. Say down on the peninsula? Thanks!

Default USCG Aux. web link Dist. 17

Here is a link to the Alaksa Coast Guard Auxiliary site.

You can click on take a boating course and see the places listed.

I did look up Kenai and they do not have a course listed for this year. I used to help teach the Eagle River courses and know that Kenai used to teach a course every year too. Not sure if they are just not doing one or just haven't organized it yet. It is a good class though. I also teach boating safety for the USFWS and the USCG classroom course work is more thorough and in depth. Plus you get to talk boating with fellow Alaskans in the middle of winter.

Lightbulb sorry forgot the link here it is...

W- thanks for the info. I'll see what I can find!