Thread: Resurection Trail MTN biking

Default Resurection Trail MTN biking

Greetings,

Has anyone MTN biked to Caribou Creek and or Fox Cabins on the Resurection Trail? Want to make some June plans while there are some cabin reservations still open.

Thanks

Default Old post...

There are a lot of old post on similar subjects. I was researching the same a few months back trying to plan a hike/bike on the trail myself. Click on the search button at the top right of the forum page and enter "Resurrection Trail" and you will find lots of pertinent info. Here is one such posting.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...rrection+trail
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default MTN Biking the Resurrection Trail

Two posts talk some about Moutain Biking it, most are hiking and hunting. It can be done I'm aware of that, I will be doing it with a 9 and 12 year old. They are troopers and last year biked the 11+ miles to Aspen Flats Cabin so I have no doubt they can make it to Fox Cabin and beyond. They both got new bikes for their Birthdays this year too so they better be up for it.

Thanks

I've gone to Caribou Cabin in May. I walked the bike most of the way, however. Still a bit early. June should be a great ride. Post then to check current snow conditions.

Default Biking Resurrection Pass Trail

I have ridden the entire trail two separate times. Idahokayaker is right that starting at Hope is the best way to go. You should be able to ride the entire trail in 8 - 10 hours. We decided not to camp overnight so we didn't have to haul all the gear you need for camping. We carried camelbacks and water bottles on our bikes since it can be quite a distance between water sources. One trip we used a water filter and the second trip we used iodine tablets and the neutralizer tablets to make the water drinkable. We also took powdered gatoraide to mix with the water. It is a great ride on a nice day. The trail from the pass to Coopers Landing is rocky and overgrown in some spots. A full suspension bike would really save your important body parts from the pounding you will take on this ride. Copy the map and mile markers for each of the cabins ...etc from the 55 Ways to SC Alaska book and tape it to your handlebars. Then you will know how far you have to go. Enjoy it!!!!!!

Thanks for all the info, I will be traveling with my two boys (12 and 9), they have made 20 mile trips in the past but often times do some pushing. I will be carrying a pack and we hope to camp at Caribou Cabins our first night then head into Fox cabin for the second night and do some additional exporing with the boys. Are there many bear on the trail in the spring.

Thanks again for all the information.

Default Biking with kids

We did not see any bears on the trail but we did see some up high through binoculars.

I took a group of young boy scouts on the first part of the trail last year and it raises some concerns with your group. The scouts ranged in age from 11 - 14 and all of the younger boys struggled on the trail. We only made it about 2-3 miles before one kid wiped out and need medical attention. My question for you is, Are you sure your 9 & 12 year old are ready for this big of a trip? I would suggest taking them on some long rides on some of the local bike paths to prepare for this trip. Once they are confident on the paved bike paths then take them on a ride on the Spencer loop so they can experience some trail riding. Good Luck!!

Last year they biked to Aspen Flats Cabin, which is over 11 miles I believe from the trail head, the first 4 miles are pretty easy. At mile 5 we jumped a sow and cub (brown), on they way out we had a black that would not get out of the trail, and a close encounter with a moose. I would guess the boys pushed their bikes 3+ miles on the way in and a little less on the way out (more down hill). They just carry their camel backs and between my wife and I we carry their gear but they seem to do very well, that said I appreciate the info, if we turn around we will turn around, I have the cabins reserved for the weekend but if they are that burned out we'll just come on out.

I'm sure they will have logged over 100 miles this year before the trip unless we still have snow on the ground for Memorial Weekend.

Thanks
    Last edited by AKFishOn; 02-08-2008 at 22:46. Reason: spelling