Thread: Deska Weir to be removed

Default Deska Weir to be removed

In an effort to save some money it looks like the coho will no longer be counted at the Deska.

I also found the part of the article about funding the Commercial Fisheries vs. the Sportfish division of F&G interesting.

http://www.adn.com/matsu/story/253288.html

Bad move....

I thought this was an interesting tidbit buried in that article...

According to Geron Bruce, an assistant director with commercial fisheries, about half the division's $57 million budget last year originated in the state general fund. The sportfisheries division, in contrast, expects about $2.4 million or about 5 percent of its proposed $48 million budget to come from the state general fund, according to Monica Wellard, a deputy director with the division.
    And they're worried about a pidly $55,000?
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

I found this interesting...

"Managers have yet to use the Deshka weir results to make changes during the fishing season"

Quote Originally Posted by Grampyfishes View Post

"Managers have yet to use the Deshka weir results to make changes during the fishing season"
    Perhaps that should be quoted in its full context

".... but Rutz said that's only because the department has not set goals for silver salmon returns in the Susitna drainage."

Besides, there's more value to the Deshka weir than just facilitating in-season management actions. Ongoing stock assessment comes to mind.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Default Why Close He Deshka Wier

WHY WOULD THE DEPARTMENT CLOSE DOWN THE WIER WHEN HEY ARE GETTING GOOD DATA, AND THEY KEEP SAYING THAT THAT DON'T HAVE ENOUGH INFORMATION TO MANAGE NORTHERN DISTRICT STOCKS. THERE IS NO DATA OR ESCAPEMENT GOALS ON CHUM SALMON WHICH USE TO BE THE LARGEST RETURNING SALMON IN THE NORTHERN DISTRICT. WHILE IN THE LOWER COOK INLET HAS MORE HAN 10 ON CHUM SALMON. QUESTIONS QUESTIONS YET NO ANSWERS
    Last edited by bigfisherman; 01-04-2008 at 01:54. Reason: MISSPELLING

WHY WOULD THE DEPARTMENT CLOSE DOWN THE WIER. . .
    It's a plot. . .

Default It ain' no plot or fable

The department says that they need the money that was being used for the coho data fo projects. we have gone to our valley Legislators to get the money to keep it open. If we don't get up to date data on salmon numbrers and genetic data on Cook Inet salmon we never will good sound salmon management. The Board of FISHRIES kee ayig that they need more data and current data to prpwey write management plans. If new updated data isn't collected and used; we never will have modern scientific

Default Its just politics

Nothing to do with fish.

State is under pressure to lower its budgets but our legislators don't have the courage to make cuts. So they throw some high visibility options out there. Public outcry sets the tone that its unacceptable to cut these high vis projects so nothing gets cut at all and we end up with bigger budgets.

Or it gets cut and a few years later gets added back in due to public demand.

This is easier than the other option of cutting a staff person or a low value projgram that would never be missed.

Thumbs down What kind of politics are we talking about?

It appears that we have some legislators that are involved in the commercial fishing industry that do not want things to change. So they lock up legislation that they donít like or remove monies from the budget that might clarify what is happing in their industry.
    I Cook Inlet the less new scientific data the better, it is time we stop letting the commercial fishing division from writing checks that the sports fishing division canít cover. So the consumptive users get shut down to help make up the shortage.
    Anyone one that is not interested is scientific salmon management that will protect the entire ecosystem of our steams and rivers. Have to be operating in the good old day or they are only interested in the dollars and a 90 day work year.

Please. The Deska weir has never been used to make management changes during the coho season. It's basically served as an indicator for sportsfishermen to determine when the fish are running, and as an in-river fish counter. BTW, weirs aren't exactly a "scientific" approach, and in fact there are some drawbacks to them. I'm not even going to address your "consumptive user" comments...commercial fishermen have given human beings the opportunity to consume salmon since the beginning of time.

Default Comsumptive Users Rely On Those Counts

1. TO ME A CONSUMPTIVE USER IS A PERSON THAT USES A SUBSISTANCE / PERSONAL USE P/U. NET OR A ROD AND REEL TO FILL THEIR FREEZERS. COMMERCIAL FISHERMEN THAT USES THE ABOVE ITEMS IS A CONSUMPTIVE USERS,OTHER WISE HE TAKES PART OF HIS OWN HARVEST HOME FOR HIS OWN USE. THE BOARD OF FISHERIES SAID THAT THEIR COMMERICAL HARVEST DID NOT EQUATE TO A COMSUMPTIVE USE FISH. THE YEAR THAT THEY RULED THAT COMMERCIAL FISHERS DID NOT HAVE TO CUT THE TAILS AS P/U FISHER HAS TO DO. IF I REMEMBER CORRECTLY THE COURTS HAS RULE THE COMMERCIAL FISHERMEN ARE IN A CLASS OF THEIR OWN. HOWEVER WE ALL HAVE A REQUIREMENT TO PTOTECT OUR RESOURCES.

Quote Originally Posted by bigfisherman
    THE BOARD OF FISHERIES SAID THAT THEIR COMMERICAL HARVEST DID NOT EQUATE TO A COMSUMPTIVE USE FISH.
    Can you please reference where the BOF said that?

As far as I know, commercial fishing is a consumptive use of the resource, and everyone who consumes a commercial caught fish is a consumptive user of that fishery. Subsistence and P/U fisheries just take consumptive use priority.

Default Which Board

I CAN'T REMEMBER WHICH BOARD BUT IT WAS DURING A BOARD THAT ENGLE AND WHITE WAS ON IF I REMEBER CORRECTLY. THERE WAS A PROPOSAL THAT WOULD OF REQUIRED THAT ALL FISHED NOT ENTER ON THE FISH TICKET WOULD HAVE TO HAVE THE TAILS CUT JUST LIKE P/U SALMON. BECASUE THEY WERE A COMMODITY THAT THEY COULD SELL OR WHAT EVER THEY WANTED.

sport fish has no money, untill we start fishing for UCI coho again we won't see good coho counts because Comm fish has most of the money
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

bigfishermen, commercial fishing is a consumptive use fishery. Period.

The reason P/U fish are marked is because the law says they can't be resold. If you're going to say the BOF has defined commercial fishing as a non-consumptive fishery, then you need to reference it, otherwise it's just more of the typical bull aimed against commercial fishermen. BTW, YOUR TYPING IN CAPS IS OBNOXIOUS.

APM, commercial fish has most of the money because that is where most of the management must occur. Even if you gave all of the money to the sports fishermen, they still could not manage the fish. And wouldn't you say, given the cannery buy price of coho and the costs of expenses to commercially fish them (fuel, etc), that cohos aren't even a viable commercial fishery in the UCI? For the most part, they aren't even fished.

Oh I know, all I'm saying is that to actually get data on UCI coho there would have to be a commercial fishery unless the status quo changes. I think sport fish (and wildlife) needs to be funded more especially in the southcentral region where sportfisheries can really really make a difference in the viability of the salmon run, or the trout fishery.

Default I have a question for all of you

How many of you have actually attended an advisory committee meeting or spent a few days at the BOFs meetings. I KNOW THAT IF MORE FOLKS THAT ENJOYING fishing WERE TO ATTEND THAT SPORTS FISHERS WOULD HAVE AN EASIER TIME OF GETTING THING CHANGE. At the last BOFs meeting three years ago there were only three people that spoke up for the Mat-Su waters. WE HAD OUR LUNCH HANDED TO US I A DRIFT NET BUNDLE. This time how about some of you tuening out and getting involved. Our legislators stood up for us and the money to do the studies that were just completed. They will stand up for us again if we stand up for salmon reources.

the almost unthought of triple post! lol