Thread: PMC brass v. Federal/Remington/Winchester

Default PMC brass v. Federal/Remington/Winchester

Counted up my .30-06 empties last night and found that I actually have over 300 rounds that I've saved up over the last year or so (can't find my BIG stash... must've lost it in the move). About 60 rounds are the cheap PMC stuff with the discolored looking necks on them... so I have a couple of questions:

In reloading this mixed pile of brass...

1) I will separate by brand, but since there is no way to separate by lot, should I also separate by case capacity (fill with water and weigh them)? Yes, I'm a newb... all new equipment, zero experience.

2) I'm assuming that loads should be worked up separately for each brand of brass. I will set aside most of the (once-fired) brass and stick with one brand until it's ready for the trash bin. Then I will change brands and start anew (reduce loads by 10%, get the chrony out etc.) Comments?

3) Are those brass PMC rounds ($11/box stuff) any good or should I toss them? I have no idea how their case capacity varies (an indirect measure of how thick the brass is) or if there is a lot of case to case variation, or if the discolored (looks like 'heat' discoloration ...right from the factory) necks mean anything or not. I suspect these are Remington brass cases but they might not be built to the same specs? Comments? Toss'm or use'm?

Thanks,
    Brian

The discolored necks are nothing more than a change in brass color showing the neck was annealed. This is not a defect.

I would separate by brand and if you have an electronic scale I would weigh the cases and toss out the highest and lowest weights just to maintain some type of average. For hunting loads it doesnt seem to make a good deal of difference.

But if it were me I would pick the brand I had the most of and work up a hunting load and then save this brass for hunting only. Then I would load up a lighter practice load and use the rest of the different brass for this till they could not be loaded anymore. 50 cases used only for sighting in and hunting can last a fellow a decade or more.
    Tennessee

Randy has given you good advise. My only comment would be to size and trim before weighing/sorting. You may discover there is little difference. J

Something else that I would do after sizing and trimming would be to ream the flasholes prior to weighing. Not an absolutely necessary step, but will help more than possibly hinder accuracy. Other than that, I'd have to agree with the previous two posts.
    NRA Life Member, Prior F-16 crew chief.

Default Brass

I agree, but would add winchester has the most case capacity, followed by federal, then remington. This has just been my experience by weighing different lots of 30-06 brass. The PMC would go in the trash.

Quote Originally Posted by TomM View Post
    I agree, but would add winchester has the most case capacity, followed by federal, then remington. This has just been my experience by weighing different lots of 30-06 brass. The PMC would go in the trash.
    You guys are great and I appreciate the advice. I'll get all the cases ready for reloading (and trimmed) and then sort by brand, then by weight ...even if just to toss the outliers. I'll save 50 or 100 either Remington or Federal (I don't have much if any Winchester) for working up hunting loads and use the rest for the NRA marksmanship qualification program that a friend and I are doing. Since these are lighter loads anyway (lower risk of failure), I'll go ahead and try the PMCs for these rounds too ...but toss them if they seem to have problems of any kind. I'm kind of wondering how they'll measure up when I weigh them. Should be fun.

Brian

Thumbs down PMC Brass

PMC brass...I had no luck with them....necks very weak!

Quote Originally Posted by alaska bush man View Post
    PMC brass...I had no luck with them....necks very weak!
    Figures ...I have plenty of brass so I think I'll just toss the PMC stuff as others have mentioned.

Brian

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Back before I knew any better………lets see, that must have been the day before yesterday……………anyway, I loaded all kinds of mixed brass for my 30-06 and 375 H&H for practice rounds. Never trimmed them, didn’t de-burr nothing, never even cleaned them including the primer pocket! Just knocked out the old primers, smooshed them thru the sizing die and re-loaded for another trip to the range. Now, was this bench rest accuracy ammunition, assembled with the greatest of care designed to shoot sub minute of angle?……………….ahhhh, Nope. But it would, from both rifles, with plain Jane Hornady bullets, put three into an inch and a half, not every time, but more often than not, and my records and old targets show that none of the groups shot with that haphazardly loaded ammo shot worse than a two and a half inch, three shot groups at a hundred yards. I even have one target from the 375 with a note on it that each shot was a different head stamp case and it was an unbelievable 3 hole clover leaf that you could cover with a nickel………….must have been a lucky day, cause I aint got many that look like that!!
    I guess my point is this; for working up loads and practice, I just don’t think a bunch of case prep and attention to detail is really worth the time and effort for the small amount of accuracy gained. Now, once you have your load ready for the final “tweeking” and are ready to load up your real deal hunting loads, then I go ALL the way and buy the best brass I can get my hands on locally, trim and de-burr and clean and polish etc. I don’t go so far as to segregate by weight, or ream the primer pockets for consistent depth, but I do take great care to limit my variables without going crazy and spending three or four days on case prep. But once I have the load down, I will load up a couple of hundred cases and that will be that for a few years.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio