Thread: Northfork Bullets

Default Northfork Bullets

If you like these bullets better lay in a supply while you can as they just announced they are closing the shop.
    Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    If you like these bullets better lay in a supply while you can as they just announced they are closing the shop.

Wow! That's not good news. Did they give a date?
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

whoaaaaaa! that is not good! thanks for the tip. will see if I can make an order tomorrow.

No word of the closing date. From the posts I read on the AR forum it appears the shop has already closed.
    Tennessee

There's no mention of it on their site. I am doubtful and hope it isn't true, they make a fine hunting bullet and I was relying on their 360 .411" diameter for an up coming wildcat.

For some reason I think this company is affiliated with Z-hat custom guns and that gives me further reason to doubt. Has anyone seen an "official" notice by the company or the industry?
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

This thread seems valid but I certaintly can not confirm any of the information:
    http://forums.accuratereloading.com/...43/m/967105887

A call to Northfork can confirm or deny.
    Tennessee

I just got off the phone with Mike of North Fork Bullets. He is going out of business. He is essentially out now. He is filling some orders for bullets sold back in December but that's it. I didn't ask him if he would make some for me if I sent an order but I think he would. I will talk to him again soon.

We mainly talked about his marvelous bullet design and the way it is made. We also talked about his shop and machinery. His CNC turning center which makes the bullet and drills the core hole so precisely is for sale, along with all the rest of his equipment. This includes the bullet press and his annealing furnace used to soften the copper alloy to just the right BHN.

These bullets are turned from a highly ductile solid copper alloy rod of appropriate diameter and the core cavity is bored in the nose. Then the grooves are turned into the shank until just the right bullet weight is obtained. The lead core is bonded in and the bullet is then pressed to its final nose shape. North Fork Bullets is essentially a one man shop and this is one big reason why he's able to maintain such a high degree of quality and accuracy in dimensions of these bullets.

If a group of us were to place an order with him we may be able to get him to make a few more before he shuts the lights off. He did say he has only some .458" bullets in stock. His website is still up if you want to see what is available. I will say he has one of the best web sites in the industry and it is very educational. It represents an enormous amount of work and expense in the development and testing of North Fork bullets. I have done a lot of load development and bullet performance testing and I know it to be a lot of work and expense.

Mike was turning grooves in the solid copper shank of his bullets long before Barnes began making the TSX. His design is similar to the Trophy Bonded Bearclaw bullets with the addition of the grooves and better shank/jacket material. Better in that it is more ductile, more elastic and will allow the nose section to expand yet still stay intact. This insures creating a more uniform bullet expansion (mushroom) and a much more effective wound cavity for a sure, quick kill. These are some of the very best bullets in the world. They have the most consistant performance, across the spectrum of bullet diameter, weight and velocity, of any bullet I've ever used.

I'd like to buy the company. At the very least I'd like to see his bullet design survive and these bullets continue to be made. Anyone any good with a CNC machine? I'm not sure what it would take to take over and keep the operation going but I'd like to see it happen.

Murphy,

I would like to make an order as well. How do you figure in rustling up enough here in the forums to make it worth Mikes time or will he even do it at all even though we get a substantial order together?

Quote Originally Posted by grizz106 View Post
    Murphy,

I would like to make an order as well. How do you figure in rustling up enough here in the forums to make it worth Mikes time or will he even do it at all even though we get a substantial order together?

Tim,

I called Mike back and left a voice mail with him. I posed the question of making some more bullets for a few of us. It would be different calibers and each would be a different set up for his CNC machine so it may be more than he want's to get into. He sounded a little burned out on bullet making and we'll have to respect his position what ever it is.

Well, he just called me back in the middle of this and said he could make 300 grain 375's and 370 grain 416's and that is all. He has some tooling and set up issues for other calibers. I asked about .411's and 423's and he said that tooling was dull. He will make a minimum of 10 boxes each of the 370 grain 416 and 300 grain 375's if we get the order to him quickly. He will be closed by the end of January having other commitments in February. The ten boxes is just to justify the set up of the machine, they could go to different customers. We could each get a box or two as needed. I'd like to give him an answer soon and will contact other forums where this was also tossed around.

Well I see a .416 something or rather in my near future then, so it will be a couple of boxes or more of the 370grn.-I can either mail him the monies now or wait or............

thank you Murphy

Murphy,
    I would take a box of the 416 if you can get a order together. Just let me know where to send the money and how much they are for a box.

so that is at least 3 boxes thus far. anymore takers?

Thumbs up

I would like a box of 300 grain .375.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastwoods
    I would like a box of 300 grain .375.

Looks like no .375 bullets? Any other takers?

Default 416 370 grains..

I think I have four of us who want the 416's. I'll call Monday or Tuesday and get that started, if NF is still in the mood. I'll update after I talk to Mike.