Thread: Two for 'Bou--Help Help!

Red face Two for 'Bou--Help Help!

My hunting partner and I are planning a 2008 Caribou hunt in Alaska. Strongly considering Unit 23. We are no strangers to the big woods or tundra but could use some guidance. We usually Hunt/Camp for two-three weeks. We're undecided on whether to drop camp or float, leaning toward a float hunt. Our idea is to float and set up camp midday and hunt early and late. Sorry to hear that the limit for nonresidents was reduced to one Caribou but so be it. Since the limit has been reduced would a combo hunt be practicable (Caribou/Moose)? Do these two inhabit the same areas in Unit 23? I've tried to make contact with Mavrik Aire but no luck. I wonder what's going on with them. Their website is down but the phone still rings. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Default Try Walt....

at Northwestalaska, he posts regularly on this forum and knows that area very well, and offers both float and drop hunts.

Also contact Larry Bartlett at Pristine Ventures, he can give you all the info you would need for either hunt.

Default ditto

Yea, agreed on Walt, he is an stand up guy... We did a major hunt/float combo kind of thing this last fall in unit 23, we flew in with northwestern aviation... in my 23 years of hunting Alaska I have never been more impressed with an air taxi!! honest, safe, knows the area, good rates... you can see their website here:

http://www.alaskaonyourown.com/index.html

Greg

Default GMU 23 Recommendations, etc.

I would agree with the others concerning Walt's operation. He's a class act and will take care of you well. There's nobody else I would recommend over him in terms of a local. This will also save you a lot of money, because he has the gear right there in Kotzebue.

You might also consider Joe Jackson. He runs an outfit called Wild Kobuk River Runners, down on the Kobuk River. Some good hunting in there, and Joe can get you on it. I've known him many years and I feel so strongly about the quality of his operation that I asked him to take an ad out in my float hunting book.

I sent you some other ideas on a pm.

Regards,

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Mavrik got into some trouble and are no more. We went out w/ Nortern Air Ventures this year and they were trying to help some people who booked with Mavrik and got stranded.
    You will have to draw for moose.

Look into flying out of Bettles. You can get into unit 26 or northeastern 23 from there, both with likely good bou numbers during the normal fall season.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Good advice, fly into Bettles from Fairbanks and then into 23/26 using BRA, thats what we did last fall.

Thanks for the replys.
    AKHunter45 I'm not exactly sure who BRA is.
    I've been looking into flying into Beetles. I haven't heard anyone say anything about GMU 24 or GMU 25. I have even looked into flying into Fort Yukon from Fairbanks and then on into GMU 25. I was wondering if anyone has 'Bou/Moose hunted in either of these two Units and could comment on populations, success or pitfalls to avoid.
    Mike, I had planned to give you a call in a few weeks after I had done some more research or at lease enough to hold a half way intelligent conversation. Thanks for the PM.

Twobears53

Default Interesting-

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkman View Post
    Mavrik got into some trouble and are no more. We went out w/ Nortern Air Ventures this year and they were trying to help some people who booked with Mavrik and got stranded.
    You will have to draw for moose.
    If true, this reinforces one reason to go with a planning service that has local knowledge, or who has solid connections with reputable operators. No axe to grind here, but there are many unscrupulous operators out there who are primarily interested in your money. Well, all of them are interested in your money, but a few will compromise the quality of their product to get it.

The companies recommended will not do that to you. As a result, they will likely be around longer than the rest.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.

Default Stranded

Mike the only reason I was trying to contact Mavrik Aire was I had found their website two years ago when planning our moose hunt. I never did any business with them and don't even remember exactly how much contact I had with them. I still had their contact information.
    We had a successful moose hunt. 59 1/2 in. 4 X 3 brow tines. Should have had two but we didn't want to have two on the ground at the same time.
    Really enjoyed our 2 1/2 week tent camp and river run. The only problem was we harvested the moose 1/2 way through our stay and it was warm. We kept the meat in good shape, bagged, hung, dry and shaded. I heard our plane in the area, servicing other hunters (the radial engine in a beaver makes a distinctive sound), and I called the pilot on my hand held aviation radio, he stopped by and picked the meat up. Most of the meat we wanted donated and part of the meat we kept for ourselves. The pilot commented on how clean and fresh the meat looked and smelled. When our hunt was over we found our that the transporter had not kept the meat cool or found any refrigeration services for our portion. We wound up having to cut away the bad part and throw it away which was about 1/4 of it. Such a waste.
    Since it is required for hunters to remove all edible meat from the field (which is a very good thing) it seems it should be a requirement for folks transporting hunters to make available or know who in the area could provide refrigeration for that meat.
    By the way I'll be looking for your book also.

Twobears53

Quote Originally Posted by Twobears53 View Post
    When our hunt was over we found our that the transporter had not kept the meat cool or found any refrigeration services for our portion. We wound up having to cut away the bad part and throw it away which was about 1/4 of it. Such a waste.
    Since it is required for hunters to remove all edible meat from the field (which is a very good thing) it seems it should be a requirement for folks transporting hunters to make available or know who in the area could provide refrigeration for that meat.
    By the way I'll be looking for your book also.

Twobears53
    From what I've learned and I'm new at this, that is one of your responsibilities and that you can't count on anyone. If you are going to have a meat pick up you need to make the arrangements yourself for keeping of the meat. Some of the larger services have cold storage available. I used Wrights out of Fairbanks and they have it, but I had also made arrangements for someone to come pick it up from them and to transport it to a processor. I had everyones phone numbers with me and made sure that ereryone in my chain of custody was expecting phones calls and they all had each others numbers. This may have been a little over board, I guess that the Marine in me. A lot of that kind of advice came from the members of this forum and with their help we had a very successful hunt and my wife and I brought back 2 bou with no loose and ours were taken on the 1st legal day of hunting. I was planning a combo moose/bou hunt myself but quickly realized that the water level was way to low and out raft was way to small to attempt that. If you are renting, make sure of what you are getting will handle the weight and then some.

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post
    From what I've learned and I'm new at this, that is one of your responsibilities and that you can't count on anyone. If you are going to have a meat pick up you need to make the arrangements yourself for keeping of the meat. ...
    Tom is 100% correct. Never assume anyone is going to do anything unless you've discussed it with them specifically and have made arrangements. Usually this will mean an additional cost.

The simplest way is to pay your charter operator to drop it off at an air cargo facility and get it shipped to Anchorage or Fairbanks where it can be held at the freight company's cold storage facility. But most hunters are not aware of this, or unwilling to pay for it.

There are ways to work around these issues.

Regards,

-Mike

bra, brooks range aviation Jay and Judy Jasperson

Default Caribou Migration in Sept.

Hey All,
    I was wondering if anyone knew how far South the Caribou had progressed into Unit 24 during September. Or are they all pretty much still in Unit 26?
    Thanks,
    Twobears53

Default twobears

I am not sure about unit 24 but the WACH herd (depending on weather) works into and through unit 23 from early Sept and start breaking south to Buckland Alaska in early October. In the past 4 years this has happened later by about 7-9 days. I use to do my hunting Sept 9-14 but I now hunt closer to Sept 20 because the animals are slow to come over the Brooks Range. We send our clients who are hunting in early Sept. up higher in the Noatak Nat. Preserve and they catch the herd movement coming over the Brooks and they do very well. The largest bulls taken with my groups in 07 came early and up high in the Noatak River drainages.

I hope that this helps; shot me a PM is you have any other questions that I can assist with.

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Backcountry Rentals
    Your best bet in Rafts and camp rentals
    www.northwestalaska.com
    Kotzebue, Alaska
    33 miles north of the Arctic Circle