Thread: Craig/ Klawock

Default Craig/ Klawock

Trying a new (to me) area this year, Craig. We've been going to Alaska for the last 10 years (Sitka, Kenai, Valdez) and love ocean fishing for silvers and halibut. Everything I've read looks great for mid August in this area. Planning on checking out Ketchikan while we are there, especially because we have an extra day there due to working out plane connections. Looking to hear about any experiences, good or bad, and any tips on things to see, avoid, or check out.

P.O.W. in itself is a pretty cool island. Lots of things to do there, granted you are an outdoors person. There are plenty of driveable roads (more than anywhere else down here, I think?) I think you can drive from Craig all the way to Thorne Bay, which is pretty cool also. Plenty o' streams and plenty o' ocean fishing. If you are planning on hunting, black bear hunting down there is second to none as well. Ketchikan is a good little town as well. Hit up the salmon chowder at Annabelles, it's pretty awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by epw View Post
    P There are plenty of driveable roads (more than anywhere else down here, I think?) I think you can drive from Craig all the way to Thorne Bay, which is pretty cool also.
    You actually can drive way past Thorne Bay almost to the most northern part of the island.

kingfisherktn

Did Kasaan ever get connected on the POW road system? Any sign of the old boardwalk villiage and the long-house and totem park, or did Covilco distribute their annuities as dividends and turn the place modern? I was thinking of planning a trip down there this summer, but I've not been in that village since '79...

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Default CCC

I believe Kasaan is now connected by road. They also brought logging up fairly close to Old Kasaan and I don't think anything was touched in that area. (It's been about 5 years since I been there).

Default Kasaan

It's a very rough road. I think you will find the place pretty much the same as you left it. I was working there when APL (Alaska Pacific Logging) was busy. I remember destroying two tires while driving my service truck out the Kasaan road, both on the same trip. I was told it's possible to drive from Kasaan all the way to Lyman Anchorage on logging roads. It was something like a 2 hour trip. It's probably gated or blocked off at this time.

I just talked to my son, he drove to Kasaan last year and said the road was wide open and in good condition.

kingfisherktn

Default Kasaan

I just talked to a friend of mine who used to work for Rayonier and he said when they broke up with Kavilco in 2001, part of the deal was that all the bridges and culverts were removed. That included Smith Cove and

Default Kasaan

I just talked to a friend of mine who used to work for Rayonier and he said when they broke up with Kavilco in 2001, part of the deal was that all the bridges and culverts were removed. That included Smith Cove. So I guess that means no more driving to Lyman. There are some nice views of Skowl Arm and Kassan Bay on top. I worked at Lyman when Columbia Helicopters was logging. The Columbia camp was a Sealy barge. They had a Vertol 007 "flying banana" and some new Komatsu shovels with Young fronts. I was out there doing warranty work for Komatsu. Shortly before, APL accidently blew up a Cat 350L hoe with explosives trying to get it out of a collapsed rock pit. That's another story.

Default Coaldust

Just to confirm, they went to new Kasaan where the houses and dock is located.

kingfisherktn

Default Dock

I was sitting on that dock one quiet spring afternoon waiting for Taquan to show up with some parts and the water started boiling like crazy near the shore. I walked over to investigate and there was a huge school of dollies feeding on something. It startled me at first since it was so calm and peacefull. My fishing pole was back at camp. I like the Kassan area. There is also an old copper mine in the area that is great to explore. Can't think of the name at the moment.

Wink Craig

Appreciate the info on POW island. Any more info on the fishing? Mostly interested in ocean fishing for silvers and halibut, but easy access to good stream fishing would be good to know.

there are lots of different opportunities in Craig. are you looking for guided unguided river ocean. do you have a price limit. there are lots of good lodges around there there is a boat rental river access is pretty easy and good fishing.send me a pm and i can tell you the names of the lodges there and you can chack them out on the web or call them.

Default river fishing

I am also looking to go over there this summer except I am more interested in river fishing. does anyone have any info that might help me plan my trip?
    thanks for any help

Default River Fishing

Trapperdan,

It's wide open. Most every flowing stream on the road system will be chuck full of humpies and dogs from mid July on. There are a couple of places where you can catch sockeye such as the Karta, but it's not on the road system. Gravelly Creek near Thorne Bay is a nice place to fish and there is a Forest Service campground nearby.

One of my favorite places to fish is the Thorne River in April for giant cutthroat.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Sloka View Post
    Appreciate the info on POW island. Any more info on the fishing? Mostly interested in ocean fishing for silvers and halibut, but easy access to good stream fishing would be good to know.
    the ocean fishing is exlent, the rivers are easy to get to the time of year you are going. there should be lots of fish in the river and the coho fishing should be in full swing in the ocean. the halibut fishing is best at that time of year. but the king fishing may be slow.

thanks for the info coaldust! do you know what time of the year steelhead run in that area and what creeks are worth fishing in for steelhead?

thanks again for the help

Default Steelies

trapperdan,

The Thorne is well known for it's steehead. Funny thing, since KPC pulled out of Thorne Bay, it seems like everyone turned their houses into B&B's and/or became fishing guides to survive. Late March and April is prime time, but it's tough fishing that time of year due to the weather. The runs are unpredicatable and unless you are there all the time, it can be hard to hit it just right.

The Klawock River is a popular place for steelhead fishing and the river is easier to access. Some of the best holes are along the highway by the A&P. Catch a nice steelhead and then walk to the A&P for a coffee (or adult beverage). Lots of bears fishing,too.... Good times! Klawock has a hatchery, so these will mostly be hatchery fish and the regs are always and ever changing.

My advice for lots of action and better weather would be to skip steelhead and focus on salmon later in the season. It's so easy in the spring to have a stretch of bad weather and be cabin bound your whole trip. It's hard to cast in sideways rain and 40 mph winds. LOL