Thread: possible end to nonres Kotz 'bou huntin??

Question possible end to nonres Kotz 'bou huntin??

I heard from a guy at Cabelas that he heard from someone at the Alaska pro guides assn that the state legislature is considering severe changes to the caribou regs for the NW Al. caribou herd. Possibly as severe as eliminating non-res hunting all together. Anybody else heard that at all??
    Bruce

The state legislature usually doesn't make the hunting regulations, the game board does. Most of the Kotz hunting is the Western Arctic Herd, not sure where, if anywhere, the NW Al herd is but I'll look. They did make changes to the season in GMU 23 this year, resident bag limit is two caribou total instead of five as in previous years.

Bill, the NON res bag limit is 2. Res is still 5 per day. The BoG won't meet to consider unit 23 seasons again, until nov-07. Barring unforeseen DRASTIC circumstances.........caribou will be open to non res for the next 2 hunting seasons. Likely will be open for much longer than that.
    Getting info from Cabelas on Alaska hunting is less than reliable.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Default Bruce

Did you ever get that hunt booked? who did you go with?
    Justin

Who did you talk to at Cabela's? I know a guy there and he heard the same thing from his outfitter in Alaska.

MT, I fumble fingered the response. Your are correct and that is exactly what I meant, just typed the wrong thing. Sorry for the confusion Bruce. The Board of Game does consider each GMU every two years unless something happens to casue them to consider it sooner, as in GMU 17 and 19. The bag limit changed for 2005-2006 and again for 2006-2007.

Default havent booked yet

Justin, I haven't booked yet. Was going to go with Ram Aviation but now he says his price may go up by $400 and if it does so after I book he will not let me cancel.....

Yooper, I don't remember which guy told me that. I talked to several.

Thanks all
    Bruce

I have also heard , mostly on this board, that the natives are very restless up there, especially about 'bou hunting. Thought mybe they could put enough pressure on the state to close it to non-res hunters.
    Bruce

What they are getting upset about and rightly so, is the number of nonresidents that dump their meat in the local dumpsters, letting it go to waste. Once the non residents find out the cost of shipping meat, they dump it instead of pursuing other alternatives. Northern Air Cargo use to ship meat back if it was donated to the Food Bank for free but I'm not sure if they are still doing it. MT probably knows more aobut the problem.

I had a buddy do that hunt last year and he and the other guys in his party were able to donate their meat with no problems. What they saw happening was some folks dumping their meat after it sat too long waiting for pickup or something and it was spoiling. There's no excuse for wanton waste though and I won't make any excuses for those that do that.

Crappy thing was that my buddy had his antlers stolen too. Nice rack, too bad all he got were memories and two pictures.

Yooper and BruceB........ain't gonna happen. Whoever your Cabelas guys are talking to has their head up their........ummmmmm........you know where. Don't take my word for it tho. Call ADF&G. You can call Jim Dau in Kotz, or call his regional director in Anch, Steve Machida.
    Our legislature isn't even in session again (not counting special sessions for gasline BS) until next Jan.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!