Thread: Cabin questions

Default Cabin questions

hey guys I was hoping some of yall could chime in and give some of yalls experience with renting some the alaska's remote cabins. I'm looking for a cabin that has both hunting (bear) and fishing opportunities. I'm interested in looking to rent a cabin that is located in the south or southeast. The reason I'm looking for yalls advice is bc I'm tyring to put together a trip for my dad and brother for when they come up this summer. Any advice or shared stories is appreciated

Thanks,

Richie

Default Forest Service Cabins

I'm planning on this being a 7 day hunt around the June/July time frame. The main focus of this hunt would be for my dad/brother to be able to shoot a bear...doesn't matter if its black or a brown.

Thanks

Unhappy Cabin Rental

Richie
    Alaska has some strange interpitations of private property rights in regard to renting cabins to big game hunters. If a cabin is located in the "feild" meaning away from perminate bussinesses or dwellings " associated" with a city town or village it can only be rented by a guide or a transporter who owns the cabin and provides the transportation to the cabin.
    Strangly the State and Feds have many public use cabins that are available for any use.
    Stranger yet it is the cabin owner who is responcable for the activities of the rentor.
    So if your looking for a private cabin in the woods to hunt from BE CAREFUL!

support HB 165
    http://www.legis.state.ak.us/basis/g...165&session=25

go here for a little more
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...7667#post47667

thanks for the post...sent you a pm...has anyone run into any legal problems renting FS cabins and hunting out of them?

Richie

I suppose some of the confusion in this thread is that the thread was started in Alaska Cabins and Remote Living catagory. I think you are trying to ask for input on forest service or other public cabins, renting them, and fishing/hunting from them. You might do best to post this in the fishing or hunting catagory as I think most of the discussion in this category is about a privately owned setup which there are rules on as linked to above. Also make sure you check the regs for June and July and anything past the first week or two of June in my opinion and you will be working hard to find a good rug.

*Kah Sheets Bay*, Anything on Admiralty Island (lots o cabins over there), Anything on Kuiu Island would be outstanding for bear hunting. Other than Portage Bay Cabin, I dont think there is anything on Kupereanof Island, but there is outstanding bear hunting over there. Dont know about the regs, but it easy enough to check.

Talking

Richie
    Stayed in a Forest Service cabin on the Situk River out of Yakutat (Ravens Cabin) a couple of years ago on a fishing trip. Quite well appointed and would sleep 5 and had an oil heater/stove. Not sure about hunting regs in the area but there was allot of evidence the it had been used to hunt out of. Cabin is accessible by boat or plane and has a shed for dressing game.

TL

Question howdy

Where are you located richie?