Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Carry in Denali?

Default Carry in Denali?

Just wondering about why Denali National Park does not allow you to carry a firearm inside the park. If Alaska is a concealed carry state, why not the park? My wife and I have hiked quite deep into the park and I always feel quite vulnerable. I never go out without either my .45 or .357 anywhere else. Just curious as to how they consider that you are much safer inside the park than outside. Do they not realize you become a part of the food chain and not necessarily at the top?

Cinak

You can not carry in any national park, which is why I will not set foot in one! Apparently the feds can not even follow there own rules see the much tattered and abused constitution specifically the second amendment. I write several letters of protest every spring but they situation shows no sign of changing.

A suggestion try the Denali hwy area just as beautiful a lot less people and you can do as you please without a governmental colonoscopy or having to fill out pages of paperwork before hitting the trail.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Quote Originally Posted by Cinak View Post
    Just wondering about why Denali National Park does not allow you to carry a firearm inside the park. If Alaska is a concealed carry state, why not the park? My wife and I have hiked quite deep into the park and I always feel quite vulnerable. I never go out without either my .45 or .357 anywhere else. Just curious as to how they consider that you are much safer inside the park than outside. Do they not realize you become a part of the food chain and not necessarily at the top?

Not picken nits but I think it is loaded firearms? If the court rules in
    gun owners favor that federal law should be gone immediately!
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Rick P View Post
    Cinak

You can not carry in any national park, which is why I will not set foot in one! Apparently the feds can not even follow there own rules see the much tattered and abused constitution specifically the second amendment. I write several letters of protest every spring but they situation shows no sign of changing.

A suggestion try the Denali hwy area just as beautiful a lot less people and you can do as you please without a governmental colonoscopy or having to fill out pages of paperwork before hitting the trail.

I'm with you on this one! I don't set foot in Denali. I been there, took the tour that was enough.

Personally,
    I don't fit in with hippies, animal right activists and people that don't speak english. That's Denali in a nutshell.
    Combat Vet by choice! Defender of this great nation and people (Which unfortunately also includes the stupid and the ignorant.)

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:_R_ZqAiK-e_U0M:<a href=http://hometeamsonline.com/photos/hockey/ARCTICLIONS/Ice_Puppies_Logo_Light_with_shading.jpg target=_blank rel=nofollow>http://hometeamsonline.com/photos/ho...th_shading.jpg</a>

Support Youth Hockey!
    http://www.hometeamsonline.com/teams...Y&s=hockey&t=c

Default Federal Property...

Basically Denali is federal U.S.A. property, not Alaska state property so federal laws apply. The same thing applies in other states with federal parks. Another point: you can carry in Alaska but once you go into a post office or other federal property with a firearm, loaded or not, your gun rights basically don't exist and you have committed a felony. That's why I think we need a national right to carry law that applies everywhere in the USA.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Default There is an effort afoot, to change that.

The reason that firearms are restricted in National Parks is that they are protecting the animals, and could care less about YOUR safety. Apparently, these restrictions are different in each park.

According to a recent article in the Anchorage Daily Worker, a group of National legislators, including Ted Stevens, are trying to get the Park Service to change their regulations and Allow people to carry firearms in National Parks for protection. I hope the effort succeeds.

I'm sorry, I don't remember which day, or which section of the paper it was in.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Here is a link to the letter and the text of the letter:

http://www.nraila.org/Media/PDFs/kempthorne_ltr.pdf

United States Senate
    WASHINGTON, DC 20510

December 14, 2007

The Honorable Dirk Kempthorne
    Secretary
    Department of the Interior
    1849 C Street, NW.
    Washington DC 20240

Dear Secretary Kempthorne:

We write today concerning a longstanding effort to have the National
    Park
    Service and the Fish and Wildlife Service remove their prohibitions on
    law-abiding citizens from transporting and carrying firearms on lands
    managed by these agencies.
    We appeal to you on this matter in the interest of Second Amendment
    rights
    and consistency in
    firearms policy across federal public land management agencies.

As you know, 36 CFR 2.4, applicable to the National Park Service, and
    50 CFR
    27.42, applicable to the Fish and Wildlife Service, prohibits
    individuals
    from possessing a firearm on lands managed by those agencies - even
    citizens
    with valid concealed weapons permits.

These regulations infringe on the rights of law-abiding gun owners, who
    wish
    to transport and carry firearms on or across these lands. Also, you
    will
    note that other federal land management agencies, such as the Bureau of
    Land
    Management and the Forest Service allow transporting and carrying of
    firearms on these lands in accordance with the laws of the host state.
    These
    inconsistencies in firearms regulations for public lands are confusing,
    burdensome, and unnecessary.

For these reasons, we support an exception to 36 CFR 2.4 and 50 CFR
    27.42 to
    allow law-abiding citizens to transport and carry firearms consistent
    with
    state law where the National Park Service's sites and the National
    Wildlife
    Refuges are located. Such regulatory changes would respect the Second
    Amendment rights of law-abiding gun owners, while providing a
    consistent
    application of state weapons laws across all land ownership boundaries.

We appreciate the opportunity to share our concerns with you. Please
    treat
    this letter in
    conformance with all applicable procedural rules and ethical
    guidelines.

Sincerely,

Senator Mike Crapo

Senator Max Baucus

Senator Larry Craig

Senator Tim Johnson

Senator Jim Inhofe

Senator Jon Tester

Senator David Vitter

Senator Mark Pryor

Senator Gordon Smith

Senator Blanche Lincoln

Senator Orrin Hatch

Senator Byron Dorgan

Senator Norm Coleman

Senator Ben Nelson

Senator Tom Coburn

Senator Jim Webb

Senator Judd Gregg

Senator Lisa Murkowski

Senator John Ensign

Senator John Sununu

Senator Ted Stevens

Senator Robert Bennett

Senator Saxby Chambliss

Senator Thad Cochran

Senator Johnny Isakson

Senator John Bunning

Senator Wayne Allard

Senator John Thune

Senator Chuck Grassley

Senator Bob Corker

Senator Trent Lott

Senator Kay Bailey Hutchison

Senator Pat Roberts

Senator Mel Martinez

Senator John Cornyn

Senator Richard Shelby

Senator Chuck Hagel

Senator Lindsey Graham

Senator Elizabeth Dole

Senator Mike Enzi

Senator John McCain

Senator John Barrasso

Senator Sam Brownback

Senator Pete Domenici

Senitor Jim DeMint

Senator Jeff Sessions

Senator Jon Kyl

Quote Originally Posted by Rick P View Post

You can not carry in any national park, which is why I will not set foot in one!

It is legal to carry firearms in several of AK's national parks including Kenai Fjords, Wrangell-St. Ellias and Gates of the Arctic.

What they dont know wont hurt them!

All,
    I'm writing this a.m. from my desk at the National Park Service. As with many things federal, the situation at Denali is a little more complicated that it first appears.

For the "old" Alaska parks, the rules are like they are in the Lower 48. Firearms are illegal, but may be carried into or through the park if they are unloaded, cased and stored out of view (like in the trunk of a car). This applies in about one-third of Denali (roughly the road corridor, visitor centers and the congressionally designated wilderness), a total of about 2 million acres. It also applies in the portions of Glacier Bay and Katmai established before 1980, and the small historical parks in Sitka and Skagway.

In the 4 million acres of Denali established in 1980, and in the additions to Katmai and Glacier Bay, and in the 10 "new" NPS units established at the same time (through the Alaska Lands Act), firearms are legal to carry. Loaded, operational, in your hands, etc. This is true even though some of them share the "national park" designation.

In about 21 million acres (out of a total of 54 million acres managed by the NPS) sport hunting under state law is legal. These are the national preserves. They may be stand-alone preserves (such as the Noatak) or a preserve managed with an adjacent national park (such as Denali's 1.3 million acre preserve).

And in many of the "new" national parks, subsistence hunting is allowed.

Not to start a new string of commentary, but iIn any of the NPS Alaska units, it is OK to carry bear spray.

The above information, and some additional details, are in a brochure at this address: http://www.nps.gov/aplic/firearms.pdf While this covers most situations, we recommend that if you're not sure of the rules for the area in which you're thinking about hunting or carrying a firearm, give a call to the local NPS unit and ask. You can pm me for contact info, or go to the "find a park" function on nps.gov

John Quinley

I stay away from Nazi Park Circus lands for that very reason.
    Now what ?

Thanks for the info John.

Perry

Quote Originally Posted by toofewweekends View Post
    All,
    I'm writing this a.m. from my desk at the National Park Service. As with many things federal, the situation at Denali is a little more complicated that it first appears.

For the "old" Alaska parks, the rules are like they are in the Lower 48. Firearms are illegal, but may be carried into or through the park if they are unloaded, cased and stored out of view (like in the trunk of a car). This applies in about one-third of Denali (roughly the road corridor, visitor centers and the congressionally designated wilderness), a total of about 2 million acres. It also applies in the portions of Glacier Bay and Katmai established before 1980, and the small historical parks in Sitka and Skagway.

In the 4 million acres of Denali established in 1980, and in the additions to Katmai and Glacier Bay, and in the 10 "new" NPS units established at the same time (through the Alaska Lands Act), firearms are legal to carry. Loaded, operational, in your hands, etc. This is true even though some of them share the "national park" designation.

In about 21 million acres (out of a total of 54 million acres managed by the NPS) sport hunting under state law is legal. These are the national preserves. They may be stand-alone preserves (such as the Noatak) or a preserve managed with an adjacent national park (such as Denali's 1.3 million acre preserve).

Not to start a new string of commentary, but iIn any of the NPS Alaska units, it is OK to carry bear spray.

The above information, and some additional details, are in a brochure at this address: http://www.nps.gov/aplic/firearms.pdf While this covers most situations, we recommend that if you're not sure of the rules for the area in which you're thinking about hunting or carrying a firearm, give a call to the local NPS unit and ask. You can pm me for contact info, or go to the "find a park" function on nps.gov

John Quinley
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Default Clear violation

These laws are clear violations of the 2nd amendment.Like I said before, if the supreme court rules in favor of Gun owners this summer, these laws should be removed immediately! If our elected representatives and Bureaucrats don't move on it and drag there feet they should incur the wrath of the people.
    Tim

One of the things that gripes me is that if I have a loaded gun in my car and drive down the Parks, I will at some point become a criminal because I did not stop, unload my gun, and put it in the trunk or somewhere. Technically you are supposed to stop and do this. Unless there is an exception to this law that I am not aware of. So, for however many miles that is along the Parks we become criminals just for driving down the highway. sheesh...
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Default Progress

The letter was signed by 47 out of 100 senators so that looks like progress. toofew was right. The regulations are confusing and I'm glad that 47 senators agree. Interestingly, I didn't see the names of any of the senators who are running for president.

Default From the park website

Here's one of the questions on their FAQ page -

11. Can I carry a gun or firearm to protect myself from bears?

In general terms, you may not carry a firearm within the boundaries of Denali National Park . If you possess a firearm it cannot be carried on your person or in a backpack, etc. All firearms must be stored unloaded, broken down and placed out of sight, such as in the trunk of your vehicle. If contacted by a park ranger you must immediately declare that you have a firearm. Firearms are NOT needed for protection from bears! Secure storage for firearms MAY be available while you are in the park. Contact any park ranger for details or if you have questions concerning firearms.
    For questions regarding the use of firearms in Preserve lands and new park additions please contact a park ranger.
    Generally these lands are open to sport and/or subsistence hunting.

I particularly enjoy the above statement about not needing a firearm for protection.

My next question would be - if you are approached by a park ranger and you declared yourself armed, what would be the response/outcome? With the confusing "ok here, not ok there" I guess you could make the mistake.

Contrary to what is written in the warning on most Federal buildings it is not unlawful to carry a firearm into a Federal building. If you read the CFL it says it is unlawful to carry a firearm into a Federal building for illegal purposes. So if you are walking into an office to get a Federal subsistence hunting permit you can carry your rifle in with you and be perfectly legal. Jim

Default Firearms in the Post Office

Quote Originally Posted by MrWoodsWalker View Post
    ... you can carry in Alaska but once you go into a post office or other federal property with a firearm, loaded or not, your gun rights basically don't exist and you have committed a felony...
    This is not true. The widely circulated rumor that you can't CCW in a Post Office is getting out of hand. Unless a state law specifical prohibits it, the post office is free for carry. Per federal law, a post office is exempted from general federal property laws, unless a law specifically states the post office as part of the law. Details can be found at http://www.handgunlaw.us/

Specifically check Title 18 USC Sec. 930 and you will find the law that prohibits possession of a firearm or dangerous weapon in a federal facility. Then in subsection d of that rule, you'll find that this doesn't apply to "lawful carrying of firearms or other dangerous weapons in a Federal facility incident to hunting or other lawful purposes." So basically, you have to break another law before the fact that you are carrying a firearm in a federal facility becomes a crime.

Note that they always use the phrase, "in a Federal facility". They don't say on federal property. These laws apply to being inside a federal building.

Further, look at administrative note 39-I-4-410 and you'll see that it specifically states that these "Federal Laws do not apply to the Postal Service...". So they specifically exclude the post office from all of these rules. Proving yet again, that the break room at work is not a good place to get your info on federal firearms laws.

Note... I ain't a lawyer. This post is MY opinion based on MY reading of the laws. You do your own reading and come to your own conclusion on what the law says.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Thanks for the post John, it is appreciated. Hopefully the law will be changed soon so that our rights are not restricted on these federal lands. In many national parks my concern is not about bears. Just looks at the jails in yosemite and yellowstone and some of the crimes ocurring in southern california and southwestern US parks.

Quote Originally Posted by toofewweekends View Post
    All,

John Quinley

Default One

Quote Originally Posted by MrWoodsWalker View Post
    The letter was signed by 47 out of 100 senators so that looks like progress. toofew was right. The regulations are confusing and I'm glad that 47 senators agree. Interestingly, I didn't see the names of any of the senators who are running for president.
    I do believe John McKain was on the list wasn't he? Don't think any of the other Republicans running are current senators. Now the dems.............

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast