Thread: Booking a sheep hunt

Default Booking a sheep hunt

Hi all I have a question, A buddy of mine wants to book an Alaskan sheep hunt using Cabelas outdoor adventure services. Im trying to talk him into a couple of local guides, but I was wondering how cabelas could book hunts when everything I have heard or have read says that only the registered guide can book a hunt. Am I missing something or can booking agents now book hunts for guides/outfitters.

Terry

booking agents basicly just pass money and info back and forth, done a ton of times each year.
    From a guides standpoint...STAY AWAY FROM BOOKIES!!!...once a client runs thru a booking agent, who milks 15 % from the guides price, he's outa the pictures. Booking agents are selling cars, some they've never seen, but they never actually have to drive them...see where i'm going here?
    Plus most booking agents make guides sign a contract that says something like once they book thru the agent, any return hunts for up to 5-7 years also have to go thru the booking agent. so if a guide does a great job and the client wants to come back, but didnt like his experience with the booking agent...well he still has to book thru the agent. Job security i belive we call that kinda contact. I'm not a big fan of booking agents, sometimes a necessary evil in my eyes.
    Booking direct with a guide is much better from where i sit, not just because of the money but you get it from the horses mouth rather than from someone else.
    Guides like it to, shows some attention to detail and interest in your hunt. Don't just pass it off for someone else to TELL you who to hunt with.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default Thanks

Thanks Brownbr, will pass on the info and maybe will help others out also.

Terry

BRWNBR is right! ...cut out the middle man and save yourself some big $$$$.......CK

Default Try Mike Bowden

You might give Mike Bowden a call. He's got a pretty good area in the Alaska Range. His website is http://www.hiddenak.com. I've known him a lot of years and he gets a lot of repeat business. He's a Master Guide who was brought into the business years ago by Zeke Schetzle. His email address isn't working on his website right now, but it is hiddenalaska@gci.net.

Hope it helps!

-Mike
    Last edited by Michael Strahan; 01-03-2008 at 21:19.
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default Question

Rather than start another thread i might as well ask here----this might be a dumb question, but I have looked in the hunting guide...Anyways, Does a Non-resident hunting guide that guides in Alaska need a guide if he chooses to hunt the animals that require one towards the end of the season when all clients have filled tags and have gone home?????.. I was just curious..........CK

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    Rather than start another thread i might as well ask here----this might be a dumb question, but I have looked in the hunting guide...Anyways, Does a Non-resident hunting guide that guides in Alaska need a guide if he chooses to hunt the animals that require one towards the end of the season when all clients have filled tags and have gone home?????.. I was just curious..........CK
    Yes they do.

Default booking agents

While a lot of booking agents are freelancers looking only to book a few clients in return for free trips, many long time and well established agents provide invaluable services to both client and guide. A reputable agent working with a reputable guide will not cost the client any extra money. The agent should be able to iron out any questions/problems when the guide is in the field or otherwise unavailable. Most established agents work with a very small group of guides and have hunted with the guide. Most agents charge the guide a flat percentage for a booking, normally witheld from the deposit. As with buying/booking anything, check references and prior client lists. Good agents, as well as good guides, stay in business a long time. Newbies tend to be here today gone tomorrow. The original question in this thread asked about Cabelas booking agency. They have been in business for quite awhile.

Default an agency in business for 58 years

I would subjest contacting Jack Atcheson Jr. in Butte, Montana. Their booking agency has been in business since 1955. Jack has kill over 50 sheep worldwide and 6 or 7 Dall Sheep in Alaska and has booked hundreds of Alaskan bound Dall Sheep hunters. Jack has hunted or been in all or most of his sheep outfitters and will not steer you wrong.

It is important to be up front about your physical condition, ability and budget. If it is possible go to the SCI at Reno or FNAWS at Salt Lake City and talk with him and other Sheep Outfitters and guides, do not in haste book at the conventions but go home and think about it and check references. For the amount of money that you are going to spend it is important to put a face on the name.

Contact him at:406-782-2382 or email at jack.jr@atcheson.com

I could not recomend Atcheson.

If you have a bad hunt the booking agent will do little for you. You are therefore better off doing your own research. You will be the one to either benefit from your efforts or suffer from them. At least you will have no one else to blame.

Default Booking Agents

I chose the go it alone route. Of course, I had alot of help from getting in touch with past clients, and being able to talk with and e-mail many dall sheep outfitters.

When you lay down the money for a dream hunt, you never know what lies in store for you in terms of weather, accidents, ect. The only things you want to be 100% sure of is how hard is your outfiiter going to work to give you a reasonable chance of harvesting your trophy.

I like to call the previuos clients who came home empty handed and ask them if they would book another hunt with the outfitter. When most of then say yes, you are looking at a pretty good outfitter. From there, you can narrow your list down to a couple of good outfits.

I had the hunt of a lifetime which involved a ton of homework. I was glad when it all came together.

Quote Originally Posted by FALCON View Post
    I chose the go it alone route. Of course, I had alot of help from getting in touch with past clients, and being able to talk with and e-mail many dall sheep outfitters.

When you lay down the money for a dream hunt, you never know what lies in store for you in terms of weather, accidents, ect. The only things you want to be 100% sure of is how hard is your outfiiter going to work to give you a reasonable chance of harvesting your trophy.

I like to call the previuos clients who came home empty handed and ask them if they would book another hunt with the outfitter. When most of then say yes, you are looking at a pretty good outfitter. From there, you can narrow your list down to a couple of good outfits.

I had the hunt of a lifetime which involved a ton of homework. I was glad when it all came together.
    How do you go about getting a list of unsuccessful previous clients to call? Does the transporter provide you with this? S]i that case it seems a bit like a job reference list would be, and I know I would list folks I Knew would give me a good reference in that case. I too, like the idea of talking to said clients but am curious how you are able to get the names to call.

-Carnivore
    Everything that lives and moves will be food for you.
    Genesis 9:3

Default Clients

Carnivore,

When you are in communication with a outfitter, just ask him for a complete list of all the clients that booked the previuos year. There should be at least 1 or 2 who for whatever reason came home without the bacon. These guys will tell you how it went.

Some outfitters list all of their clients who give them permission for the previous years hunt, but not all.

Don't be afraid to ask. Its your hunt, and your responsibility to learn as much as you can about your potential outfitter.

i would agree, always ask for guys who didn't tag out...alot of mistakes and sucky conditions can be overlooked when an animal hits the ground. most guys think they are paying for a kill these days so to talk to guys who dont' kill is more unbias, but then again, remember that they may just be upset...you really have to be able to read inbetween the lines.
    outfitter may have a great area and just for whatever reason, hit it wrong for once...or may have a bad area and hit it great once...ask alot of questions...
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Also Cabela's since becoming a Public co,(the Cabela Bros are out of the picture) seem to have lost their integrity. I have had more than one of their "former" clients tell me they will never book with them again and some have booked many hunts over many years. Don't know what exactly the problem(s) are but they definetey have problems.

Default Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FALCON View Post
    Carnivore,

When you are in communication with a outfitter, just ask him for a complete list of all the clients that booked the previuos year. There should be at least 1 or 2 who for whatever reason came home without the bacon. These guys will tell you how it went.

Some outfitters list all of their clients who give them permission for the previous years hunt, but not all.

Don't be afraid to ask. Its your hunt, and your responsibility to learn as much as you can about your potential outfitter.
    Thanks for the tip Falcon.
    Everything that lives and moves will be food for you.
    Genesis 9:3

Terry,

I'm one of the guys that Falcon referred to as "one who didn't bring home the bacon" and he went with the same guide. If you want to talk about our guide and my experience, feel free to PM me and we can talk about it.