Thread: Jerky Recipies

Default Jerky Recipies

Hello all,

I am living and working in another country (China) and would like to make some jerky as the beef here is pretty darn lean and should make good jerky. I can find most spices here and I plan on using an oven to dry the jerky in.

Does anyone have a recipie they would not mind sharing?

Thanks,
    Yukon

Quote Originally Posted by yukonjacko View Post
    Hello all,

I am living and working in another country (China) and would like to make some jerky as the beef here is pretty darn lean and should make good jerky. I can find most spices here and I plan on using an oven to dry the jerky in.

Does anyone have a recipie they would not mind sharing?

Thanks,
    Yukon
    Yukon...

I usually just use HIGH MOUNTAIN brand seasonings, but, recentlly I had a couple pounds of moose heart that might have spoiled if I didn't deal with it. I decided to jerk it on Christmas day, but had no branded seasoning in the cupboard.

However, I did have several spices and seasonings in the cabinets, and chose to experiment. It turned out good - slightly salty, but tasty enough that it is all gone already.

I wrote the recipe down as I made it:

1/2 cup sea salt

2 table spoons of herb seasoning salt (Schilling)

1 teaspoon onion powder

1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper

2 1/4 table spoons course black pepper

1/2 teaspoon fried garlic.

I have leftover seasonings that could cure another 1.5-2 lbs.

Heart is both lean and tender... I made chewy jerky of it!

I cut the meat into thin strips, and seasoned both sides. Let them sit overnight in the fridge, and then used the dehydrater because there wasn't enough to deal with the smoke house.

You could back the salt down a touch, but, you'll like the results.
    "...just because we didn't agree with you doesn't mean we didn't have good discussion. It just means you missed it." -JMG-

I use a simple recipe. 1 part salt to 2 parts sugar. It usually works out to 3 Tablespoons of the mixture per lb of meat. Slice the meat and place in a cookie sheet so that none of the pieces touch ( I don't know if thats really important or not but it's how I do it) and sprinkle the salt/sugar mixture over the meat. I then grind black pepper and or sprinkle pepper flakes just depending on what I'm in the mood for. I cover the cookie sheet with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 8 to 12 hours. After It's been in the fridge I do nor rinse the meat, I just transfer it to racks. I usually smoke the jerky but I'll bet if you add a couple of drops of liquid smoke to the salt mixture you could get a similar affect.
    Anyway good luck with it and let us know how things turn out.

I use a very simple recipe as well. Slice your meat cross-grain into 1/2" strips by cutting cross-grain a 1/2" disc of muscle. Then like making rawhide laces, lay the disc flat on a cutting surface, start cutting in a 1/2" wide circular motion towards the center.
    I just use 3-parts sauce sauce, 1-part teriyake sauce, liquid smoke to taste, which for me is about 1/3-part. Place meat and brine in Zip-lock type bag(s) big enough to completely cover meat. Place in fridge turn every couple hrs for 8 hrs or so. Longer in you want. Remove from brine and place on drying racks, I use a food dehydrator. Now you can sprinkle on your spices. Black pepper for sure, garlic powder, red chili powder or flakes, brown sugar, whatever. Let air dry for an hour or so. Place on dryer until dried to your liking. Rotate top-bottom the trays to evenly dry the meat.