Thread: 338 WM shooting 250 grain A-Frames

Default 338 WM shooting 250 grain A-Frames

Are any of you shooting this combo? I am gonna load some up and am interested to hear what loads have worked well for you guys. I have some 275 grainers too but am thinking I'll start with the 250's.

I have only loaded 250 A-frames in 35 caliber for my .358STA.
    I have never owned a .338 Win Mag. Too darn versatile. (Kinda of like a .30-06). I'm afraid if I got one my quest would be over; what fun would that be? Although, I have owned three .338 wildcats: .338 Imperial Magnum, .338-416 Sniper, and a 33-.350 RM. Soon to be recieving a custom in .338 RUM.

My brother, on the other hand, has only ever owned one centerfire rifle in his life (yup, you guessed it a .338 WM Model 70 purchased new in 1962). The action has been blueprinted and it has been rebarreled a time or two, now wears a Rock #4, 10 twist barrel @ 24". Still in the original wood topped with a 2.5x Lyman Alaskan scope. I expect he has shot about every load possible out of his Winchester Alaskan.

Here is his recipe for 250gr Swift A-Frame:
    71.5 gr IMR7828 2600fps chronograph average

This load showed to be very accurate in his rifle giving 3/4" groups at 100 yards.
    He took a 9 1/2 ft brown bear last spring on the Peninsula shooting this load. Bear was shot broadside at 20 yards, double tap through near front shoulder. Bear went down and never got up. Bullets broke both near and far shoulders. These bullets demonstrated excellent terminal performance busting the heavy bone, expending energy inside destroying the bear's heart and were lodged in the bear's hide on the opposite side of the far shoulder. The recovered bullets showed text book perfect expansion retaining 95% original weight in one, and in the other 100%. Hope this helps. As always, Your results may vary.

"AND YE SHALL KNOW THE TRUTH AND THE TRUTH SHALL MAKE YOU FREE."

JOHN VIII - XXXII

Default 338 WM load

That's my favorite moose load. I use max load of IMR4831 with 250 grain Swift A-Frames in Federal Brass and Federal 215M primers. That's the most accurate load I have found in my 338 WM. I've had 1/2" groups, but usually 3/4 - 1" 4-5 shot groups is the norm. I'm a huge fan of Swift A-Frames, I've taken several elk with them, a couple caribou and one moose. For caribou and elk I use the 225 grain slugs and 250's for moose. The range has vaired from 50 to 450 yards and the performance has always been excellent.

I've recovered two A-Frames from elk, one had 99% weight retention the other 98%, and both expanded as advertised. The range was approx. 150 yards and 223 yards determined with my Leica 800 range finder.

Woody

The A-Frame is second to none, although expensive. Also, with my Ruger (stainless), I don't try to push this bullet too fast, and stop at 2600 fps with RL-22. For some reason I can get much more speed with 250-Partition bullets, but I do prefer the toughness of the A-Frame.

I have only killed one moose with a 250-grain A-Frame, two or three with 250-grain Partition, one this year with a 225-grain TSX, and several more with the older "Lubalox-coated" 230-grain FS. I am thinking of settling down with the 225-grain TSX for moose, and 250-grain TSX for carrying with me in bear country.

A 275-grain A-Frame should be an outstanding bullet/load shot from a .338RUM or .340 Weatherby.

I am a big fan of the 338 caliber rifle and the 338 Winchester magnum. I am also a big fan of the 250 grain swift A-frame in the caliber.

I have taken at least a dozen different species with the 338 WM and the 250 grain A-frame. Mostly that was loaded with 72.0 grains of RL-22 in W-W brass and CCI-250 primers. This gives about 2600 fps from my 23" gun. It is rare to recover the bullets but when I do it is of the classic A-frame mushroom shape. They have worked so well for.....
    Elk,
    moose,
    mule deer,
    whitetail deer,
    kudu,
    water buck,
    eland,
    blesbok,
    lechwe,
    grizzly,
    gemsbok,
    wort hog,
    roan,
    and an assortment of lesser hapless beasts that were found when I was carrying a 338 WM.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Murphy

Have you ever loaded em using H4350? I am getting to where so far H4350 is working wonderfully on my 300WSM and 168 TSX's, the 338 WM with 210 TSX's, and was hoping to continue the course with the 250 grain A-Frames. Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaCub View Post
    Murphy

Have you ever loaded em using H4350? I am getting to where so far H4350 is working wonderfully on my 300WSM and 168 TSX's, the 338 WM with 210 TSX's, and was hoping to continue the course with the 250 grain A-Frames. Any thoughts?
    Yes. It is my powder of choice with the 210 and 225 grain bullets but with the 250's I like RL-19 and RL-22.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?