Thread: Looking for help on Ak bowhunt. Can trade IL/IN trophy whitetail hunt.

Default Looking for help on Ak bowhunt. Can trade IL/IN trophy whitetail hunt.

Hello all. I am looking to plan a bowhunt in Ak for next fall. I am 39, and have been bowhunting since age 11. I have been to Ak before. And took a nice Grizzly a few years back with my bow, and cant wait any longer to get back to Ak. Am open to most anything. But was really wanting to go after sitka blacktails. I already have taken Grizzly, moose, and caribou. But would love to take another moose, and am REALLY wanting to take a Brown. I live in some of the best whitetail hunting you can find in the midwest. And would be willing to trade a trophy whitetail hunt. I have private land in both ILL. and IND. as I live on the state line. I hang in excess of 50 tree stands every year, in 8 different hunting areas. All within 30 minutes of my home. And that is just for me, as I am not an outfitter. I am only a trophy bowhunter and take 150"+ animals almost every year. I have pics to prove the quality of the animals I have taken in the area. This year was a 174"+ in ILL. and a 148"+ in IND.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated. And I am a grateful person to those who would assist me. I am an accomplished and experienced bowhunter. Having taken 10 of the big game species, with over 20 P&Y animals. I am very willing and able to do any of the hunts myself. Of course I know I am not legally able to do the Brown hunt without an outfitter. Would love to hear any suggestions on areas and times for any of the great Ak. animals. And would welcome suggestions on REASONABLE honest outfitters as well. Thank you for your time. Darrell Bozarth
    playingthewind@aol.com 812-249-0242

Default Looking for help on Ak bowhunt. Can trade IL/IN trophy whitetail hunt.

Hello all. I am looking to plan a bowhunt in Ak for next fall. I am 39, and have been bowhunting since age 11. I have been to Ak before. And took a nice Grizzly a few years back with my bow, and cant wait any longer to get back to Ak. Am open to most anything. But was really wanting to go after sitka blacktails. I already have taken Grizzly, moose, and caribou. But would love to take another moose, and am REALLY wanting to take a Brown. I live in some of the best whitetail hunting you can find in the midwest. And would be willing to trade a trophy whitetail hunt. I have private land in both ILL. and IND. as I live on the state line. I hang in excess of 50 tree stands every year, in 8 different hunting areas. All within 30 minutes of my home. And that is just for me, as I am not an outfitter. I am only a trophy bowhunter and take 150"+ animals almost every year. I have pics to prove the quality of the animals I have taken in the area. This year was a 174"+ in ILL. and a 148"+ in IND.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated. And I am a grateful person to those who would assist me. I am an accomplished and experienced bowhunter. Having taken 10 of the big game species, with over 20 P&Y animals. I am very willing and able to do any of the hunts myself. Of course I know I am not legally able to do the Brown hunt without an outfitter. Would love to hear any suggestions on areas and times for any of the great Ak. animals. And would welcome suggestions on REASONABLE honest outfitters as well. Thank you for your time. Darrell Bozarth
    playingthewind@aol.com 812-249-0242

Default Black tail

SE alaska got hit pretty hard last winter. If considering SE, I would look around Prince of Wales. PM me for info.

Default Thanks

Thanks to the few who have responded to my post. I am still seeking info for HONEST REASONABLE outfitters for archery Brown bear, and Moose. Any help is greatly appreciated. I am also still seeking advice and info on Sitkas as well.

Default Still seeking......

I have a few good leads on the Sitka. And I am going to travel to Ak. in the fall of 08 (somewhere). Now that I have been thinking of Ak. again for just about every waking moment of my life. I am going to book a Brown bear hunt now. I would also concider a Brown/Moose combo. If anyone has suggestions for HONEST REASONABLE outfitters for a ARCHERY ONLY hunter. I would love to hear your insight, suggestions, and advice. I would also still love to hear any suggestions on Sitka as well.
    Thank you Darrell

Default Sitka

Email sent......Thanks.

Unguided with Papa Bear adventures if you want to moose hunt. I can't say enough good about them.

Default Sitka, Brown, & Moose

Still seeking any help or info on HONEST Brown outfitters, info on Sitkas, and Moose. If anyone is looking for a trophey Whitetail hunt I have some of the best hunting you will find in the midwest. Alot of P&Y bucks. I took a 174 this year and saw larger. For the right help in Ak. I am willing to pay, or can trade high end Bowtechs.

Default Payment for hunting services

My friend your playing with a difficult situation in a way. As soon as you talk about paying someone for hunting services.....Boat transport, gear, logistical planning, ect....you cross over into the realm of guilding. I'm sure you know thats a heavily regulated component of F&G.

Now......if you start a conversation with a board member......share common interest.......Pay for all your own transportation, gear, plan your own hunt and meet for a friendly hunt, your golden.

That friendship can then be returned. He (preferably a she) will then pay their own way to your property and enjoy another friendly hunt.

I'm just afraid that none of these board members will just up and say..... ya sure for $1,500 or a new bow I'll get you a nice Sitka or a moose without having a guild contract signed.

Now we can suggest great locations for Sitka/Moose
    We can suggest transporters as you decide on locations
    We can provide you with excellent gear advice
    The archives are an excellent resource too

Sounds like your experienced hunter so forgive me if I went too far with this. I think its important that everyone reading understands that when money starts changing its another issue all together.

So........Thats brings up the question.....If F&G was to get ahold of a situation where this gentleman traded a "hunt" for Whitetail what do you think would happen? Is that the same as changing money?

Talking I see

Sorry....I went through that thread one more time........

Your are looking for a guide.......A cheap brown bear guide.
    Last edited by Bighorse; 01-05-2008 at 07:05. Reason: spelling

Check your PMs. I sent you some info about hunting Kodiak.

i guide brown bears and i'm honest. wether or not you can afford it or are willing to afford it might be a different story. But i might be able to help you with logistics or other info pertaining to kodiak and or brown bears/deer.
    You may find that guides who will take you brown bear hunting, probably don't care about a 150" whitetail, or even a 200" whitetail, i think i've only ever been in one bear camp that whitetail was ever even brought up. its a boring deal for alot of brown bear guides. Also not sure if your trying to do a straight across trade, but i'm doubting that will fly either, i'd have more wrapped up into just the air charter than you would the entire whitetail deal...apples for apples.
    Shoot me a line and let me know if i can be of any help, mabye can help with some questions or point you in a direction. best of luck to ya.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

call up archery outfitters in Juneau
    (907) 789-4287

Also you might talk to the people at mack's in Kodiak
    http://www.mackssportshop.com/

I'd recommend an early season alpine hunt as you will be able to spot the most deer that way and thus have better odds at a trophy blacktail.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Ak.

I understand what you are saying. And no offense was taken. I also see that I probably should have chosen some of my words better. I think your quote of:
    (Now......if you start a conversation with a board member......share common interest.......Pay for all your own transportation, gear, plan your own hunt and meet for a friendly hunt, your golden.

That friendship can then be returned. He (preferably a she) will then pay their own way to your property and enjoy another friendly hunt.)

would have been a much better way of presenting my wants. Thanks for the insight, as I do not want to break any laws!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bighorse View Post
    My friend your playing with a difficult situation in a way. As soon as you talk about paying someone for hunting services.....Boat transport, gear, logistical planning, ect....you cross over into the realm of guilding. I'm sure you know thats a heavily regulated component of F&G.

Now......if you start a conversation with a board member......share common interest.......Pay for all your own transportation, gear, plan your own hunt and meet for a friendly hunt, your golden.

That friendship can then be returned. He (preferably a she) will then pay their own way to your property and enjoy another friendly hunt.

I'm just afraid that none of these board members will just up and say..... ya sure for $1,500 or a new bow I'll get you a nice Sitka or a moose without having a guild contract signed.

Now we can suggest great locations for Sitka/Moose
    We can suggest transporters as you decide on locations
    We can provide you with excellent gear advice
    The archives are an excellent resource too

Sounds like your experienced hunter so forgive me if I went too far with this. I think its important that everyone reading understands that when money starts changing its another issue all together.

So........Thats brings up the question.....If F&G was to get ahold of a situation where this gentleman traded a "hunt" for Whitetail what do you think would happen? Is that the same as changing money?

Default Guide

Not looking for (cheap). Looking for honest and reasonable. I know that there are really good guides out there who offer quality hunts for reasonable rates. I am also full aware of the fact that you get what you pay for. Thanks Darrell

Quote Originally Posted by Bighorse View Post
    Sorry....I went through that thread one more time........

Your are looking for a guide.......A cheap brown bear guide.

Default Browns

Thanks for the reply. I understand what you are saying about bear guides not having interest in whitetails. And I am not trying to trade a bear for a WT. Wish it was that easy, but I am from the real world. I know there are some out there that may have interest in a midwest trophy whitetail. And had that listed as something I would have to offer as favors for favors. I am very interested in speaking with you. As I am going to book a Brown Bear hunt. Just havnt picked the who yet. My plans are to hunt Ak. every year for the next 4-5 years. As I plan to hunt Brown, Sitka, Moose, and Dall for sure. And would like a chance opportunity at Caribou and a Black bear if the chance presented itself while hunting the other target animals.

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    i guide brown bears and i'm honest. wether or not you can afford it or are willing to afford it might be a different story. But i might be able to help you with logistics or other info pertaining to kodiak and or brown bears/deer.
    You may find that guides who will take you brown bear hunting, probably don't care about a 150" whitetail, or even a 200" whitetail, i think i've only ever been in one bear camp that whitetail was ever even brought up. its a boring deal for alot of brown bear guides. Also not sure if your trying to do a straight across trade, but i'm doubting that will fly either, i'd have more wrapped up into just the air charter than you would the entire whitetail deal...apples for apples.
    Shoot me a line and let me know if i can be of any help, mabye can help with some questions or point you in a direction. best of luck to ya.

Default Thanks

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    call up archery outfitters in Juneau
    (907) 789-4287

Also you might talk to the people at mack's in Kodiak
    http://www.mackssportshop.com/

I'd recommend an early season alpine hunt as you will be able to spot the most deer that way and thus have better odds at a trophy blacktail.

No problem, you should get in sheep shape for an alpine hunt, especially a alpine bow hunt! Hope you have better luck than I did this season.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Thanks to all

Thank you very much to all who responded, and helped.
    I have put together and planned a Sitka hunt for this fall. And have booked a Brown hunt with Bob Jewett for spring of 09.
    Fall of 09, and the next 4 following years are still open. But I plan to try and locate a nice Moose area to be dropped in, still have to put together an AK bou hunt, and WILL be booking a sheep hunt as well. Even though I have already harvested 7 black bears in Canada, I feel the need to spot and stalk one in AK. Once again, Thank you to all. Darrell Bozarth

Default Thanks to all.

Thank you very much to all who responded, and helped.
    I have put together and planned a Sitka hunt for this fall. And have booked a Brown hunt with Bob Jewett for spring of 09.
    Fall of 09, and the next 4 following years are still open. But I plan to try and locate a nice Moose area to be dropped in, still have to put together an AK bou hunt, and WILL be booking a sheep hunt as well. Even though I have already harvested 7 black bears in Canada, I feel the need to spot and stalk one in AK. Once again, Thank you to all. Darrell Bozarth