Thread: South Rolly lake??? Little Beaver lake??

Default South Rolly lake??? Little Beaver lake??

Has anyone fished this lake before???

How about little beaver lake???

I will try and fish both my next trip home. Next two weeks. I will post with some picts I hope.

Good luck to all!
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Default south rolly

Ive fished south rolly. In the spring of 06 I caught a bunch of rainbows(probably stocked catchables) I also caught a much larger Rainbow that same spring. I have also caught pike in there. Most of that area's lakes, and large ponds also hold pike.

Default Thanks

Yah i figured with it's location there might be some pike. I will probably hit it up in a week when I'm off. I will post my results here.
    Thanks again for the info.

My parents have a cabin on Little Beaver. I've only fished it once, right at the outlet, for just a few minutes when the first heavy snow of the year was falling. It was cold enough that the snow sat on the surface of the water, and there was a strange line in the snow running down the middle of the outlet. I dropped an egg in there and almost immediately pulled a ~15" rainbow out. My brother has fished it in the summer by trolling a purple egg sucking leach behind a canoe, and he reported that he and a friend caught 3 nice rainbows in one round trip across the lake and back. I also see multiple large bows out by the road during spawing season every spring. Additionally, whenever we have a bonfire that stretches past midnight we will hear fish making some pretty large splashes.

What I've been able to figure from all of this is that there aren't very many fish there, but there are some lunkers. Give it a shot and let us know how you do.

Default South Rolly...

In the summer of 2006, I fished South Rolly ...heavily! It was probably some of the BEST rainbow fishing I've ever done in a lake in Alaska. On the backside of the lake, if you were using dry flies, you could EASILY count on 30-40+ 'bows a day!

However, when I returned this past summer, it was the complete opposite. Using the same patters, same techniques, same location (from a canoe), I could only muster 1 lousy 'bow. I spoke to the Nancy Lake park rangers later about the lake and learned that due to heavy pike infestation, ADFG will not be restocking the lake any time soon. The pike were responsible for pretty much wiping out most of the lake's trout population.

Default Sounds good and bad!

Well sounds like I need to put some pike gear in the truck. I will set up for both and try both during the trip the lake.

Thanks for the info guys,

Now to get off the slope, Its a beautiful -64 today with wind chill.. Phase 2.

Well as long as friday is nice I will be out of here for 2 weeks.
    I will post reports as I hope to try a few lakes in the two weeks off.

can a guy drive to south rolly this time of year? i heard that the road is closed a few miles back from the lake, so i didn't go.

i havent been there yet this year but yes they do close the road a mile or two before you get to rolly here is link to a winter map showing where they close the road.
    http://www.dnr.state.ak.us/parks/uni...k/nanwimap.htm

I'm not sure if it is "closed" but i know they do not plow it in the winter. Many people take snowmachine back there and on to redshirt but as of last weekend the trail was closed due to poor snow conditions.

Last spring I had pretty good luck through the ice on south rolly.

motorboatn,
    You will have better luck by going to the supermarket. I suggest New Sagaya, they have a great fish selection. You could not catch a cold if you were standing in a pair of shorts soaking wet in phase 2 conditions.

Leave the ice fishing to us professionals. Wait until the huge number of reds are back in the rivers to up your odds of hooking a fish. But be very wary of the bears that sneak up behind you in the trees on the Kenai.