Thread: Ruger MKIII Hunter & match ammo

Default Ruger MKIII Hunter & match ammo

I've read the two threads that MT3006 started as he prepared to buy and then bought his Ruger 22/45 MKIII Hunter, and I have a slightly different question. I've shot quite a few types of 22 ammo for plinking and hunting, but I don't have any experience trying 22 match ammo. I'm curious if some of you have used match ammo? Maybe you found it good for indoor shooting leagues? If so, what brands are there, where (in Anchorage) have you found the ammo, and is it worth the added expense?

I've been wanting a Ruger MKII for a long time (that MKII isn't a typo but a indication of how long this has taken), but I always bought some other hunting thing when $$ was available. Yesterday my wife surprised me after I'd been drueling over a Ruger MKIII Hunter that was selling for 20% off. On the last day of the sale, she bought it for me! I'm stoked! I've always felt these Ruger .22s were great guns.

As with any gun, I know I'll have to figure out what ammo this one likes best, but because I now have a .22 that I can shoot at the indoor league during the winter months, I want to see just how good I can get. That's where the match ammo may come into play.

Thanks for any advice you can offer!
    Mike

Great pistol, I am sure you will enjoy it!

Best thing about 22's is one can buy various types of ammo and see what groups the best. Once you figure that out, then you can worry about which lot number groups the best. Then, temperatures sure seem to affect group size. Lots to tinker with

The current ammo in favor seems to be Wolf 22 avail from AK shooting supply, about $38 carton/500. Groups pretty good at 50 yds from a rest in my M41 and Marvel conversion. Eley EPS shoots good, avail from Sportsman Warehouse for about $12 box of 50.
    CCI Standard, Green Tag, Pistol Match all have worked good for me. SWH or the Northern Sec has had a variety of CCI in the past.
    New stocks of Federal 711b seems to have problems in my pistols, as does Remington Blue Box. i would not buy Rem Blue Box. Lots of no fires all of my pistols and rifles.

While I have not benched the Rugers, and I have had about 6, the Rugers, I have had, shoot everything I put in them... for hundreds of rounds. Cycle and feed well, no hiccups. I cannot say that about the M41. I have a couple of High Standards as well, which work well too.

My recommendation would be to get a carton of Standard CCI and shoot it. All the ammo I tested groups better than I can hold and score with a pistol. Rugers seem to be the best for always working, so the limiting factor has been my skill, and not the ammo. As long as it functions, you are good to go.

Sidebar: I learned a lot about shooting pistol, after putting a Ultra Dot on a pistol. Exposed all my bad technique and crossed over back to regular sights as well, and rifle shooting! $125 delivered from Larry's Guns. You might want to get a couple more factory magazines as well.

Enjoy!

Default Thank you!

Allen-AK,

Thanks for your response. I was in Anchorage Thurs & Friday, and while I had very little free time, I made it by AK Shooting Supply. This was my first time in there, and I'm glad you pointed me in that direction. The owner, I didn't catch his name nor get his card, was very helpful. I mentioned your advice towards Wolf ammo, and my only concern about Wolf was their use of steel casings, which I'm not inclined to use, in other ammo. He quickly dispelled that concern telling me the Wolf .22 ammo has real brass and that it's good stuff. He didn't have a lot of Wolf ammo available, but he did have Lapua ammo, which is who makes the Wolf ammo. He had some other match ammo that he recommended, made by Aguila.

So, I bought a brick of Standard Plus Lapua ammo for $39.50 and a brick of Aguila Golden Eagle Match Pistol ammo for $31. I liked the added bonus of his 5% military discount too.

I can't wait to see how the ammo, pistol, and I shoot. Thanks again for your timely response!

cool....Lapua is good ammo as well. I think you will be happy with it. I shot a bunch of it, just hard to get up here.

The Wolf Match I have is made in Germany by SGD.

I have a case of Aguila Rifle match, reports vary, that is, rounds sound different occasionally. Shoots OK at 50 yds, jury still out for 100. Eley Red box works best for me, if the temperatures are above 20F.

Limiting factor for the 22's in Pistol for me, seems to be me.

Enjoy the pistol!

Hmmm, interesting that your Wolf ammo doesn't seem to come from the same maker as Lapua. While in the store, I thought he said the Wolf and Lapua were made by the same company. Guess it doesn't too much matter if the Lapua shoots well, and they were the same price. My box of Lapua also has an emblem with the initials SK on it presumably from the full name, Schonebeck/Elbe.

I'll have to pay attention to how the Aguila sounds. If it pops differently, that's liable to get in my head about why.......

Thanks again. I hope to get out shooting the pistol this week.

I have had really good luck with the CCI ammo in my Mark III. Just be careful where you put the owners manual. Teardown on the Mark III is not an easy proposition. Read the instructions well!