Thread: Route recommendation

Default Route recommendation

I am in the process of planning for my upcoming retirement. First on my agenda will be (fly) fishing my way to Alaska via Montana, British Columbia and The Yukon to Fairbanks. I plan to cross the border north of Kalispell, Montana the first or second week in July. My first stop will be the Fernie area including south western Alberta (Old Man River). However from there I just want to drive the route that will offer the best fishing. Time will not be a factor. Side trips off the highways will be no problem as I'll be traveling light with a four wheel drive pickup and will be able to camp/sleep most any place. I'll have along a Scadden Pontoon boat cabale of floating most rivers. From the Fernie area I've considered working my way toward Kamloops for the lake fishing. After that, just the route that will offer the best fishing. Trout, Grayling, Dollie Varden and Salmon are the fish I prefer. I assume many Alaskan residents have traveled through British Columbia and the Yukon enroute to Alaska. Hopefully some of you have "fished" your way there. Any travel recommendations would be very much appreciated.

Default great resource...

I have a CN friend who travels and fishes similar to your request.

Try a personal e-mail to Brian at symarun@tbaytel.net. He is faithful in correspondance and a certifiable fishaholic.

If you make it all the way to AK, you might find what I have published helpful to you as a first-timer. You can browse the books at www.alaskanauthor.com.

Beware firearms in entering CN and make sure you you check the regulations...

http://www.alaskanauthor.com

Thanks Alaskan Author. I purchased your book prior to my first trip to Alaksa. We flew that time. I was hoping some folks have driven through British Columbia and the Yukon with their fly rods along and were will to recommend a route.

I'd go with the interior route as salmon runs in BC are much later than they are here. Sounds like an awesome trip, I kinda wanna do that in reverse sometime. Tie lots of stimulators
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.