Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Range for Sheep

Default What Range for Sheep

What range do you plan on sheep hunting this year if you don't draw a tag? Obviously not specific locations, and this isn't about our "sheep problems". Just thought it would be interesting to see what the plans are. I'm thinking about the Brooks or Alaska Ranges, leaning more toward the Brooks.
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

Lightbulb

Blackfoot:

The Brooks is a lot farther north, no? The winters are longer and colder up there. Accordingly, the sheep have fewer months for good food and good weather, for the horns to grow. The sheep density are less as well, again due to the harsher conditions. I think that some research with F and G will bear me out.

Short answer, I would go with a remote spot in the ak. range.

Default Wrangells

I will be going to the Wrangells

North East Brooks Range...I did not put in for sheep permit this year, just goat...so we will see....CK

Default Sure

Quote Originally Posted by cold zero View Post
    Blackfoot:

The Brooks is a lot farther north, no? The winters are longer and colder up there. Accordingly, the sheep have fewer months for good food and good weather, for the horns to grow. The sheep density are less as well, again due to the harsher conditions. I think that some research with F and G will bear me out.

Short answer, I would go with a remote spot in the ak. range.
    The Brooks is not worth it. Nobody go to the Brooks this year. Listen to cold zero. NOBODY ELSE go to the Brooks :-)
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

Although there are few secrets out there when it comes to walk-in sheep hunting, there are also not all that many access points. I think I'll keep my destination quiet, as even one more walk-in hunter in the area I'm planning on hunting may make the difference between potential success and coming home with an empty pack.

Default wrangells

Heading to the Wrangells this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Although there are few secrets out there when it comes to walk-in sheep hunting, there are also not all that many access points. I think I'll keep my destination quiet, as even one more walk-in hunter in the area I'm planning on hunting may make the difference between potential success and coming home with an empty pack.
    Surely the mountain range is not going to give away your destination? I guess some are reluctant to say what state they will persuing sheep in :-)

Default I'll be hitting

The Brooks and Chugach. Maybe the Kenai's, oh the Wrangell's for sure and possibly the Talkeetna's.

Quote Originally Posted by blackfoot View Post
    Surely the mountain range is not going to give away your destination? I guess some are reluctant to say what state they will persuing sheep in :-)
    I don't know, blackfoot. Look at the # of access points for walk-in hunters. The portion of the Alaska Range, Brooks Range, Chugach Range, Wrangells, and Kenai Mountains that is accessible by road without a drawing permit is pretty darn small in each. If I say that I'm going to hunt the Wrangells on foot, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to narrow down the options to one of a likely few. Same with all of the others.

I have one area that I like to hunt when time is short like it will be next year (my first day back teaching is on August 14th). I'll have company, but there's no need to increase the number of guests.

Talking More Info

You just gave us more info. than if you would have just said what range. You didn't have to say you were walking in. You must be going to the Talkeetna's since you didn't mention them. Good luck on your short trip, maybe you should call in sick for the first 10 days or so.

Quote Originally Posted by blackfoot View Post
    You just gave us more info. than if you would have just said what range. You didn't have to say you were walking in. You must be going to the Talkeetna's since you didn't mention them. Good luck on your short trip, maybe you should call in sick for the first 10 days or so.
    Ha ha ha.... Or perhaps I'm just trying to throw you off my trail? Sneaky minds don't always think alike.

OK, ok...truth be told, I haven't completely decided. I have one spot that I have hunted before that I hope to scout in July. If I don't find any legal rams, I'll try somewhere new in a different range. Unfortunately, though...calling in sick for the first 10 days isn't an option. Late in the season, perhaps, but not at the start.

I'll be in the kenai mountains
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

If we don't draw we are headed to the Brooks Range, east side.

I do not plan to hunt sheep if I don't draw. If I change my mind however, I'll go where Brian is going and stay about an hour in front of him.

Quote Originally Posted by Valley Trash View Post
    I do not plan to hunt sheep if I don't draw. If I change my mind however, I'll go where Brian is going and stay about an hour in front of him.
    Watch it. I'm fast in the mountains. Especially when there are little white dots to chase.

Default an honest spot

hey blackfoot,
    obviously a lot of folks are going to have fun with your request to even narrow down a range for coveted dall sheep. i probably will miss another sheep season due to work. here's where i've frequently seen full curl dall sheep and other game for that matter.
    lat 61 7.460/ long 149 4.057
    check the regs for any special tickets for access, i think it varies for some residents
    also a good airstrip within a couple miles, but walk in is not difficult
    fair warning this place can be kind of a zoo during peak times of the year.

Default I know

I know where I'm going. I thought it would be interesting to just see what mountain ranges people were going to this year. Not looking for any spots or ideas where to hunt.

Default ok if you still want to check it out

well i told you my spot, where's yours?
    (not thunderbird, the brooks one)?

Default ???

Maybe I'm looking at the wrong spot but is the one you gave inside the corridor for bowhunting only? Did you give just an entry point to hike back in?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast