Thread: Skagway Fishing Seasons

Default Skagway Fishing Seasons

Hello,

I just moved to Whitehorse and am planning on doing aot of fishing in Skagway. Most of my fishing has been done on the BC coast (Prince Rupert, Skeena River). I am wondering if any can give me a general breakdown of the best fishing season's in Skagway, in particular the Chinook and Coho Runs up the river.

Thanks

Default Skagway

I'm not really familiar with fishing in Skagway, but I have heard that it is not a great location. Haines on the other hand can be really good fishing for reds and cohos etc. It's a further drive, but as a fishing destination, I think it will beat Skagway hands down.

Default Skagway fishing

Hi there
    I grew up in Terrace and Kitimat and have been in the Yukon for twelve years. I have done some fishing in Skagway all in the ocean. June and early July are good times for springs around Skagway. All the coho fishing I have done has been 80 miles from Skagway. Icy Straights area.
    The rivers in Haines are popular but I think they can get crowded.
    Do you have a boat?

Default Have to be samon?

Quote Originally Posted by vkh01 View Post
    Hello,

I just moved to Whitehorse and am planning on doing aot of fishing in Skagway. Most of my fishing has been done on the BC coast (Prince Rupert, Skeena River). I am wondering if any can give me a general breakdown of the best fishing season's in Skagway, in particular the Chinook and Coho Runs up the river.

Thanks
    There is lots of good lake fishing in that area for pike and lake trout, grayling, and probably other species (burbot). Just a thought if you don't like the drive.

I'll betcha trolling for lakers in Kluane and Lake Kathleen would be superb.

I once saw some heads of pike at a cleaning table at Kathleen that you could easily fit a softball into.