Thread: Sharing trails

Default Sharing trails

What are your guys feelings on sharing the trails with other forms of off road vehicles? Such as Jeeps and full size rigs?

There are alot of threads that have covered this and I have probably read all of them at one time or another. My main concern is that if we don't all help protect everyones form of off road entertainment, slowly but surely they will all disappear. Kind of like hunting, my form of hunting may be looked down upon while someone else's form of hunting is deemed more favorable. When you take the overall "outdoors" people and start drawing lines through them you are gonna have issues and the strength of the overall hobby (or recreation) is weakened. Trust me, the greenies don't have any lines through them, they want it all to stop. Just one guy's opinion.
    EricL

I think that sharing the trails works seamlessly, except in the soft spots. The wheeler riders complain that the 4WD trucks dig really deep ruts that we then can't get through, and they complain that as we bushwack around these rutted spots we kill more vegetation, thus enlarging the overall mud puddle.

Default Sure we can

and we do. And both of you are thinking rightly, we all have to share the trails (to save the trails) - while saving the challenge. I don't think wheelers want to make the trails into roads any more than the full-size guys do. There are groups around who are working at getting grants (ie. our tax money) to do just that. SR, your observation of the differences is spot-on for the most part. But I know you know some wheelers that love to tackle the mudholes in the trail. And I know some truckers that don't like the mudholes. And no one likes the multiple bypasses. The problem is saving the challenge and flavor of the trail while stopping the spread of the bypasses.
    My idea is hardening the bypass. Not the whole trail, just the short bypasses around the mud. I think corduroying those sections is a much more efficient way of hardening than carting in many trailers of gravel. And it is much cheaper than geomat. Most of the mining roads were built that way and a lot of the gravel roads we use still have the corduroy as a base. But for some reason, no one wants to talk about it.
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

Access, Access, Access. The more motorized the merrier! Those big rigs can be handy to have around! Nice to have a helping hand when you need one. I agree with Mike, if its too tore up in a spot, fix that spot but leave the ambiance there alone. What fun is it if its all groomed? With the cold ground temps up here, logs last for years, eventually sink and become covered with mud anyways, so it doesn't look all that bad. Let's keep it open for everyone to enjoy. Besides, the big rig guys, whether you know it or not, have repaired many mudholes out there.

I agree - The more the merrier. Each separate group can contribute to the effort to keep our trails clean and open. If we designate areas for fourwheelers only, snowmachines only, trucks/jeeps etc. only...we all lose.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.