Thread: Wolves n coyotes..

Default Wolves n coyotes..

My firearm battery is a bit too much for either of these and need to find a caliber that will work for both with minimum fur damage. I had a .17 Remington that I've used in the lower 48 on coyotes with awesome results but with the wolf in the picture it will be a different story.

Anyone with experience with the 6.5mm Grendel, 6 mmBR, or 22-250? Leaning toward the 6BR..

ever think of the 204. small hole most time no exit. looks like a grenade went off in cavity. Head shots turn brain to mush.

Quote Originally Posted by akspecialus View Post
    ever think of the 204. small hole most time no exit. looks like a grenade went off in cavity. Head shots turn brain to mush.
    ^x2- I love my CZ .204 , I wish all my guns shot like this one. But it wouldent be my first choice , i would have to lean towards AR-15
    LOVE MY LITTLE SKULL CLEANERS

20 caliber seems pretty light to reliablily take wolves, my personal choice would be .243 Winchester with 85 Grain Barnes TSX. My hope is to have a bullet that will penetrate enough for a Wolf but not expand so much to create excessive pelt damage should I get a shot at a Lynx, Fox, or Coyote. Take that for what its worth as I have never shot a wolf, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
    The individual right to keep and bear arms shall not be denied or infringed by the State or a political subdivision of the State.

I have used a lot of different calibers, cartridges, and bullets to harvest fur and have recently settled on two different dedicated rigs which work best for me: Coyote .22-250 62g TSX, Wolf .25-06 100gr TSX. If I were to utilize just one rifle for both it would be a .22-250 or .243, as .25-06 is too much of a good thing for yute. For the area and conditions I hunt I wouldn't even consider anything less than .224 caliber. If I was attempting to target both species with one dedicated rifle, my preference would also be .243 w/85gr TSX. I formally shot nothing but Noslers and leaned towards Ballistic Tips as bullet of choice in all my predator setups. Have recently become a Barnes copperhead convert because accuracy is of utmost importance to me. Terminal performance and lack of fur damage is also excellent.

"AND YE SHALL KNOW THE TRUTH AND THE TRUTH SHALL MAKE YOU FREE."

JOHN VIII - XXXII

I know a few professional guides that use the .17 Remington, and swear by it. I personally use the .223, 22-250, and a 30-06. I like the Nosler Ballistic Tip bullets in all three. The Speer 125gr TNT works well in the 30-06 also. Do not go for shoulder shots with these light frangible bullets. You want bullets inside when they blow up, for maximum damage to lungs and organs.

The .243 will work just as good, but it is not one of my favorite rounds.

The .223 is good out to 200 yards, beyond that not enough energy to properly open bullets. The 22-250 is good to 400 yards, and 30-06 will take them on out to 500 yards. After that again bullet performance is lacking.
    Gun Control means hitting your target.
    "Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley
    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"

Thank you all for your comments and I've never gave it much thought toward the 243.. I guess since I want the rifle to be in an AR platform, I'll pick the 6mmBR. Quick follow up shots IF needed...

Never heard of the 6mmBR in anything other than a bolt platform, now .243 or .260 is another story. These guys make AR15s in these calibers www.dpmsinc.com Why are you interested in the 6mmBR? I assume you handload.
    Another good source of info:
    www.6mmbr.com

"AND YE SHALL KNOW THE TRUTH AND THE TRUTH SHALL MAKE YOU FREE."

JOHN VIII - XXXII

Quote Originally Posted by Timber Smith View Post
    Why are you interested in the 6mmBR? I assume you handload.
    Another good source of info:
    www.6mmbr.com
    This is what it looks like and the reason that I'm interested in the 6mm is because of the accuracy at long range and the ability to be able to shoot both wolves and coyotes with minimum damage. I had originally wanted the BR but I've been reading about loading problems (rebated rims) in an AR15 so the 6mmAR will be what I will go with.

This link will take you to the page for all the info and from what I've read about the 6 that it's hard to beat and is still somewhat fur friendly, if there is such a thing... well.. the .17 Rem that I had was pretty dang close to being that but.. with wanting to add wolves in front of those sights would not be advised, especially at long range.

http://www.6mmar.com/6mmAR_New_Products.html

http://www.6mmbr.com/gunweek068.html

Default Good choice!

I just bought the 223 in the same display you posted but, now I really wished I got the 6 due to its accuracy and the least fur damage of any high caliber that is capable of taking wolves on down with minimal fur damage. From what I read the Rock River was the best out of the box rifle in the same set up you have shown.

Default Thanks..

Quote Originally Posted by moosehead08 View Post
    I just bought the 223 in the same display you posted but, now I really wished I got the 6 due to its accuracy and the least fur damage of any high caliber that is capable of taking wolves on down with minimal fur damage. From what I read the Rock River was the best out of the box rifle in the same set up you have shown.
    You can get an upper in a 6AR.. so how do you like the shooting ability of that weapon? Yeah I'm pretty stoked about this one as it will be one awesome shooting machine. Can't wait.... 600 yrds., no problem, as long as I do my part, with quick follow up shots as needed or quick multiple target capability if/when needed.

The rifle is pretty nice and at first I wasn't sure about having a rifle this heavy but, the accuracy is well worth it. I got the 18 inch barrel put a telescopic buttstock, extended charging handle on and topped it with a burris fullfield 2. The out of the box trigger is amazingly awesome too.
    So I don't know much about this but from what you said I can really just change the upper on it and the lower will be fine? If so thats really appealing. Where did you hear about the 6?

Quote Originally Posted by moosehead08 View Post
    The rifle is pretty nice and at first I wasn't sure about having a rifle this heavy but, the accuracy is well worth it. I got the 18 inch barrel put a telescopic buttstock, extended charging handle on and topped it with a burris fullfield 2. The out of the box trigger is amazingly awesome too.
    So I don't know much about this but from what you said I can really just change the upper on it and the lower will be fine? If so thats really appealing. Where did you hear about the 6?

Yeah since you already have an existing AR-15, you can use your lower and all you need to do is purchase a 6mmAR upper. Just read the article on the below hyper link...

http://www.6mmar.com/AR-15_Easy_Set_Up.html

Default wolf/coyote rifle

I have taken both with my .223, .22-250 & .243. As to which one is better? They all kill em dead how much better do you want. If you're looking for multiple shots, bolts work as well as semi-auto (in my mind) and you don't have jamming issues. Some claim their more accurate as well! All will hit where you aim them has been my experience. My advise(for what it's worth) is buy what you're comfortable with in all aspects - recoil /feel/bullet selection etc. None will do muuch if any pelt damage on wolves and bullet selection is most important for all. I like the 50gr accu-pt for 22cals and 75/95gr for 243. 75 gives better long range. As I said before try will all kill-em!!

Default Accuracy Response Systems

How about a Mini-14 platofrm as built by ARS (Accuracy Response systems) they set them for some of the big 20 cailbres and guarantee some pretty fair accuracy and also offer many different priced packages. There you have a rifle with a more reliable action that is not so finicky when the weather turns dicy.

I once laughed at these rifles but they have come along way..

Default Calibre offerings

1. <LI type=1>.17 Remington <LI type=1>.204 Ruger <LI type=1>.222 Remington <LI type=1>.223 Remington <LI type=1>6mm X 45 <LI type=1>7.62 X 39 <LI type=1>6mm PPC <LI type=1>6.5 Grendel
    2. 6.8 Rem. SPC (ballistics @ bottom)
    **Other calibers available!

MINI 14 & AR15 Comparisons

Mini 14 - No hot gases are dumped into the bolt. So the bolt is not over come by excessive heat! Also there is no carbon to build up and lock up the bolt!
    AR15 - Hot gases are dumped into the bolt to say the least and carbon will build up if not regularly cleaned causing a malfunction and or cease to operate condition.
    Mini 14 - All steel receiver and case hardened to a thickness of at least .020"
    AR15 - 75% aluminum alloy with the critical parts steel
    Mini 14 - Open bolt design is a close copy of the M14. The open bolt is very forgiving when it comes to dirt, dust or sand. The rifle clean or dirty just keeps ticking and ticking.
    AR 15- Closed bolt design. Just ask our troops about the plastic baggies they need to use to keep the sand from jamming up there rifles.
    Mini 14 - Self cleaning gas system no buffer tube to collect moisture or dirt and lock up the buffer system.
    AR 15- Must be field stripped to clean trigger compartment, Buffer system, Bolt & carrier and gas tube system.
    Mini 14 - compact, versatile, and doesn't take up much space.
    AR15 - Large bulky
    Mini 14 - Field strips in seconds. Pop the trigger guard and the rifle practically dismantles it self.
    AR 15- Definitely slower to disassemble.
    Mini 14 - Now here the AR has an advantage over the Mini. Out of the box ACCURACY!
    AR 15 - Out of the box ACCURACY!
    Mini 14 - But here we can help! We can turn your Mini 14 into a rifle that will shoot right next to an AR15 after one of our conversions is completed. Now that we have discussed the pros and cons of the rifles you would have to say the Mini definitely has some advantages and we can take care of the disadvantages!
    Accuracy Systems, Inc.

Default 204 ruger

204 ruger offering Guaranteed 1/2 minute of angle or better